• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

mackembhoy

International Debutant
It was faint but I saw a small mark on HotSpot.
Yeah there was a mark and the snicko has lines at the same time as the hotspot mark occurs.

Fine decision which doesn't get given without hotspot probably. Bring it back for all games alongside.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Great day for us either way tbh. With this side I couldn't have dreamed we'd be in this position in a pink ball test against Australia. We've out performed much better international sides with our performance on this tour so far.

Lets just try not to disgrace ourselves with the best tomorrow and make a game of it.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I agree, though it's usually to Lyon standing close that he has more problems because of his IMO odd technique (what else is new for Smith)
I'm more thinking of the midriff-chest height ones off the fast bowlers. They're more difficult than lower ones because the hand positioning is very awkward, but while I can't remember him dropping many recently in the '10s he used to put them down regularly.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Your TV's must be insane, I watched it on the highest quality possible on my TV (dunno if its 4K or not being Sky Sport NZ) and could not see anything on Hotspot.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Your TV's must be insane, I watched it on the highest quality possible on my TV (dunno if its 4K or not being Sky Sport NZ) and could not see anything on Hotspot.
What broadcaster? Channel 7 showed a pretty clear close up and Ponting and co pointed it out. It was really quite obvious up close, but very faint

Spark

Global Moderator
There is a mark IMO but it's so small and insubstantial that you can't determine if it's due to the impact or not without using some other method to determine if it's real.

Which of course naturally makes one ask, what is the point of Hotspot? (Answer: there isn't one)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There is a mark IMO but it's so small and insubstantial that you can't determine if it's due to the impact or not without using some other method to determine if it's real.

Which of course naturally makes one ask, what is the point of Hotspot? (Answer: there isn't one)
It appeared at the exact spot the ball passed, at the exact moment the ball passed. I posit that you absolutely can determine that it's due to the impact

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
With the way they've batted this series, almost as if Brathwaite & Chanderpaul were dual night-watchmen for the rest of the side.

In that context they did their job.

Spark

Global Moderator
It appeared at the exact spot the ball passed, at the exact moment the ball passed. I posit that you absolutely can determine that it's due to the impact
It's less that and more "am I actually seeing a mark at the point I expect it to be or hallucinating it" that's the issue

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Think it's only the 2nd time this century that the West Indies have gotten a 1st innings lead in a Test in Australia (09/10 @ Adelaide was the other time).

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
There was a mark on hotspot which was visible at full size, and then it became invisible when they shrank the picture to include a splitscreen of the players standing around which they do for some reason.

Makes me wonder what size monitor the third umpire has, though he'd be closer to it than to a full-size television.