• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Zimbabwe in Australia Thread

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eclipse said:
it's a pitty the selectors have screwed Wishart around so much because he would have to be there most talented batsman apart form the Flowers and Prehaps Vermulan.
Goodwin....

Andre

International Regular
McGrath ruled out of the first Test.

See front page report for further details.

Chubb

International Regular
Wishart was Zimbabwe's Hick for a long time, you know. He is a murderer of ordinary bowling, but very rarely gets big scores against top class players. His test average is 23 odd I think. Not ggod enough. As far as I can see, Vermeulen is the most talented Zimbabwe batsman at the moment. They have lots of talent, but it is too raw at the moment to compete against Australia. maybe 6 years on, however...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
with McGrath out, at least Bichel should get a descant go, which he kinda deserves, being the most capped 12th man ever. It also will more than likley give Brett Lee the new ball, which will be very dangerous for the Zimbabwean Batsmen

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
with McGrath out, at least Bichel should get a descant go, which he kinda deserves, being the most capped 12th man ever. It also will more than likley give Brett Lee the new ball, which will be very dangerous for the Zimbabwean Batsmen
They said he would be dangerous for the English batsmen who are supposively "weak" but nothing happened...

I'd think Gilly if he's fit will be the main threat.

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The first test starts on Thursday...

:O

Usually by September, my footy team is not in the finals (Panthers in the NRL), so I start the countdown to the start of the cricket season.

But seeing that my team not only qualified for the finals this year, but won the whole bloody thing, I may be a bit of a slow starter this year. At the moment, all I can think about is the Panthers...

And usually the season starts with a Blues ING Cup match at North Sydney... this year, it starts with a TEST MATCH. And about two weeks earlier than usual.

Me no complain... I feel like I have the best of both worlds at the moment.

I'm looking forward to the Zimbabwe game. Their form against the Warriors looked promising - hopefully it can carry on into the Test arena. The last thing I want is yet another dreadfully one sided series, like Bangladesh was.

Unfortunately, it may happen. But not as bad though.

Craig

World Traveller
Unfortunatly I will probably wont get to see much of the Test or any part of it.

Damn I hate work.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
They said he would be dangerous for the English batsmen who are supposively "weak" but nothing happened...

I'd think Gilly if he's fit will be the main threat.
He has improved a bit since then. Even when he does not take wickets for us he does add somthing to the team in that the oposition hate facing him.

But what he did do to the England batsman Trescothick in patricualr was really shake him up.

He bowled an extreamly fast spell to him at the WACA in the second innings just constantly hitting him on the body and eventualy got him out cought fending off the glove.

I will tell you it's my personal opinion that it was that spell in particular that triggerd his poor form for the rest of the summer.

iamdavid

International Debutant
What do you think is the likely Zimbabwe XI-
Id be counting on
1.T.Gripper
2.D.Ebrahim
3.S.Carlisle
4.C.Wishart
5.M.Vermeulan
6.+T.Taibu
7.A.Blignaut
8.*H.Streak
9.S.Ervine
10.R.Price
11.D.Hondo(if fit , G.Brent if not)

And of course the Aussie team is a formality-
1.J.Langer
2.M.Hayden
3.R.Ponting
4.D.Lehmann
5.*S.Waugh
6.D.Martyn
7.+A.Gilchrist
8.A.Bichel
9.B.Lee
10.J.Gillespie
11.S.MacGill

Andre

International Regular
Yeah, that looks about right for Zimbabwe - move Vermeulen to 3 and Hondo/Brent to 10 and I think it is spot on :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Andre said:
Yeah, that looks about right for Zimbabwe - move Vermeulen to 3 and Hondo/Brent to 10 and I think it is spot on :)
Ray Price can bat. Doug Hondo can't. They were the right way round first time :P

Top five are fairly interchangeable, as are Streak, Blignaut and Ervine.

In fact, there isn't that much between 1-10.

Andre

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
Ray Price can bat. Doug Hondo can't. They were the right way round first time :P
Correct me if I am wrong, but I saw Hondo getting 88 in a domestic match recently - the same one Grant Flower broke his finger in from memory.

Anyway, a trivial point :P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Didn't see that, but don't pay much attention at all to Zimbabwean domestic cricket.

I'm going off the fact that Price looked like he knew what he was doing last summer in England whereas Hondo most certainly didn't.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah price looks very handy...

Sad to see that Brian Murphy has quit Zimbabwe cricket... Again hardly surprising.. He had connections with Unis in SA, and a better spinner seems to have taken his place :(

Every Zim wicket and run will be cheered in my household anyway...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just like to be the first to tip Matt Hayden for a ton if his first two shots are anything to go by. Gee he looks like he's hitting the ball VERY well already.

Kimbo

International Debutant
just not cricket

In trying to make the test uniforms as ugly as the one day ones the aussies have a hideous sponsors logo (is it 3 mobile?). Very big logo, very silver and very neon orange... uckk...

but still no match for the canary yellow...

theyre going along well though, hard to judge against zim though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Dismal 376/3 at close. Zimbabwe picked the XI we expected with the exception of Hondo, replaced by Craig Evans.

Martyn 183* (266b, 22x4, 3x6)

Kimbo

International Debutant
Think you mean Hayden. He's on 183* batting with Steve Waugh at the moment on 59* I believe.