• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies In Australia

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Hilditch again talking up Hughes

Essentially, the message from Hilditch yesterday was that Hughes was not ready for an English pace barrage, but would be more than capable of handling the less dangerous West Indies quicks on home soil.
lol

Kind of get the feeling it was the on-tour selector that dropped Hughes and Hilditch want to change it back asap.

Edit: Obviously depends what article you read...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...n-ashes-battlers/story-e6frg7mf-1225796693275

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
I think at full strength and fitness Australia should definitely go with Hughes, Jaques and Katich in the same team, pick quality, not positions. Don't know where they should bat but all should at least be in the team. One example:

Katich
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Hughes
Haddin

****ing terrible effort.

Katich
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Watson
North
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Siddle
Hilfenhorsey

I'll be as mad as a cut snake if that's not the team for the Gabba.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think the South African bowlers bowled too many short good balls to him, despite getting out for a duck on debut playing a poor shot against a very short ball.

Hughes needs to get bat onto ball a lot, I don't think he has a glaring weakness against the short ball but with his awkward technique it doesn't look he's in so much control.
Well yea, this being the key point.

I guess also with Flintoff out of test cricket, he may not have that problem again whenever he is recalled, since i dont see too many other international quicks with the ability to test him out techincally in that area.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Well it looks as though this will be the core of the Australian team, given they are all rested from the only four-day state match leading up to the test:

Watson
Ponting
Hussey
Johnson
Hauritz
Hilfenhaus
Siddle

inbox24

International Debutant
No Lee, no Clark?

Might as ditch Ponting and Hussey too, they're not gonna be a part of the 2016 test team.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
No Lee, no Clark?

Might as ditch Ponting and Hussey too, they're not gonna be a part of the 2016 test team.
As I said, those are the players being rested. There's no reason one or the other of those two won't make the squad, presumably depending on their performance in the NSW match. There's one more fast bowling spot up for grabs.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well it looks as though this will be the core of the Australian team, given they are all rested from the only four-day state match leading up to the test:

Watson
Ponting
Hussey
Johnson
Hauritz
Hilfenhaus
Siddle
I wonder if Johnson will ever play a match for Western Australia!

I wish Hilfenhaus was playing up against the NSW batting lineup. Watson should play too, mainly for the fans, the crowds would double.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder if Johnson will ever play a match for Western Australia!

I wish Hilfenhaus was playing up against the NSW batting lineup. Watson should play too, mainly for the fans, the crowds would double.
It's a bit of a nightmare schedule really, isn't it? The way it is, these players don't have any FC cricket before a test starts. But if they don't rest them now, players who are in all forms of the game are supposed to play continually, without a week off, until April.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It's a bit of a nightmare schedule really, isn't it? The way it is, these players don't have any FC cricket before a test starts. But if they don't rest them now, players who are in all forms of the game are supposed to play continually, without a week off, until April.
What are they doing between December 8 and December 16?

I just feel as though almost all of those 7 players resting would benefit playing a Shield match before the first test.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
What are they doing between December 8 and December 16?

I just feel as though almost all of those 7 players resting would benefit playing a Shield match before the first test.
Oh yeah, that's true actually. Though it's the longest gap between matches that whole 5/6 months as far as I can see. Do you need to leave a longer gap between flying to Perth and the match than other places so you can recover from the flight?

I agree with you really, that you want to play a Shield match before the test. Just that I can understand why they aren't going to, given some of those players have been on the go for ages and there's so much to come. I did think Hilfenhaus, out of all of them, would play though.

I know I feel like I need a break when I've not had a holiday for a few months, and it's amazing how much better you feel after a week off. And I wouldn't count my job as as high pressured as theirs.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Watson
Ponting
Hussey
Johnson
Hauritz
Hilfenhaus
Siddle
Hilf should appreciate the rest as since the Ashes finished on the 23rd of August, he's bowled 26 overs of utter rubbish (economy rate of 7.4, bowling average of nearly 50)

Obviously has a sore neck from looking into the air as the ball disappears into the stands

Last edited:

Hit_Wicket

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I agree with you really, that you want to play a Shield match before the test. Just that I can understand why they aren't going to, given some of those players have been on the go for ages and there's so much to come. I did think Hilfenhaus, out of all of them, would play though..
I agree, shame about the tight scheduling; though nowadays it’s all part and parcel of international cricket, not to mention
countless other professional sports (such as tennis off the top of my head).

I think that if there were fewer meaningless fixtures (especially the excessive amount of recent ODIs) the player performances
as well as the quality of the games would maintain a higher standard.

I can understand that Johnson might be suffering from burnout, but if it was up to me Hussey would be playing against Victoria,
despite his rather overbearing workload of late. IMO it would have been beneficial and an ideal opportunity for him to reacquaint
himself with the longer format as well as to build his confidence, especially if he could have compiled a big score.

Hopefully he can replicate his one day form in the Test series if selected, since he is one of my favourite
players to watch when set and in full flight.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hilf should appreciate the rest as since the Ashes finished on the 23rd of August, he's bowled 26 overs of utter rubbish (economy rate of 7.4, bowling average of nearly 50)

Obviously has a sore neck from looking into the air as the ball disappears into the stands
Have some sympathy; your neck would be sore too if you had a second head.

shivfan

Banned
I'm very disappointed with the schedule for this tour....

How did the WICB agree to this rubbish scheduling?
:@
The West Indies only have one warmup match before the first Test, which is not good enough, IMHO, for players to get used to alien conditions. And if the weather is bad, as Sri Lanka have just found out, you could find yourself going straight into a Test match without any local preparation.

And surely some effort could've been made to fit in at least a two-day game between the second and third Test. Because, as is likely, the WIndies could find themselves trailing in the series, and may want a look at one or two possible replacements before the final Test. No vision, no planning....
8-)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Same crap happens to every team that comes down here. In fact the same crap happens everywhere. It's deplorable but hey, we could squeeze another 7 match ODI series in the time you're asking to play a couple of 3 or 4 day tour matches! 8-)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only worst acclimatisation process is for the Australians - most have zero matches before the first test

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ye it happens on most tours worldwide really, given the crazy jam packed world scheduling.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Wow, have only been saying this for a couple of years and now you reach that conclusion? At least Hauritz should now get the continued opportunity his form in the Ashes and since merits.