• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in New Zealand - Nov/Dec 2020

vandem

International 12th Man

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
following on radio. sounds like a sub 100 deck at times. par score?
From what I saw on day 1, anything over 200 is a good effort. But given how much sun and wind is likely to be about over the next few days, it'll flatten out into a good batting deck very quickly.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Gotta admire that effort from Nicholls, not just getting the century but ending the day unbeaten. That short ball discomfort will definitely be noted by bowlers elsewhere and this won’t be the last time he gets subjected to a torrid examination. The likes of Ganguly have shown it’s possible to look like a rabbit against that line of attack and build a good test career, no reason Nicholls shouldn’t.

Beamer

From what I saw on day 1, anything over 200 is a good effort. But given how much sun and wind is likely to be about over the next few days, it'll flatten out into a good batting deck very quickly.
Only ourselves to blame for not getting NZ out for 200. That fielding was atrocious.

Moss

Ever been two bowlers with the same surname bowling in tandem before? (Ignoring those with the Islamic naming traditions, as I suspect there's been a few of those.) Maybe from India?
I know Mark Taylor and Peter Taylor played in the same XI many times, very unlikely they would have bowled in tandem though. Wasim Akram and Mohd. Akram for sure, even considering your criteria I don’t think a lot of Akrams have played for Pakistan. India - probably RP Singh and VRV Singh at some point. Kane and Jhye Richardson too in the shorter forms?

Moss

Only ourselves to blame for not getting NZ out for 200. That fielding was atrocious.
Yeah was a good toss to win, and the bowlers were doing pretty much what they needed to. Gabriel will bowl worse and end up with better figures while C Holder is an impressive addition to the attack. Feel for the bowlers, but if you don’t make all that count you don’t deserve better I suppose.

vandem

International 12th Man
Agree about Chemar Holder, thought the did well in the warmup game and again here today (from the limited highlights I have seen and radio commentary).

Not sure which 100 I rate lower, Nicholls today (ugly, multiple chances, but some life in the pitch) or Santner last summer (ugly, terrible trouble against short ball for 1st half hour but IIRC no chances went to hand, flat pitch).

Pleased that Will Young can look back on what might be a short test career (Conway, Phillips. Ravindra ...) and it wasn't a single test single innings failure.

Beamer

Yeah was a good toss to win, and the bowlers were doing pretty much what they needed to. Gabriel will bowl worse and end up with better figures while C Holder is an impressive addition to the attack. Feel for the bowlers, but if you don’t make all that count you don’t deserve better I suppose.
I agree, the bowling pretty much did it's job. I thought the body language of the fielders was poor though, Chase was sauntering around all day, Jason Holder over-bowled himself, didn't have a third slip in etc.

Jason is a good man manager but tactically he hasn't appeared to have learned a huge amount, he is still a defensive an inflexible captain.

Flem274*

123/5
finally watching the game. i know it was session highlights and i know it's a proper green deck on day one but...i think it's time. my boi ross the boss looks done at test level.

would be nice to get the 20 because he deserves it (that run of 90s against pakistan coming back to bite now) but there's no way this version can play against an australia, india, south africa or anyone with a jammy duke ball. he deserves to protect his average after carrying this side between generations while kane and baz were busy averaging less than 30 and jesse went boozing.

it's a shame england or sri lanka aren't touring this summer so he could get to 22-23 tons but you don't get everything you want, and ross spent his all wishes on getting some competent batsmen to help him out halfway through his career.

Moss

finally watching the game. i know it was session highlights and i know it's a proper green deck on day one but...i think it's time. my boi ross the boss looks done at test level.

would be nice to get the 20 because he deserves it (that run of 90s against pakistan coming back to bite now) but there's no way this version can play against an australia, india, south africa or anyone with a jammy duke ball. he deserves to protect his average after carrying this side between generations while kane and baz were busy averaging less than 30 and jesse went boozing.

it's a shame england or sri lanka aren't touring this summer so he could get to 22-23 tons but you don't get everything you want, and ross spent his all wishes on getting some competent batsmen to help him out halfway through his career.
Was thinking the same, but have posted enough about it already so trying to give it a rest (are Bangladesh touring for tests? Probably an opportunity for stats padding there. But yea, that fine record is taking a beating.)

Flem274*

123/5
dunno why you guys spent the thread moaning about nicholls, this is far from the worst test knock i've ever seen, but a subset of nz fans have always had a complex with him where they begrudge every run he makes.

what i'm seeing is a bowling side more interested in leg stump half volleys and dropping catches than skittling nz on a lawn. australia knock us over for 60 on this. even the duke ball heroes would find 10kph and a drop of heart when presented with this deck and limit us to 150.

also this new version of will young is perplexing. he made his name top scoring for central with 70s on green decks only to repeat that 70 on motorways while someone else scored 140. he used to leave the ball so well. he's batting like an ftb aucklander atm, even if the well refined tools are still there to work with.

i'll be back to ramble about the third sesh shortly. i hope you can all contain your erections.

Kraken

International 12th Man
I lost $50 in a bet with a mate about Henry ****ing Nicholls. I laughed at him when he said he had money on him to score a hundred this game, so we had a little side bet ffs

Beamer

dunno why you guys spent the thread moaning about nicholls, this is far from the worst test knock i've ever seen, but a subset of nz fans have always had a complex with him where they begrudge every run he makes.

what i'm seeing is a bowling side more interested in leg stump half volleys and dropping catches than skittling nz on a lawn. australia knock us over for 60 on this. even the duke ball heroes would find 10kph and a drop of heart when presented with this deck and limit us to 150.

also this new version of will young is perplexing. he made his name top scoring for central with 70s on green decks only to repeat that 70 on motorways while someone else scored 140. he used to leave the ball so well. he's batting like an ftb aucklander atm, even if the well refined tools are still there to work with.

i'll be back to ramble about the third sesh shortly. i hope you can all contain your erections.
I'm not a NZ'er and I think it is one of the jammiest knocks I have seen, even ignoring the drops. Honestly, his control % was dire.

I think everyone apart from Jason Holder bowled pretty well tbh. They could easily have rolled NZ with more luck and some semi competent fielding. I just get the sense this tour was not meant to be for us. Hopefully they can get the last few wickets quickly, the pitch continues to dry out and then the batsman perform ten times better than they usually do.