• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Flem274*

123/5
Why the :ph34r:? Averages significantly less in FC cricket.
I was talking to TumTum.

Ferguson has a nice technique, whereas Smith reminds me strongly of my number one favourite batsman. The difference is Smith is 21 and Peter Ingram is 32, so Smith is called talented and Ingram is called a slogger.

I can see what TumTum is saying about Smith, but Smith averages 43 in the Sheffield Shield at the age of 21 and has forced his way into a domestic side with good depth, so he does have a lot going for him.

Smith looks like he should fail, but unlike Ferguson and his pretty technique he can actually score decent runs. Smith is Ingram/Sinclair/Fulton, but Ferguson is Daniel Flynn. Smith might make the step up and needs to be handled properly to do so, but Ferguson flatters to deceive and looks a lot better than he actually is.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha, I know you were but I was tongue-in-cheek pointing out that you didn't need it.

---

How good is it that we're playing 4 quicks? If only from the point of view of Ponting being able to use each in a specific role in short, targeted bursts and the added incentive of competition from your fellow quicks (one very good thing Ponting has done as been to pull someone off as soon as he felt he wasn't going to do the job).

Spark

Global Moderator
Not doing either well atm.
Haha true, but I was more referring to his first run rather than this current one.

---

"I think it depends on the players you bowl to, because it's definitely a wicket when you pitch the ball up you get your success," said Siddle. "Mike Hussey's not a player you want to bowl short to..."
When Peter Siddle says you shouldn't bowl short to someone (Peter Siddle ffs!), I think it may be a bad idea.

TumTum

Banned
At the end of the day, runs >>>>>>>>> looks. Else how would Hughes get a run in the team?
True. At a young age looks are just as important as runs though in predicting the future of the player.

BTW aussie would probably be gloating somewhere else that the 4-man pace attack worked :p

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Hughes fan vs Smith fan, we must agree to disagree then :)
no need to bicker, pretty soon ponting n katich will retire and clarke will be banished, and all of them can play

hughes
watson
khawaja
ferguson
hussey
smith

like the look of that lineup

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I agree. Ferguson in for Clarke, with Smith at 6 is possibly the most terrible thing you could think of.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Looks terrible IMO.
what else would you propose for the future?

they'll grow into their positions if they show the necessary ticker.

smith looks a good number 6. free flowing and attacking- if led well and positively, these blokes can be the next generation.

G Rot

Cricket Spectator
Hughes fan vs Smith fan, we must agree to disagree then :)
Lol nah im actually a massive hughes fan but he has been really struggling jately and at least smith brings good hands in the field and the small possibility for a wicket... As i said id prefer just the one change if necessary khawaja for ponting.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Have you been watching Australian cricket for more than a few months?
It's fashionable to blame Clarke. Pretty much the litmus Test of knowing what you're talking about when it comes to Australian cricket - if you think Clarke should be dropped you're a numpty.