• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Stanford Super Series

chris.hinton

International Captain
it was really bad, i was not impressed.... West Indi... Sorry Stanford superstars wanted it more... much more

I believe that it time for peter Moores, Giles Clarke and David Collier to GO NOW

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What's David Collier done wrong?

And apart from generally being a pretty nasty piece of work, what's Giles Clarke done wrong so far?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
And apart from generally being a pretty nasty piece of work, what's Giles Clarke done wrong so far?
I think putting a guy in charge whose last name is the combination of the two most ordinary English cricketers of the last decade was a bad choice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Giles White and Andrew Clarke you mean? Bit harsh in terms of the former (he could've been an OK-ish opener for mine, but preferred to retire early and pursue another career) but smack-on in terms of the latter. How he ended-up with such a good career record is beyond me. Afridi-esque. Just played at fortunate times.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Giles White and Andrew Clarke you mean? Bit harsh in terms of the former (he could've been an OK-ish opener for mine, but preferred to retire early and pursue another career) but smack-on in terms of the latter. How he ended-up with such a good career record is beyond me. Afridi-esque. Just played at fortunate times.
Pretty sure Geg has never heard of either Giles White or Andrew Clarke... don't think his post really came across as it should have done - implication was of Ashley Giles and Rikki Clarke.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In fairness, I was joking around whilst implying 2 things - 1, Ashley Giles is far from one of the worst players to play for England, recently or at all (and really, Rikki Clarke playing only against Bangladesh means I couldn't care less about it); and 2, by saying "the two most ordinary English cricketers of the last decade" rather than "the two most ordinary cricketers to play for England of the last decade" he left it open to rather more than just the international representatives. :p

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
In fairness, I was joking around whilst implying 2 things - 1, Ashley Giles is far from one of the worst players to play for England, recently or at all (and really, Rikki Clarke playing only against Bangladesh means I couldn't care less about it); and 2, by saying "the two most ordinary English cricketers of the last decade" rather than "the two most ordinary cricketers to play for England of the last decade" he left it open to rather more than just the international representatives. :p
Indeed. However I didn't say Giles was one of the worst players (as I am actually a fan of The King) but ordinary seems an apt description, someone who rarely stood out but at the same time was far better than some of the alternatives knocking about, IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Meh. Said my piece on Giles 100 times. Was a pretty decent bowler on a turner, shouldn't ever have been picked on a non-turner. About all you can really expect from a fingerspinner really, unless he's a Saqlain Mushtaq or Harbhajan Singh, in which case you can expect him to be exceptional on a turner and shouldn't ever be picked on a non-turner.

Sadly, Giles played a whole load of Tests he should never have been near playing and suffered for it. He played them because of the "you must have variation" rubbish and because he was so obviously superior to any other fingerspinners going around.