• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Zimbabwe in Sri Lanka 2017

DriveClub

International Regular
If anything this series and the recent WI series against India is suggesting to me that the likes of Ireland and Afghanistan still have a long way to go to catch the weakest of the other full nations.
Not really, scotland beat zimboks comfortably recently, slow low turning pitches are zimboks speciality with their army of spinners

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not really, scotland beat zimboks comfortably recently, slow low turning pitches are zimboks speciality with their army of spinners
The weird thing about how effective they were in this series is the fact that most of them aren't even real spinners. Cremer is a proper bowler and it'd be fair to call Williams a proper allrounder, but Raza and Waller (especially remodelled Waller) are just batsmen who bowl darts. Whenever I got to catch a bit of this series Zimbabwe were batting so I didn't actually see them bowl here, but you'd think if fringe Sri Lankan batsmen would be comfortable against anything, it'd be batsmen pretending to be spinners on slow turning wickets. And yet Raza especially completely dominated.

Bahseph

State Captain
Yeah on pitches like this in LO games Zimbabwe are always competitive. I don't see that being the case in Tests because their premier spinner, Cremer, whilst always a wicket taking threat, tends to go for runs. I'm not even sure Waller was bowling proper offspin. Looked like cutters ala Gunartne to me.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The weird thing about how effective they were in this series is the fact that most of them aren't even real spinners. Cremer is a proper bowler and it'd be fair to call Williams a proper allrounder, but Raza and Waller (especially remodelled Waller) are just batsmen who bowl darts. Whenever I got to catch a bit of this series Zimbabwe were batting so I didn't actually see them bowl here, but you'd think if fringe Sri Lankan batsmen would be comfortable against anything, it'd be batsmen pretending to be spinners on slow turning wickets. And yet Raza especially completely dominated.
Yes Raza's bowling is like Raina's. I haven't seen Waller bowl ever - so can't comment.

SL batting is just not good enough. Mathews is the only one who is International class. The Champions Trophy run chase against India hasn't convinced me otherwise.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes Raza's bowling is like Raina's. I haven't seen Waller bowl ever - so can't comment.
Waller's bowling history is interesting. As a youth cricketer he was primarily a bowler, but by the time he got to First Class cricket he was barely bowling at all. He started taking it more seriously for a few months and had a meteoric rise to the point where he was selected as a bowling allrounder for a couple of Tests, and even did okay in that role, but then he was suspended from bowling for chucking. He just bowls darts now since the remodelling; it'd probably be more accurate to say he bowls off cutters than actual off breaks these days, as Bahseph pointed out.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Congrats, Zimbos. Will this defeat inspire or crush SL when they face India? At the moment, they are being crushed by their media, mainly due to some selection errors like Chandimal and Lakmal.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
So good to see the Zimbos succeed where Australia failed. Hopefully this will quell the naysayers who don't want Zim to be a Test nation.

Let's hope some of the boys boys take notice of this performance and extend more invitations to Zimbabwe for tours.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wonder what has happened with Keegan Meth.
Been hanging out too much with his brother Krystal

So good to see the Zimbos succeed where Australia failed. Hopefully this will quell the naysayers who don't want Zim to be a Test nation.

Let's hope some of the boys boys take notice of this performance and extend more invitations to Zimbabwe for tours.
Not sure you know what you're talking about at all

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
How high does this rank in terms of series victories (in any format) for Zimbabwe? At a guess this would be in the top half-dozen at least.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How high does this rank in terms of series victories (in any format) for Zimbabwe? At a guess this would be in the top half-dozen at least.
It'd be up there. In terms of away series wins (excluding 1-0 smash-and-grabs) against top eight sides, this is only the second time Zimbabwe have ever done this.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just sayin' a win in Sri Lanka is no easy feat. Australia's loss in SL last year is still fresh in my memory, not having a dig at them, just happy for the ZimJims
What I was referring to was the fact that this was an ODI series. Last year Australia won the ODI series comfortably. It was the Tests where they embarrassed themselves.

Basically just refuting the "succeed where Australia failed" point, which is just false.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Hami has been around for a while now. Mire has come on leaps & bounds in the past couple of years.