• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** Zimbabwe in Kenya

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Interesting selection dilemma's coming up for Kenya, especially if you look at the averages from this series.

Several established players have just not fired and must feel under threat. Bhudia surely has done enough to earn a regular place and Odhiambo clearly needs to be rested.

I still can't understand why Onyango who is 35 gets the nod over Otieno (21) unless the latter is injured. 2009 could well be a rebuilding year for Kenya even if we qualify for the WC.
I'd have to say Patel wont be in there much longer. Ouma must be skating on thin ice and agree with you on Onyango. Is there any chance with such an important series coming up that Aga and Mishra would make themselves available? Wishful thinking and i'm just repeating myself now.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting selection dilemma's coming up for Kenya, especially if you look at the averages from this series.

Several established players have just not fired and must feel under threat. Bhudia surely has done enough to earn a regular place and Odhiambo clearly needs to be rested.

I still can't understand why Onyango who is 35 gets the nod over Otieno (21) unless the latter is injured. 2009 could well be a rebuilding year for Kenya even if we qualify for the WC.
I have this strange notion he is unavailable cos he has either gone to Uni or is doing A levels but Cricket Kenya ever say?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not a good series but they should still have enough in the tank to make it to the WC. Waters despite a poor series is going to be a decent to good opener whilst the absence of Odoyo is huge. Thomas is up there with Ryan ten Doeschate as the best associate cricketer going.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Was a poor series from the Kenyans for sure. If they could field the following team i'd tip them to cruise through qualifiers: Waters, K.Otieno, Obanda, Tikolo, Mishra, C.Obuya, Odoyo, Aga, Bhudia, Varaiya, Ongondo. Reserves: Kamande, D.Obuya, E.Otieno, Ouma, Luseno. Prob should've posted this in non test playing nations thread. Oh well. This is if all those players were available of course.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Not a good series but they should still have enough in the tank to make it to the WC. Waters despite a poor series is going to be a decent to good opener whilst the absence of Odoyo is huge. Thomas is up there with Ryan ten Doeschate as the best associate cricketer going.
True, the middle order was utterly rudderless and the seam bowlers lacked control and were expensive, both things I suspect down to Odoyo's absence. I certinly hope there is some dressing down going on in the dressing room cos even counting for that it was a less than acceptable showing from the team.

Nonetheless there actually were positives. Kamande continues to bat well and could have been the future (were he not 30), Him an in form Obanda and a fully fit Odoyo and Collins Obuya could from a very solid middle order. Throw in Tikolo and Ouma (not the Ouma who scratches around for entirely too long then gives out his wicket for very little) and that could be a really manacing middle order. Both openersneed a big score soon, for the sake of confidence.

Hopefully the World cup Qualifiers will see Kenya witha lineup looking something like this.

1. Seren Waters
  2. Kennedy Otieno
  3. Alex Obanda
  4. *Steve Tikolo
  5. +Morris Ouma
  6. Collins Obuya
  7. Thomas Odoyo[b2]
  8. James Kamande
  9. Ragheb Aga/Rajesh Bhudia[b3]
  10. Hiren Varaiya[b4]
  11. Peter Ongondo[b1]

With Tikolo, Obuya and Kamande sharing 5th bowler duties

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
True, the middle order was utterly rudderless and the seam bowlers lacked control and were expensive, both things I suspect down to Odoyo's absence. I certinly hope there is some dressing down going on in the dressing room cos even counting for that it was a less than acceptable showing from the team.

Nonetheless there actually were positives. Kamande continues to bat well and could have been the future (were he not 30), Him an in form Obanda and a fully fit Odoyo and Collins Obuya could from a very solid middle order. Throw in Tikolo and Ouma (not the Ouma who scratches around for entirely too long then gives out his wicket for very little) and that could be a really manacing middle order. Both openersneed a big score soon, for the sake of confidence.

Hopefully the World cup Qualifiers will see Kenya witha lineup looking something like this.

1. Seren Waters
  2. Kennedy Otieno
  3. Alex Obanda
  4. *Steve Tikolo
  5. +Morris Ouma
  6. Collins Obuya
  7. Thomas Odoyo[b2]
  8. James Kamande
  9. Ragheb Aga/Rajesh Bhudia[b3]
  10. Hiren Varaiya[b4]
  11. Peter Ongondo[b1]

With Tikolo, Obuya and Kamande sharing 5th bowler duties
Hopefully Waters gets the ok to play - don' the WC Qualifiers occur when the county season is beginning?

Steulen

International Regular
Random RTD mention. Good man.

Chubb

International Regular
This has been a very encouraging series for Zimbabwe. It would be foolish to herald the dawn of a new era, but there is no doubt that they have improved- by how much is difficult to quantify, but they did do well. All the players except Dabengwa contributed in some way and hopefully they can take the confidence they gained forward.

It is however extremely disappointing to see the Herald trying to use this series as a means to attack the "racists" who banned Chingoka et al. You can't expect anything better.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
Very poor series from Kenya - only one game where they even looked like winning, and that they somehow contrived to lose.

Still, there are a couple of positives at least, mostly individual performances with the bat:

C Obuya
J Kamande
A Obanda
R Bhudia
H Varaiya

all made PBs with the bat. If they had been able to gel these together in the same match, things could have been a bit better.

Bhudia took his first wickets and showed signs that he could be the answer to the bowling all rounder role currently occupied by Odhiambo. Otherwise the bowling was pretty much a debacle. some serious work is needed here before the WCQs.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
This has been a very encouraging series for Zimbabwe. It would be foolish to herald the dawn of a new era, but there is no doubt that they have improved- by how much is difficult to quantify, but they did do well. All the players except Dabengwa contributed in some way and hopefully they can take the confidence they gained forward.

It is however extremely disappointing to see the Herald trying to use this series as a means to attack the "racists" who banned Chingoka et al. You can't expect anything better.
Just like The Standard is likely to use this series as an excuse to attack the racists/incompetents/god knows what they will be labelled next...who run Cricket Kenya.