• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* World Test Championship Final at The Oval – June 7–11, 2023

subshakerz

International Coach
Having watched every ball of the past nine Test matches (in a relatively short amount of time) between these two - I’m not sure if either side is actually all that good, with Australia being slightly better overall but both teams have pretty significant weaknesses.
Without Pant and Bumrah for India, Australia is definitely a better allround team.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I have seen million games where teams get to 150-180 for 3 at stumps on fourth day chasing big scores giving high hopes to the fans only to lose both set players bang bang early next day

There is a reason why I can count the number of times teams chased 400 plus in the history by fingers of my right hand. Its very difficult
Bazball has definitely changed the landscape here.....you get a wicket that's not doing much days 4 and 5 and anything is chaseable now.

Be interesting to see 3rd innings declarations going forward....will captain's be more wary leaving the back door open? We already know Stokes will go for broke (im not a particular fan ftr especially when there's a series on the line) how will other captain's view things?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopefully one positive we can take away from this game is to get Starc shelved for the tour at least, so as not to cost us the Ashes. He's an absolute liability. If Haze is fit either him or Neser need to play ahead of Starc

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopefully one positive we can take away from this game is to get Starc shelved for the tour at least, so as not to cost us the Ashes. He's an absolute liability. If Haze is fit either him or Neser need to play ahead of Starc
Yep that's the way I'd be going if I was Australia. He seems to get picked on his upside, the fact he bowls with his left arm and the potential of his feet in regards to Nathan Lyon, rather than actual performance. As I said a couple of days ago, I think England will be thrilled if he plays. And he will, and Australia will try and guess where he'll be effective.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't watched the last couple of days, but this declaration was made with at least one eye to Birmingham in 5 days time, right?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Neser needs to play really

can’t trust whowood

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Earlier I didn't really mind who won (would've preferred a draw tbh), but now I'm supporting the Aussies (oi, oi, oi) after the terrible reaction of Indian fans and even players to Green's fair catch.

morgieb

Yeah, you really can't complain when you set 444 with 4 and a half sessions to get it. Any later and India probably just shut up shop. It hasn't helped that Australia have bowled poorly.

Still, there's not a whole lot of batting to come after these two.

Starc really has to go unless he can blast out the rest of the batting lineup. Although I do fear a Cummins/Boland/Neser attack might be a tad sameish and could be easily attacked. But even with England's lineup I think it should be easier to attack out of form bowlers rather than bowlers just because they're a bit slow.

morgieb

Bazball has definitely changed the landscape here.....you get a wicket that's not doing much days 4 and 5 and anything is chaseable now.

Be interesting to see 3rd innings declarations going forward....will captain's be more wary leaving the back door open? We already know Stokes will go for broke (im not a particular fan ftr especially when there's a series on the line) how will other captain's view things?
I think if 450+ starts being chasable you might genuinely see sides bowl first on otherwise neutral wickets if they think the pitches won't fall apart. Which in some ways would be an even bigger landscape change than sides being more conservative on declarations.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have seen million games where teams get to 150-180 for 3 at stumps on fourth day chasing big scores giving high hopes to the fans only to lose both set players bang bang early next day

There is a reason why I can count the number of times teams chased 400 plus in the history by fingers of my right hand. Its very difficult
Yeah, honestly I am pretty proud of the fight the side has shown and it has been a hallmark of this side over a number of years now. We were very bad on days 1 and 2, esp. day 1 and it is gonna cost us a world championship. :(

But, like OS said, I can see many sides go down very badly after that kind of day 1 and 2, and so I am glad that this is at least a discussion going into day 5.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, you really can't complain when you set 444 with 4 and a half sessions to get it.
Ahhhh...I thought this was a six-day Test, I didn't realise it was only six to cover weather (as happened last year). My declaration post looks stupid in regards to this new information.