• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Women's World Cup 2022

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah, leave the boundaries. This was a massively engaging tournament and I wouldn't change a thing. You know, apart from my team being pretty rubbish.

I dunno if it was because it was the worst summer in my lifetime for men's cricket, but I just loved it from the first game against the Windies. And people around me did too - people I thought I'd never be discussing women's cricket with.

I absolutely begrudge any view that women's sport should get the same exposure, money, whatever than men's sport if it isn't engaging. And the last month or so have been massively engaging. The striking is great. The fielding (certainly Australia) is athletic, it's sharp. The bowling is getting quicker, they're bowling bouncers, spinners like Ecclestone are top quality. And the passion they play with as well, those close finishes were absolutely gripping - I watched so many games I didn't expect to watch after looking on cricinfo and seeing it was getting close.

Real shame about the crowds not being allowed for the pool matches, which in turn ruled out any crowds for NZ. But women's cricket is trending upwards, I loved it.

I do worry about NZ, though. So, so far behind Australia it's a different sport and going to fall further behind England and probably India with their domestic comps as well. We need to get as many players into those comps (BBL, Hundred, women's IPL) and start putting more resources into our game, not only at international level but in the pathways as well so young women want to be White Ferns.
I've said this before but strongly believe that women's LO cricket, especially women's ODI cricket, is a flat out better product on raw sporting merit than men's ODI cricket. It's legitimately more interesting to watch. The balance between bat and ball is just so much better and there's so much more tension and variety in the sort of games you get when it's not just "lmao let's just roll down 350 with six wickets in hand ezpz" once every two or three games and there's a broader variety of skills on show, not the massive imbalance towards power boundary hitting which has dominated the last decade of men's ODIs.

Spark

Global Moderator
Like the most interesting and competitive cricket in the whole home Aus summer was that cracking women's Aus vs India series right at the start of the summer. Imagine saying that fifteen to twenty years ago.

Flem274*

123/5
Compl
I've said this before but strongly believe that women's LO cricket, especially women's ODI cricket, is a flat out better product on raw sporting merit than men's ODI cricket. It's legitimately more interesting to watch. The balance between bat and ball is just so much better and there's so much more tension and variety in the sort of games you get when it's not just "lmao let's just roll down 350 with six wickets in hand ezpz" once every two or three games and there's a broader variety of skills on show, not the massive imbalance towards power boundary hitting which has dominated the last decade of men's ODIs.
this is my view except mainly applied to t20s. Women's BBL is the best T20 competition on earth, with the various true domestic T20 leagues second.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've got great news for you, you can watch that level of cricket with similar dimensions, tactics, skill etc. at any game of 3rd or 4th XI grade cricket in Australia. Not saying it's the same appeal as a game of 2 teams representing their country playing each other but if the issue you have with men's ODIs is that it's too bat-friendly, most local clubs stream their games these days and are generally much lower scoring.