• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in Pakistan

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the reason Lara batted down the order is because he has far more match practice than the likes of Simmons and Ganga. And he's very keen on Bravo getting as much time in the middle as possible.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yasir Hameed looks a good bet to open the innings for Pakistan. I think he can be a really good opener for Pakistan. Sure, right now we just need a competent one, but I still think he can be really good.

Woodster

International Captain
Why must Pakistan persist with forever changing around their opening partnership?
Are they incapable of choosing their best 2 openers and sticking with them, giving the pair a chance to develop an understanding. Hafeez and Farhat is surely not the worse. I am also a fan of Salman Butt, there is no shortage of potentially decent openers but some consistency is desperately needed here.

Dravid

International Captain
Woodster said:
Why must Pakistan persist with forever changing around their opening partnership?
Are they incapable of choosing their best 2 openers and sticking with them, giving the pair a chance to develop an understanding. Hafeez and Farhat is surely not the worse. I am also a fan of Salman Butt, there is no shortage of potentially decent openers but some consistency is desperately needed here.
It's the same deal with India and why they cant get one batsman to go at #3.

Woodster

International Captain
It must be frustrating for the players themselves, they know one bad knock and its back to the drawing board and someone else will be picked to open next game. England are lucky in this respect, Tres and Strauss is pretty solid, and Alastair Cook who is generally an opening bat now comes in at 3. Who is Pakistan (and India's) best opening partnership then ?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Likely sides according to Cricinfo...

West Indies- 1 Chris Gayle, 2 Daren Ganga, 3 Ramnaresh Sarwan, 4 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 5 Brian Lara (capt), 6 Dwayne Bravo, 7 Denesh Ramdin (wk), 8 Dave Mohammad, 9 Fidel Edwards, 10 Corey Colleymore, 11 Jerome Taylor

Pakistan- 1 Imran Farhat, 2 Mohammad Hafeez, 3 Younis Khan, 4 Mohammad Yousuf, 5 Inzamam-ul-Haq (capt), 6 Kamran Akmal (wk), 7 Shoaib Malik, 8 Abdul Razzaq, 9 Umar Gul, 10 Danish Kaneria, 11 Shahid Nazir

Pakistan look a bit light to me in regard to pace bowling considering no one knows what Abdul Razzaq will turn up. Both captains think the pitch is going to be conductive to spin later on, big game for Kaneria then, was pretty darn awful in England as an attacking threat.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see Dave Mohammad likely to get a game, I don't know why alot of people on this forum seem to worship him but he looks a good prospect for the West Indies. Be great to see Jerome Taylor bowling as well as he did in the Champions Trophy and for Darren Ganga to get some runs under his belt, underrated in my opinion. No idea why Shoaib Malik would be batting below Kamran Akmal, but I sure hope that Pakistan can sort out their opening troubles and give the Farhat-Hafeez combination a decent run.

Dravid

International Captain
Lara winning and batting. Looks like a batting track so we should get past 300 with WI hopefully. I love Inzis english lol.

Dravid

International Captain
There is so much haze at the ground. Wonder if the batsman will come off due to bad light.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see Brian Lara getting first use of what sounds like a good batting track. I forgot how poor Chris Gayle's test figures are, he has far too much talent to only be averaging 38. It seems the only team's he has performed well against in test's are Bangladesh, New Zealand and South Africa. He will definately be looking to cash in against a weak Pakistan bowling line up.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Dravid said:
Not good bowling by Umar Gul. He keeps on messing up on his line.
Nazir's bowling much better line and length, also he's more suited for this pitch. Still, Gul has bowled some beautiful deliveries so far, just not consistently enough.

Dravid

International Captain
nightprowler10 said:
Nazir's bowling much better line and length, also he's more suited for this pitch. Still, Gul has bowled some beautiful deliveries so far, just not consistently enough.
Indeed, bowled a few good balls to Gayle. And speaking of Gayle, I love his back foot drive!!!