• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in South Africa 2022/23

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
We don't know who those players are. Not really. And I don't think that either Reeza or Rillee are in our best players.
Rilee Rossouw pound for pound most explosive batsman in SA cricket. I mean he's got two T20 hundreds last year at a SR of 172 ..only De Kock in the top 3 can provide that sort of explosiveness and he has a dodgy record in World Cups ..to not even try him out in lead up to a world cup is a waste .

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like the spinners have been enjoying themselves at the Wanderers domestically this season but that could be more an indication of the batsman and their quality as opposed to the conditions. No brainer to have Maharaj and Harmer play if it is on the coast, they could even take the new ball again at Kingsmead but last test at the Wanderers, spin got 1 wicket all game and that was Ashwin in the 4th innings.
Also, and unless Jansen isn't fit, he should be playing.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I honestly don’t care. I don’t think SA have a hope in the WC this year. I think RR is a very hit and miss batsmen that is not likely to help us win a WC. He may win us a game but not a WC. Particularly with such an unknown and unsettled top 6, that he won’t help solidify. If we had a batting unit that guaranteed us 270+ more often than not with RR adding an explosive component, then sure. Not were SA cricket is at, nowhere near that.

CSA have also clearly indicated they are targeting the 2027 WC. So it makes far more sense to build for that than pick RR. I don’t agree with current ODI team selection anyway, but we shall see what happens.

Edit: @Kenneth Viljoen

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Markram is easily a lock as he is the only one who can also bowl in that batting order
Makram averages less than 30 in odi's with the bat and SA are already fielding 5 bowlers with Jansen at 7 and weakening in the process. If there gonna stick with this in LOI they need the strongest top 6 possible, makram shouldn't just be persisted with because he bowls.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Is that really the case with the ODI top 6? You'd have to think that De Kock, Van der Dussen, Miller, and Bavuma are locks, and it looks like Markram may be heading that way too.
I suppose so; but for me most of those 'locks' should not be there... unfairly perhaps but I think of VDD as the Voges of SA LO cricket when it comes down to it. Yes he has done spectacularly well to avg 61 in 41 matches.... but I think it is a total inflation of his actual cricketing ability, that is keeping better players out of the team. When he comes in to play I still don't feel any increased confidence in the SA batting order. Bavuma has to open but honestly we need to move on from him at this stage. That leaves only De Kock and Miller in my mind. Markram is probably next position locked, but still has lots to do still to prove himself. I look at the current top 6 selected and shrug my shoulders and go meh... nothing really excites and makes me think this is a good top 6 that can win a tournament. And RR does not change that feeling (which was the discussion I was having). Hopefully I`m proved wrong, probably won't be though. And mostly I would just like us to move on and rebuild with the younger talent we do have available.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Looks like the spinners have been enjoying themselves at the Wanderers domestically this season but that could be more an indication of the batsman and their quality as opposed to the conditions. No brainer to have Maharaj and Harmer play if it is on the coast, they could even take the new ball again at Kingsmead but last test at the Wanderers, spin got 1 wicket all game and that was Ashwin in the 4th innings.
Also, and unless Jansen isn't fit, he should be playing.
Agree with the Jansen part , but not too worried about the two spinners , cause Harmer and Maharaj are prolific they sure know how to hunt if there is any assistance they will find it .

Bahseph

State Captain
I suppose so; but for me most of those 'locks' should not be there... unfairly perhaps but I think of VDD as the Voges of SA LO cricket when it comes down to it. Yes he has done spectacularly well to avg 61 in 41 matches.... but I think it is a total inflation of his actual cricketing ability, that is keeping better players out of the team. When he comes in to play I still don't feel any increased confidence in the SA batting order. Bavuma has to open but honestly we need to move on from him at this stage. That leaves only De Kock and Miller in my mind. Markram is probably next position locked, but still has lots to do still to prove himself. I look at the current top 6 selected and shrug my shoulders and go meh... nothing really excites and makes me think this is a good top 6 that can win a tournament. And RR does not change that feeling (which was the discussion I was having). Hopefully I`m proved wrong, probably won't be though. And mostly I would just like us to move on and rebuild with the younger talent we do have available.
I think we need to give Rassie slightly more credit than this mate! He has been great in ODIs since making his debut.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Dropped for Klassen, which still seems a bizarre and harsh call to me especially after Verreynne actually did a reasonable job on the Australia tour

Not that I think Klassen is a bad cricketer by any means, but I don't see what Verreynne did wrong
He did nothing wrong. Change of coach and selection and when the choice came between Klaasen and Verreynne they chose Klaasen.

ashley bach

International Captain
Dropped for Klassen, which still seems a bizarre and harsh call to me especially after Verreynne actually did a reasonable job on the Australia tour

Not that I think Klassen is a bad cricketer by any means, but I don't see what Verreynne did wrong
Just looked up the stats for the series in Australia because I remember a couple of half centuries he scored.
He was their 2nd top run scorer in the series so yeah this axing seems real harsh.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
He did nothing wrong. Change of coach and selection and when the choice came between Klaasen and Verreynne they chose Klaasen.
I know this, Conrad clearly rates Klassen higher. Not in agreement there personally but that is the way South Africa have chosen to go, all anyone can do really is wait and see