• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in South Africa 2022/23

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
My West Indies side for India:

Braithwaite
Chanderpaul
Bravo
King
Athanaze
Da Silva (wk)
Mayers
Holder
Joseph
Roach
Motie

Reserves
Blackwood (keep around for his experience and back up)
Thomas (back up middle order/keeper)
Seales (what a bowler to be able to bring in)
Reifer (useful utility player)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Braithwaite
Chanderpaul
Bravo
King
Athanaze
Da Silva (wk)
Mayers
Holder
Joseph
Roach
Motie

Reserves
Given my "SOS Pooran and Hetmyer" calls are obviously a level of unrealistic not even really worth considering, I would also pick exactly this. Might possibly start with Blackwood ahead of Athanaze but gut feel is 'burn them all'.

WICFan

U19 Captain
Given my "SOS Pooran and Hetmyer" calls are obviously a level of unrealistic not even really worth considering, I would also pick exactly this. Might possibly start with Blackwood ahead of Athanaze but gut feel is 'burn them all'.
Hetmyer didn't play in the recent Inter-County matches in Guyana, Sarwan has dropped him.

WICFan

U19 Captain

Braithwaite
Chanderpaul
Bravo
King
Athanaze
Da Silva (wk)
Mayers
Holder
Joseph
Roach
Motie

Reserves
Probably replace Reifer with Cariah as the only change to your squad.

South Africa have depth and quality in that attack, but again, they need better pitches in the Caribbean. You could see the problems the batsmen had here with that little extra bounce.

Beamer

I would have Pooran there as well but I just don't see it happening. Hety is not getting good advice from those close to him and therefore will not be playing got us in any format any time soon.

Howe_zat

Audio File
SA's broader bowling group is up there with India and Aus IMO, and better than England. That says a lot for a team that I'd probably rank about 6th. Their batting is properly putrid.
Thinking about it, who actually has a better batting lineup than attack at the moment? Obviously not these two sides, nor India or England. Aus are pretty decent all-round but their big question mark right now is who opens, and maybe their keeper-bat.

Pakistan and NZ are probably the only candidates for it but that's probably only because they're struggling to keep their bowlers fit right now (and in the case of Pakistan, playing in batting conditions) rather than having notably better first choice batters than bowlers.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ by some, some way. Even with Jamieson and Boult available I'd say.
Ehh, henry-jamieson-southee-boult are a good attack and NZ are fielding a nonexistent #4 and have a #7 who's more suited to #8/9 based on current returns. They've got 5 phenomenal bats but the gap isn't that large at full strength.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thinking about it, who actually has a better batting lineup than attack at the moment? Obviously not these two sides, nor India or England. Aus are pretty decent all-round but their big question mark right now is who opens, and maybe their keeper-bat.
Australia's bowling holds up better overseas than their batting, especially now that they seem to have found a second and third spinner.

Because bowlers are both swapped out for conditions and injured a lot more than batsmen I tend to think of a 'bowling group' of around 7 or 8 rather than just a first choice attack, in which case the following teams definitely have better batting than bowling:
New Zealand
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Zimbabwe

England are interesting. I think if we adjust our expectations as to what constitutes a good batting/bowling record based on the fact that we're in a bowling era, and recognise that England's broad bowling group would realistically include Rehan and/or Jacks, their batting might actually be better now - especially if they can successfully get one of their middle order bats to take to opening when Bairstow comes back. That would seem like a crazy thing to say a few months ago.

Bangladesh are hard to say too. I think I'd put their batting marginally ahead of their bowling given how bad their seamers are, even though they can't really bat away from home either.

Last edited:

Beamer

So I can't even be arsed to follow this white ball series tbh. They've selected more or less the same group that sucked at the World Cup, ignored all of the post world cup reports recommendations (the one by Lara, Micky Arthur and a Judge). I don't see how they can select that same group and expect any different results? There's no-one new at all to watch with the future in mind. Literally the only mildly interesting thing is Shai Hope's captaincy which from what I have seen so far is pretty run of the mill.

I'll be watching our FC matches instead hoping to identify some proper batsmen for the numbers 3, 4 and 5 slots in the test side!

Presume the thinking here is with only 6 months to the wc there just isn't time to go for inexperienced players. Hence falling back on Parnell.

Mulder out of West Indies ODIs, Parnell named replacement
Seems like an extremely conservative selection tbh, the same sort of nonesense we get from Dessie et all.