• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I doubt Rafa will ever be back to full fitness, the ammount of niggling injuries he carries combined with the way he plays means he's always probably going to be carrying something, it just depends on how bad they are at any given time and how they are managed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The best thing about Rafa was that he was playing attacking tennis. He wasn't playing that until he was match point down late last year.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Went to the Brisbane International today, there was some rain around, so none of the mens first round matches started which was a shame.

I watched a qualifier between Xavier Malisse and some Aussie named Klein, not Bryden.
Kim Clijsters vs. Garbin, Clijsters was very good, Molik vs. Makarova, very even 3 setter and then Roddick/Blake in the doubles, Roddick is great to watch live, he was serving up in the 220s.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How was Roddick's knee looking Nufan? Did you notice any signs that he may still be injured?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Matheson Klein or something like that. I take it Malisse's drug ban didn't stick?

Good to see Molik through to the second round even though she'll get eaten up by Clijsters. Also a guy who went to my school (Ebden) is through to the final round of qualifying, so hopefully he makes the most of some good form on the Futures circuit late last year and gets a spot (and maybe even push for the last AO wildcard). Beat Klein 4 and 0.

Men's draw in Brisbane has some very tasty first round matches, too. Gasquet/Nieminen, Fish/Baghdatis, Querrey/Blake and Dent/Monfils the pick of the bunch. Shame for Luczak to get such a horror draw to start with.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah that's the one Matheson Klein, it was a pretty ordinary match. I was wondering why Malisse had to qualify, I guess drug issues is why his ranking blew out.

Jono I didn't notice any problems with Roddick's knee, he wasn't really tested though so I can't say for sure.

Women's draw has some decent matches too, Henin vs. Petrova and Dokic vs. Ivanovic.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Thanks Nufan. Sorry about asking you to reply in the other thread in Cricket Chat I didn't see you had already replied.

Cheers

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Matheson Klein or something like that. I take it Malisse's drug ban didn't stick?

Good to see Molik through to the second round even though she'll get eaten up by Clijsters. Also a guy who went to my school (Ebden) is through to the final round of qualifying, so hopefully he makes the most of some good form on the Futures circuit late last year and gets a spot (and maybe even push for the last AO wildcard). Beat Klein 4 and 0.

Men's draw in Brisbane has some very tasty first round matches, too. Gasquet/Nieminen, Fish/Baghdatis, Querrey/Blake and Dent/Monfils the pick of the bunch. Shame for Luczak to get such a horror draw to start with.
Querrey vs. Blake is going to be schweeeeet.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I believe he and Wickmayer appealed to some court in Belgium and they won on the grounds of being out of competition or non participation or something similar. I'm surprised Malisse is playing though as I was under the impression the ban had only been dropped in Belgium.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dementieva smashed by Lisciki in the Hopman Cup.

Quite embarrassing performance from Dementieva.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I really like hearing the women's players coaches speak to them at breaks. Good to hear the tactics.

Not sure I like the fact that the players can talk to the coaches, but if they can, may as well hear what they're saying just like in basketball.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Congrats to SBI's mate Ebden who beat Jurgen Melzer in the first round!

Does anyone know anything/much about Oleksandr Dolgopolov Jr ? I saw a bit of his 2nd round qualifying match and thought he looked pretty good, I'll be keeping an eye on him this year, just to see if he wins a few matches on the tour.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha not quite my mate, I just remember him getting tennis honours when I was in year eight. :p Still, great win for him and should put him well inside the top 250. Gasquet might be too much for him because by all accounts Melzer was awful.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Murray and Laura Robson are an awesome mixed doubles team, so funny.

Can't believe Robson is 15 :ph34r:

Dydl

International Debutant
Murray and Laura Robson are an awesome mixed doubles team, so funny.

Can't believe Robson is 15 :ph34r:
Yeah, I've watched their last two matches, played very well together today. Really impressed by Laura Robson, she's definitely one to watch for the future. Had trouble believing she was 15 when I first read it. Won't be too long before you hear more about her 'Aussie connection' from the papers.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Why is it that news reports can't differentiate between an exhibition tournament and the actual ATP circuit? There were so many reports about Nadal's first title win of the season and Soderling beating Federer for the first time, but neither of these things count on their actual season records.

Dydl

International Debutant
Henin vs Ivanovic semi-final at the Brisbane International should be interesting. Really looking forward to that.