• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka Tour of West Indies 2018

Borges

International Regular
I think Steven Smith's press conference immediately after the event made it look even worse than it already was.

He should have left the commentary to the accompanying Australian media. A few judicious suggestions would have helped:
"Ho Ho! These South Africans who have been caught in the act multiple times are now complaining about ball tampering," etc

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
CA were so over the top with their penalties

Don't get me wrong, taking sandpaper onto the field is absolutely wrong (not to mention the most idiotic idea I've ever heard of) but they should have known that nobody was going to follow their lead.

Team is lucky that they didnt bow further down to the baying mob and suspend the bowlers as well
I don't think they expected anyone to follow their lead (or really cared). It was all about appeasement.

Daemon

They didn't even decide to use a method that they could then later deny with any sort of plausibility. They were ****ed the moment the geniuses decided to use sandpaper.

Borges

International Regular
The interest in this series is going to be kept alive: I suppose that this Chandimal can now play in the final test.

This is interesting: with the ICC deciding that there are going to be two different kinds of test matches - those "with context" and those "without context" -
anyone caught cheating during a series with context should appeal immediately. and let the suspension roll over to the series without any context at all.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We’ll probably never find out but it appears likely that Smith’s “crimes” were that it happened on his watch and he told a porky at a press conference

Chandimal’s (and that of others) actions were infinitely worse

Daemon

We’ll probably never find out but it appears likely that Smith’s “crimes” were that it happened on his watch and he told a porky at a press conference

Chandimal’s (and that of others) actions were infinitely worse
Yeah, I don't think Smith was involved in the plans, although it is questionable how a captain doesn't realise that one of his players is roughing the ball up with sandpaper. His own actions in the dressing room DRS incident were infinitely worse imo, if anything he should've copped a ban for that blatant piece of cheating.

TheJediBrah

Yeah, I don't think Smith was involved in the plans, although it is questionable how a captain doesn't realise that one of his players is roughing the ball up with sandpaper. His own actions in the dressing room DRS incident were infinitely worse imo, if anything he should've copped a ban for that blatant piece of cheating.
Nah the dressing room DRS incident was blown out of proportion more than it should have been as well. It was just a moment of pure stupidity, it's not like there was actually a plan in place or that anyone would have given him direction as to what to do. The suggestion that it was somehow a planned way to cheat was beyond absurd.

Just a dumb action from a dumb person

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
What I don't understand is how the umpires missed this.... unless Bancroft had barely got started and the ball had not really changed yet. But I find it difficult to believe that it would have gone unnoticed.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What I don't understand is how the umpires missed this.... unless Bancroft had barely got started and the ball had not really changed yet. But I find it difficult to believe that it would have gone unnoticed.
My view is that Warner completely lost it and Bancroft went along with it for whatever reason

Bancroft is apparently a decent guy so nothing makes sense unless you assume that everyone is doing it

But sandpaper??? Wtf

TheJediBrah

I think they honestly felt hard done by. They were at the point where they were frustrating because South Africa were doing in constantly and they wanted fairness.

Whether or not, and to what extent, South Africa were actually doing it though, who knows. The crowd and player hostility, Rabada incidents all added up as well.

Clearly they weren't in their right minds. Sandpaper is just so dumb. It didn't even do anything to ball either.

Daemon

Nah the dressing room DRS incident was blown out of proportion more than it should have been as well. It was just a moment of pure stupidity, it's not like there was actually a plan in place or that anyone would have given him direction as to what to do. The suggestion that it was somehow a planned way to cheat was beyond absurd.

Just a dumb action from a dumb person
Smith's a sneaky little cheater, he's learnt it from years of watching his Australian idols do the same.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think they honestly felt hard done by. They were at the point where they were frustrating because South Africa were doing in constantly and they wanted fairness.

Whether or not, and to what extent, South Africa were actually doing it though, who knows. The crowd and player hostility, Rabada incidents all added up as well.

Clearly they weren't in their right minds. Sandpaper is just so dumb. It didn't even do anything to ball either.
What were SA doing? It had been a pretty intense series with both sides behaving poorly, is that what you were talking about?

Borges

International Regular
But sandpaper??? Wtf
Why sandpaper?

They got away with DRS cheating (even after they were caught), they have almost certainly got away with their earlier milder forms of ball-tampering going undetected;
so they deluded themselves that they would get away with sand paper too.

Silly of course, but it it is always an unimaginably silly mistake that results in the downfall of many a crook.
Crooks get more and more confident with each passing day as their shenanigans go undiscovered or unpunished and finally do something silly.

91Jmay

International Coach
It was just following the great Aussie tradition of cheating and then feeling self-riotous i.e Steve Waugh

TheJediBrah

What were SA doing? It had been a pretty intense series with both sides behaving poorly, is that what you were talking about?
I don't know if SA were doing anything. If you read what I said it's about what the Aussies thought they were doing:

I'm not saying that the South Africans were definitely doing anything

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if SA were doing anything. If you read what I said it's about what the Aussies thought they were doing:

I'm not saying that the South Africans were definitely doing anything
So you saying that Aus thought that they must be doing something so therefore did something themselves... like go find the sandpaper? Of course the fact that in both the previous matches the ball was reversing for both sides without sandpaper. Unless everybody had been using sandpaper!

Sorry I don't buy that. Makes more sense that they were under pressure in the match, and because of what had happened in the previous matches, on and off the field, Warner and Co. decided they needed to get back into the match in whatever way possible. It was a brain-fade caused by Test match stress.