• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies Tour of the UK 2017

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So Cummins in this and no Joseph or Gabriel... odd

btw

Cummins - Walsh
Joseph - Ambrose
Gabriel - Bishop

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I managed to see most of today's play which was nice. There has been a lot of rain around in Essex over the last few days and it was apparent, the ball moved around all day and the batsmen never seemed truly comfortable. For Essex I thought young Sam Cook looks a decent prospect, particularly with the new ball which he really got to move around and what I guess will have been the low 80mph range.

As for our batters, it was actually a pretty decent display as the Essex bowlers were very disciplined and the ball moved around all day.

Kraigg - Well he was his usual self. Not the prettiest or most entertaining to watch live but he did an excellent job and was only dismissed by a ball that pitch on middle and swung late to hit the top of off stump. He plays very late which I hope means he will score a fair few runs here.

Powell - Played a couple of nice shots before being bowled by one that decked back in sharply. I do worry about his confidence, it must be low.

Kyle Hope - Looked very good for the 30 balls he was in before becoming over-expansive and inside edging onto the stumps. Interesting battle with Powell for the openers slot.

Shai Hope - Another one who looked solid before trying to whip an insiwnger from the left arm seamer through midwicket and being bowled.

Chase - Looked really rusty for the first 2 hours or so of his innings. He got beaten outside off stump pretty regularly. But as it progressed. He started unfurling those classy drives and looked much better. He was dismissed by an inswinging Yorker.

Blackwood - Best batsman on display today. Hit everything from the middle of the bat and scored very quickly. He lost concentration after reaching 50 which was disappointing. Tried to ondrive Ten Doeschate, missed and was lbw.

Dowrich - Batted with the tail so didn't have long but has looked very good in his innings so far. His footwork is very decisive.

Holder and Bishoo didn't really spend long enough at the crease to make judgement. If it remains overcast, tomorrow will be an excellent opportunity for Roach and Cummins to make a case for selection given that Gabriel and Joseph are being rested.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I follow these guys on IG, and Blackwood has been doing a lot of training in the batting department, with various techniques of playing the ball. He is the hardest worker in the team.

Although I didn't watch the day's play, I really enjoyed that partnership between him and Roston.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This would have been the windies team i'd like to have seen
Braithwaite
Powell
Bravo
S. Hope
Chase
Cornwall
Dowrich
Holder
Roche
Joseph
Gabriel

Obviously would still have shiv but have given up any hope of a comeback
There's no way Cornwall should be batting six - even just within the context of the lineup you selected he'd clearly bat below Dowrich and Holder.

Beamer

I follow these guys on IG, and Blackwood has been doing a lot of training in the batting department, with various techniques of playing the ball. He is the hardest worker in the team.

Although I didn't watch the day's play, I really enjoyed that partnership between him and Roston.
Blackwood was utterly dominant today in tricky conditions. He needs to convert more 50s to hundreds though, he lost the plot mentally shortly after he got to 50.

Starfighter

The lack of Bravo in the squad is annoying. Also Roach's recall is interesting. He returned good figures in a couple of FC matches but in the only footage I've seen of him bowling this year he doesn't really look different to the bowler who got belted in Australia.

Beamer

The lack of Bravo in the squad is annoying. Also Roach's recall is interesting. He returned good figures in a couple of FC matches but in the only footage I've seen of him bowling this year he doesn't really look different to the bowler who got belted in Australia.
I'm slightly concerned by kemar's recall too. He did seem to be bowling slightly quicker, perhaps up to a top speed of around 140kph, but nowhere near his previous pace. Still, when he's right he's a world class bowler so I guess it is worth the risk.

Starfighter

He'd have to be behind Gabriel and Joseph by now, but I wonder if he'd be ahead of Cummins. You' this neither of them would get picked outside of injury though, unless they decide to drop Bishoo and go with four quicks.

It's a shame how beset by injuries Roach has been over the past few years, as he certainly has been world class at times. Although his last five matches yielded 2/349.
I remember his pace was talked about on the Aus tour but I don't think he's been really quick since he changed his bowling action for the first time in 2011, more high 130's topping out low 140's sort of pace, and even slower more recently.

Here's his limited overs stuff from this year. A bit more zip than on the Aus tour, but his control seems a bit iffy?

Last edited: