• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***World Cup 2011 Qualifiers

Which 4 countries do you think will make the cut?

• Total voters

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed. What amazes me is that here you have a country within an hour's flying from London with a sufficient number of homegrown players, with truckloads of money, leisure time, and green fields....and they get completely ignored! Why do the Test nations coming to England not play 2 ODI's in Amsterdam first?

IIRC Sri Lanka were the only one, last year, and they came at the end of the tour and clearly wanted to go home. Why are the West Indies and Australia not doing the same, before their respective ODI series against England start?
That Australia tour is ludicrously long already, they're here for about four months. Although maybe with Scotland losing ODI status that match would be replaced in future. Unless the counties release players, though, they'll get a much better warm-up against a county side... and I can't see a county side wanting to release a player for that kind of match. Or lose their own lucrative warm-up matches.

Though... would be interesting to see what Symonds would get up to in Holland!

Steulen

International Regular
Final WCQ Predictor Comp standings...

1. Samuel Vimes 46
2. Alvarez, Laksh_01, Uppercut 43
5. Steulen, Chemosit 42
7. Neil Pickup 39
8. Athlai, Kweek 37
10. Andruid 32

This is probably Norway's biggest achievement in the history of cricket! Well done Moerk!

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed. What amazes me is that here you have a country within an hour's flying from London with a sufficient number of homegrown players, with truckloads of money, leisure time, and green fields....and they get completely ignored! Why do the Test nations coming to England not play 2 ODI's in Amsterdam first?

IIRC Sri Lanka were the only one, last year, and they came at the end of the tour and clearly wanted to go home. Why are the West Indies and Australia not doing the same, before their respective ODI series against England start?
my point exactly!
just very hard to understand, why the ICC would not target the easiest country!
but probably end up investing more time and money in a war shredden 3rd world country called Afghanistan.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
True. maybe they sacked the normal guy

Possibly. From what I can gather, the Kenyan press are very negative towards cricket. Also, havent really hears anything since the elections. Maybe they were waiting to see how they fared at the qualifiers first.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
maybe if the test ststus teams are ranked 6th - 8th in the odi rankings they are obligated to play a 3 match series with the associate members.. currently this would be england, sri lanka and WI..

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member

Don't most sides these days play Scotland or Ireland in ODIs during England tours. Your not going to get sides going to all three countries. Also the fact that all three sides barely play at full strength for those tour matches. Means most sides will probably rather play a county side where they will get a decent hit out.

I do agree it should be rotated more often and the dutch should get more of those games. But Ireland and Scotland are closer aren't they. Though overall sides do a decent job of playing the smaller sides in England tours.

It is the South Africa tours that need to be looked at and the lack of games for Kenya, Namibia or Uganda.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course. What happened the last time Sri Lanka played the Dutch, got 400, didn't they?
Yeah, and they were all out for 80 against WI.

It would be good to see associates play more against bigger teams, but only if they're a sensible contest.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, and they were all out for 80 against WI.

It would be good to see associates play more against bigger teams, but only if they're a sensible contest.
Actually the first game, Sri Lanka got 443 (:laugh:) but the second game they only won by 55 runs (with no Jaya, Malinga, captain, Vaas et cetera). This was after Sri Lanka had toured England.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Ireland/Holland/Kenya need to be beating Zimbabwe and Bangladesh at least 30-40% of the time over a couple of years before adding more ODI's against other teams. The number against Zim, especially, could be stepped up though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
and Sri Lanka were in the form of their lives...
Yeah. They were hot, just beat England 5 zip in the ODI's.

Maybe if such games are going to take place, it would better at the start of a tour. Sri Lanka were awful at the start of that series...

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Ireland/Holland/Kenya need to be beating Zimbabwe and Bangladesh at least 30-40% of the time over a couple of years before adding more ODI's against other teams. The number against Zim, especially, could be stepped up though.
give us a chance?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
give us a chance?
I don't think there's a lot to be gained by one-sided matches for the associates either, though. Better to build confidence by winning matches against closer teams than just getting thrashed constantly. One or two matches against big teams for publicity, but not overload, because there's the T20 WC and the WC that gives that opportunity too. Perhaps more A-teams that tour England could bolt on trips to Holland and Ireland too.