• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia 2015/16

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This is why I don't like the current referral rule. Should be uniform based on where it hit's regardless of what the initial decision of the umpire was.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Oh for ****'s sake, can we not have another tedious debate about Umpire's ****ing Call?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Wait do people really think Smith declared to preserve the sanctity of triple centuries or something? It's obviously because of the threat of rain and the pressure to be aggressive and ignore milestones, nothing to do with Voges.

Unnecessary declaration obviously but it won't impact the result in any negative way, can't really criticise it too much except as part of a broader trend.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
everyone gave poor Smith **** after the NZ draw now he's trying to be aggressive and everyone's giving him **** about denying poor Voges a triple ton. Can't win

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
everyone gave poor Smith **** after the NZ draw now he's trying to be aggressive and everyone's giving him **** about denying poor Voges a triple ton. Can't win
I don't even care about the triple century. The declaration would have been every bit as **** if Voges was out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The declaration makes zero sense as it gives no real benefit to Australia compared to declaring later.

mr_mister

i was mainly referring to those on my FB

I assume nobody here was mad about Smith's defensive play against NZ

thierry henry

International Coach
huh?

Smith DID declare very aggressively in the first innings of the first two tests against NZ. There was an argument to be made that he did the same thing wrong then that he has done here (although I get there were weather concerns in Brisbane).

I'm not really sure what you're referring to with him not being aggressive enough against NZ though? If you're talking about the second test second innings, that's a vastly different scenario with Australia coming from behind in the game and already being ahead in the series.

In terms of "first innings declarations when his team are smashing it" he has shown himself to be keen on declarations that are premature bordering on excessively premature. There's an argument to be made that he's declaring more for the "vibe of it" then based on any cricketing logic at all.

mr_mister

huh?

Smith DID declare very aggressively in the first innings of the first two tests against NZ. There was an argument to be made that he did the same thing wrong then that he has done here (although I get there were weather concerns in Brisbane).

I'm not really sure what you're referring to with him not being aggressive enough against NZ though? If you're talking about the second test second innings, that's a vastly different scenario with Australia coming from behind in the game and already being ahead in the series.

In terms of "first innings declarations when his team are smashing it" he has shown himself to be keen on declarations that are premature bordering on excessively premature. There's an argument to be made that he's declaring more for the "vibe of it" then based on any cricketing logic at all.
i'm referring to the drawn test when he didn't give his team enough time to bowl out NZ, everyone **** on him. I know they are different situations

thierry henry

International Coach
Wait do people really think Smith declared to preserve the sanctity of triple centuries or something?
tbf I think that was only me and tbh I have no idea if it had anything to do with that. It was just a general thing that was swirling around (possibly only in my head) and I took the opportunity to talk about it.