• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand

Ming

State 12th Man
NZTailender said:
uh, what?

He opened the batting when he made his Debut in the VB series and didn't fare to well, and got shuffled around. Now he's back as opener and is in brilliant form (how many other NZ batsman have averaged nearly 50 this year?)

In tests though he's more of a number 4 batsman, even though he opened the batting in Zimbabwe.

They should keep him opening the batting in ODI's at least for this series. To move him now would be stupid especially after the way he set up the innings in the last 2 matches vs Australia.
What are you trying to say in your first comment? He was mucked around as an opener, yes I know, I stated that earlier, and now he's a middle order batsman. To move him would not be stupid, because he was lucky in the third game where he should have been out first ball and was playing a stand and deliver approach. Vincent is a better batsman than just a slogger.

What would be stupid is putting How to anywhere but opening. I don't want another Fulton, Vincent repeat.

dinu23

International Debutant
chaminda_00 said:
Some intersting squad selections for Sri Lanka for the ODI team to take on NZ:

Squad:

Marvan Atapattu (captain), Chaminda Vaas (vice-captain), Sanath Jayasuriya, Mahela Jayawardene, Kumar Sangakkara, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Upul Tharanga, Farveez Maharoof, Muttiah Muralitharan, Avishka Gunawardene, Lasith Malinga, Malinga Bandara, Jehan Mubarak, Russel Arnold, Ruchira Perera, Dilhara Fernando

Jayasuriya back in the fold and Chandana and Zoysa out. Its good to see Malinga and Bandara get a run in the ODIs. But i would have liked to see Vandort in the sqaud instead of Gunawardene or Arnold. Hopefully the guys can be competive but going on recent performances by them and NZ it looks like it might be a one sided series unfortuntely.
im ok with Arnold, but Avishaka and Mubarak again!....oh brother!

dinu23

International Debutant
Astle out, thats good news for the sri lankans.

my team:
1.Sanath Jayasuriya
2.Upul Tharanga
3.Sangakkara
4.Mahela
5.Marvan
6.Arnold
7.Dilshan
8.Vaas
9.Malinga
10.Murali
11.Dilhara

SS:Maharoof

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow Astle dropped. Lucky Fantasy Cricket ended prematurely because I've had him in my team from the start. :ph34r:

You know, it doesn't feel like too long ago that Astle hit that match-winning ton against India in the tri-series final with Zimbabwe, India and NZ. Form can change quickly though.

Toecrusher

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think the selectors made the right decision to drop Astle. He may be our most successful ODI batsman in terms of his record, but he is in large part responsible for the poor starts that we have been having over the last 4-5 years. I for one never ever felt confident when Astle opened up the batting.....sure he has scored 15 hundreds, but between those hundreds have been heaps, and heaps, and heaps of low scores. He just isn't consistent enough to be an ODI opener anymore.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZTailender said:
Yes, I like making XI's :P

1. S Fleming (c)
2. L Vincent
3. P Fulton
4. H Marshall
5. S Styris
6. C Cairns
7. J Oram
8. B McCullum (wk)
9. D Vettori
10. K Mills
11. S Bond
SS. A Adams/J How
Good side dude.

Totally agree with Vincent opening. People often get mixed up with One dayers and tests. Clearly he has proved more successful in the middle order in the longer form of the game.And in ODI's, he's much more effective when the field is up. Surely Fleming and Vincent are the most effective batsmen when the field restriction is on against the new ball.

Ming

State 12th Man
And that's based on a couple of innings where he should have been out golden duck on the first?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I havn't seen Adams since his less than brilliant bowling against the indians in '03. Well, I may have seen him since, but I can't remember. Is he any good?

Sad to see Astle dropped. I woulda taken Astle over Adams anyday. I agree with axing Mcmillan, Martin, Franklin and Marshall though.

Oh, and also, what the hell happened to Tuffey?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think Tuffeys injured. And I think Adams was in to replace Franklin and Martin, not Astle.

I was mistaken saying Vincent started as an opener in ODI's. He first opened in ODI's in the VB series. When he first started he was batting in positions 5-8 and mainly making 30's. He's definately better than a 5 or lower batsman and being 30 not out at the end (even if it is a quickfire 30, but there already plenty of players down the order who can do that).

"What would be stupid is putting How to anywhere but opening. I don't want another Fulton, Vincent repeat."

It would be stupid to shuffle Vincent down the order now after he's had a good year of it.
If he's going to be moved down, do it AFTER this series, IF he's had a shocking time of it. Vincent's batted pretty much everywhere in the top to lower-order and IMHO he's best when he's at the very top.

An alternative line up would be, if it was How and not Fulton playing the first game, 1. Vincent 2. How 3. Fleming 4. Marshall.

"And that's based on a couple of innings where he should have been out golden duck on the first?"

I thought it was one innings?

"To move him would not be stupid, because he was lucky in the third game where he should have been out first ball and was playing a stand and deliver approach."

;)

Ming

State 12th Man
So the confirmed batting lineup according to TV3...

1 Fleming, 2 How, 3 Vincent, 4 Fulton.....6 McCullum....

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO , Maccullum should be moved up the order during run chases , and not left to the death when occasionally it may be a little too late.
He should be able to come in between the 30th and 35th over sort of, rather than coming in after the 40th over which seems to be the case now during run chases .

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ming said:

Marshall at five then...so one of Oram and Cairns has to come in at 8, bit low but unavoidable I guess.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I wouldn't argue with you there Matt, but we'll miss his bowling that's for sure.

Couldn't we look at Styris playing instead of Oram?

Blaze

Banned
James said:
I wouldn't argue with you there Matt, but we'll miss his bowling that's for sure.

Couldn't we look at Styris playing instead of Oram?

I honestly think that Marshall should be the super sub with Styris and Oram both playing. Therefore if we bowl first we can sub him on for a bowler and if we bat first we can sub him on for a less agile batsman in the field.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Ming said:

I'd prefer Vincent opening, but then again I havn't seen a great deal of How.

I assume Marshall will go in 5, that means Cairns at 7, and we still got Oram and Styris!

Quite a deep batting lineup, but good to see.

Ming

State 12th Man
I don't think there will be room for Fulton, How AND Marshall, so Hamish will probably miss out. Very deep lineup again, considering the whole 13-man squad have scored first class centuries.