• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Women's Cricket discussion thread

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i have lost all respect for Womens cricket after seeing the Aus under 19's championships here in Canberra earlier this month, the boundaries are so small. They are only another 15 meters bigger than the inner circle i play on!

Simon

Belinda Clark has always been the number 1 player, but she isnt what she used to be now.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Emily Drumm from NZ would probably do better at the top of the NZ men's order than most around.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
One English player, Sarah Collyer I think, played in a FC match for a Uni last year, the 1st woman to play in a full match! I know men and women's cricket will never mix but it is an encouraging sign.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Interestingly are there any rules which say women cannot play in for example a FC/List A game or international match?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Bazza said:
Interestingly are there any rules which say women cannot play in for example a FC/List A game or international match?
I don't think there is a rule. If there was it would be ***ist.

Top_Cat

I don't think there's a 'written' rule at all but the damn 'unwritten' one would get in the way. See, cricket is quite a macho game in terms of the attitudes prevalent in it (not letting women into the Long Room at Lords???? Geez, at least get past the 50's and then enter the 90's for crying out loud!) and unfortunately I don't think we'd see a woman playing FC cricket (especially in Australia) anytime soon.

Simon

There are a few Women playing in my grade cricket competition.
Problem with women cricketers is that they are too weak, they are workers of the ball not hitters. If you look at most womens one day scores 180 off 50 overs tends to be a winning total.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
not necesarily true...Australia hit 230 off NZ the other day & now NZ reached 240 against India today.

Simon

i was talking more generally at fc level,in the womens national league in Aus scores of over 200 dont happen every time if they bat out 50 overs unlike mens.

Kimbo

International Debutant
There are plenty of female hitters around...
Karen Rolton and Rebecca Rolls are certainly NOT workers of the ball.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
broncoman said:
i have lost all respect for Womens cricket after seeing the Aus under 19's championships here in Canberra earlier this month, the boundaries are so small. They are only another 15 meters bigger than the inner circle i play on!
That is certainly not the case in the senior club cricket I play. We play on the same grounds at the mens senior cricket sometimes.

At State level they are a little bit smaller but I would think that it would be by a few metres at the most. We play at grounds like Carisbrook so I would know how much the boundries have been brought in.

As for wokers of the ball. I don't know how u can say that. Some players are but then some are in mens cricket as well. I would say that Rolls is very similar to Cairns. Lets just say you don't really want to be bowling at her once she gets wound up.

Bazza

International 12th Man
In fairness though could a woman have the strength, speed etc to hit a 90+ mph ball back over the bowler's head for 4/6?

I think it would be good for womens cricket though if some of the better players could appear in mens county cricket for example, or at least 2nd XIs playing against the best youngsters/fringe players.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think some women would have the speed and strength. Alot of that is not strength but timing.

I think some of New Zealands better players could perform in the state mens cricket.

I also know that before the world cup in 2000 Karen Rolton played club cricket in the mens top grade for higher competition.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I said Men and Women's cricket would never mix, it's due mostly to the fact that men and women are totally different physically and it wouldn't be fair. But if your good and female then of course you would still put away some rubbish bowling by a guy...

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I'm not saying that Women are as good because I know that they are not as strong etc.

A talented player of any *** should be able to punish bad bowling. That is not the making of a good player though. A good player should be able to destroy good bowling at a high level.

In the Canterbury womens team we spend alot of time in the indoor nets. The Wizards(canterbury mens team) also train there and will bowl to us or we will bowl to them. We may not be able to smash them all around the park but at least we can handle that pace and quality bowling.

Some of the best female players in the world (ie Rolton, Drumm) would be able to play very well at a high level in mens standards.

I also remember Emily Drumm bowling out Atherton in a invertion match.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Do you mean invitation match??? thats a shocker tamara :lol:

I think that its harder for women to handle the strength of the men but it doesnt mean that women are less skillful. Just because men hit the ball harder and bowl faster doesn't mean that women are useless. The women's game is therefore very different to mens cricket.

There arent many women who can worry the batsmen with pace so they focus on other things like swing, and accuracy...