• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Yeah, I agree, wasn't sure of my facts, but hasn't he been a bit rubbish in England?
True, it's his worst average of all the places he's played cricket. But he's only played 3 series' in England, the first two of which finished 11 years back. The last series he's played in England, he took 14 scalps in 3 matches which isn't poor at all, but not world class either.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Flintoff isn't that accurate tbh. He has a pretty average average, and an OK economy rate.
The amount of people that say that about Flintoff is beginning to become one of my cricketing peeves. He has an average average because he was awful at the start of his career, since we toured the WI in 2004, he's been very, very good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The amount of people that say that about Flintoff is beginning to become one of my cricketing peeves. He has an average average because he was awful at the start of his career, since we toured the WI in 2004, he's been very, very good.
Nah, since we toured SL just before that.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
In his last 30 he averages 27, that's fairly decent.
One of the cases of an average being misleading tbh. Flintoff also averaged 27 in the 2005 Ashes, and he was fairly immense then. Additionally, playing when not really fit and the like have harmed his average.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They don't show the dire stuff on highlight packages unless it is so dire that it makes the wicketkeeper look like a fool. :p

Honestly, I find myself dreaming of the day when Hoggard and Freddie can bowl in tandem and we might have 12 balls on/or-just-outside off-stump in a row.
Indeed, honestly the wasted balls by plunkers is just ridiculous for someone who's not express pace. It really is beyond a joke, I really believe you could pick an English seamer out of a hat from the cc, and he couldn't be any worse. Innacuracy is just about okay for a fast strike bowler, but when your a just above medium pace swing bowler, its pathetic.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One of the cases of an average being misleading tbh. Flintoff also averaged 27 in the 2005 Ashes, and he was fairly immense then. Additionally, playing when not really fit and the like have harmed his average.
Bowled a heap of crap in the First Test, TBH. His average is impressive indeed in the last 4 games.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed, honestly the wasted balls by plunkers is just ridiculous for someone who's not express pace. It really is beyond a joke, I really believe you could pick an English seamer out of a hat from the cc, and he couldn't be any worse. Innacuracy is just about okay for a fast strike bowler, but when your a just above medium pace swing bowler, its pathetic.
There's no reason why a few mph should make any difference. Plunkett and Harmison are both just useless at hitting the spot they're aiming at - and today I think we could fairly safely say they didn't have a clue where it was going.

It's not good enough for any Test bowler, so you don't pick those who are this wayward (regardless of their pace) IMO.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
How odd. Sky use hotspot to show Vaughan getting hit on the glove and make smug noises when the physio comes on, but according to hotspot it hit the other hand to what he seems to be complaining about.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's no reason why a few mph should make any difference. Plunkett and Harmison are both just useless at hitting the spot they're aiming at - and today I think we could fairly safely say they didn't have a clue where it was going.

It's not good enough for any Test bowler, so you don't pick those who are this wayward (regardless of their pace) IMO.

I did say "just about okay", I'd rather Harmison bowled straighter too. Yet we're struggling to think of one replacement for the gruesome twosome, coming up with two is going to be a tough ask. Harmison deserves selection slightly over Plunkers. It is a bit like saying Stalin was a nicer person then Hitler, though:unsure:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
This whole debate on whether he edged it is pointless, just put Hotspot on it ffs. They've even used snicko, but not Hotspot.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This whole debate on whether he edged it is pointless, just put Hotspot on it ffs. They've even used snicko, but not Hotspot.
Don't need HotSpot. Snicko showed quite clearly there was no nick. Worth nothing more than a passing mention in this evening's report.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Don't need HotSpot. Snicko showed quite clearly there was no nick. Worth nothing more than a passing mention in this evening's report.
They couldn't show it on hotspot because the ball hit the back of the bat, meaning neither the bowler or umpire or snicko could pick it up. Replays clearly showed that it was an inside edge.