• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Headingley* 25-29 August

Flem274*

123/5
Root's been immense since cricket returned after covid. Perhaps started the English season slowly but this series might be the best of his entire career.

Reckon India are a touch short this innings. They're bowling a length that would take serious poles on the lower bouncing decks at home.

Given how easily India looked a level above England in the WTC final, England's steady clawing back to parity is very impressive. They might yet snag an Ashes test.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah.. it will be an immense effort to hang in here after this. Shades of Chennai test earlier this year all over it. Hopefully the other tests follow the same template. A kick up the rear is good for this side usually.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Last time England's top 4 all scored 50+?

I know we did it in Melbourne 2010 but the amount of times we've been 3/20 of late can't imagine it has happened many times since?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean...I still think Australia will win the Ashes fairly comfortably. But I'm starting to come round to the idea of England really competing. They undeniably have alot of depth (predominantly in the bowling). Having a fast bowling core of Broad, Anderson, Robinson, C Overton, Wood and/or Mahmood/Garton is very good

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean...I still think Australia will win the Ashes fairly comfortably. But I'm starting to come round to the idea of England really competing. They undeniably have alot of depth (predominantly in the bowling). Having a fast bowling core of Broad, Anderson, Robinson, C Overton, Wood and/or Mahmood/Garton is very good
On paper this Aus team is stronger in just about every conceivable way, especially if Stokes etc decide not to tour.

On paper, however, has meant ****-all under Paine and Langer.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Yeah.. it will be an immense effort to hang in here after this. Shades of Chennai test earlier this year all over it. Hopefully the other tests follow the same template. A kick up the rear is good for this side usually.
Need to get Pujara out at least. His reflexes look done. Walking wicket as of now

91Jmay

International Coach
Really good batting but horrible thus far from India. Sharma looks like he hasn't bowled for months despite going well only a few days ago.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
On paper this Aus team is stronger in just about every conceivable way, especially if Stokes etc decide not to tour.

On paper, however, has meant ****-all under Paine and Langer.
Oh I agree, Australia are fundamentally better in every department. But England do have the propensity for 'turning it on' when they are underdogs on occasions - they could just catch Australia cold. The SA series in 19/20 is a different proposition to the Ashes sure, but they absolutely dominated that series from the 2nd test onwards

Last edited:

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
I would expect Ashwin to try something different and do damage control in these situations, but he isn't in the team.

Also, good experiment with Jadeja at 7, but we need 7 pure batsmen in these conditions. One cloudy session and we'll be out of the game otherwise. Jadeja's role with the ball has been limited, Vihari looks like an apt replacement. Also, Vihari can bat at 3 and we can have Pujara at 6 or 7, he can do well against a slightly older ball. Pujara is looking terrible when there is too much sideways movement and may be getting him a little lower down the order might help.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh I agree, Australia are fundamentally better in every department. But England do have the propensity for 'turning it on' when they are underdogs on occasions - they could just catch Australia cld. The SA series in 19/20 is a different proposition to the Ashes sure, but they absolutely dominated that series from the 2nd test onwards
I think that series was about as sui generis as a series of cricket can get tbf. So much other stuff outside of the cricket contributed to making that series what it was.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that series was about as sui generis as a series of cricket can get tbf. So much other stuff outside of the cricket contributed to making that series what it was.
Got to be honest I'm lost. What events were surrounding that series? Pretty sure that was a full-strength SA team or was there some off-field drama previously? Remember England getting hammered by NZ 2-0 just prior to that series but otherwise my memory is rather blurry

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Last time England's top 4 all scored 50+?

I know we did it in Melbourne 2010 but the amount of times we've been 3/20 of late can't imagine it has happened many times since?
TMS just answered your question. March 2013 apparently, batting out for a draw vs New Zealand.

Steven Finn was one of said top 4 as night watchman.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sooooooooo how long is Kohli’s place guaranteed?
At least as long as we keep playing Pujara and Rahane.

Though to avoid all the over reaction that we usually get, I fully expect Pujara and one of the seamers to make way for Mayank or SKY and Ashwin the next test. I also think we will bounce back well. Even today the first session, the effort was there but Ishant, Siraj and Jaddu all deciding to lose rhythm at the same time means this game is well and truly done. I guess it was even yesterday but I expected us to come back better, which we did in the first session but this has been brutal since.

Root and Malan batting better than they would in the nets... lol.