• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in India

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SL 6 down at stumps, only 4 more wickets needed for a 2-0 victory. Considering we missed Sehwag in one game and Dravid in another, this has been excellent by India.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No, only 1-0 actually. So basically, even if SL do somehow manage to draw this match India go to 2nd on the rankings.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, good to see India put in a tough performance. India got themselves into some tough spots but played well to get out of them. Of course, it has to be said that the Sri Lankans haven't been at their best either.

Deja moo

International Captain
Jono said:
No, only 1-0 actually. So basically, even if SL do somehow manage to draw this match India go to 2nd on the rankings.
So finally, the *pretenders* vacate the ..er... second best seat in the house for its rightful owners :D ..

I can see how an acceptance speech would go, "I'd like to thank the Sri Lankans for being such wonderful neighbours...and who could forget Pakistan for putting things in perspective for those who hold a certain urn.." :p

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
Believe it or not, Harbhajan Singh has the top BATTING average in this series, a remarkable 59!
This is the second time in a row that has happened. Last time the Indians played a Test series at home, the highest batting average for them was by Anil Kumble!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
India win......it took its time. They now move up to #2 in the ICC Test rankings. But......#2 doesn't count. You're either #1 or far behind. They played well to win the series 2-0, and have improved a lot since last year, but a few more improvements are needed. They need more consistency from the opening pair, but that awful practice of chopping and changing won't help. Batting is relatively a non-issue, compared to pace bowling.

It was disappointing to see few wickets taken by the pacers yet again, as this will cause a problem outside India. Irfan's not too bad, but he needs someone who's faster, more powerful (and even taller) at the other end. That tearaway pacer is still needed in this team, to polish off the tailenders, who can prove to be more than just a nuisance to the fielding side, and also challenge the top batsmen. Still, two pacers are never enough– you need a third, so the problem of an all-rounder arises. These are the areas that need to be worked on. Not Tendulkar's batting form or Gambhir's lack of runs.

Kumble is definitely one of the most under-rated spinners of today. From someone who 'can't turn the ball', he's made rapid strides to come close to 500 wickets, at a very good strike rate as well. He's now a genuine strike bowler for the team, wherever they play, and a comeback in ODI's shouldn't be too far.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
foe said:
We're all set to move up to second place in the tests rankings :)
Well done India on winning the series convincingly !! :D

SL were totally down and out from the start of this series and struggling.

India deserve second ranking , with the quality batsman in your ranks, the exceptionally brilliant spining combination of Anil Kumble and Harbhajan and a quality seamer and a definite Allrounder in Pathan .

IMO India set to topple the Aussies at the top of the table in the not too distant future.

But winning at home is one thing and winning away is another and I hope Chappell can set India on its winning ways overseas as well.

But he is going to be under lot of pressure and its a win win situation for India, if they can continually keep the guy under pressure of reinstatement of Ganguly as Captain etc. because then he knows his charges have to continually produce results, or he will be booted out by the Indian hierarchy or even Parliament !! :D

As for SL the decline started under Dyson and continues under Moody , both of whom are completely out of their Depth at Test level as coaches.

Captaincy needs to move on to Vaas or Mahela. Murali's decline has begun. The guy is over worked, over bowled and as a result getting to the point of becoming ineffective as Indian Batsman amply demonstrated .

As far as the Umpiring in the series, Daryl Harper was poor, Nadeem Ghouri is an absolute shocker and definitely does not belong to the Elite panel or anywhere near it !!

SL under Moody has rapidly declined down in Test and ODI rankings. This may be partly because tough overseas tours like the demolition by India (6-1 in ODIs and 2-0) in Tests did not happen for awhile . Unfortunately I foresee even more tougher times ahead and SL likely to drop to the level of Windies or Zim (to keep them company).
Most Sri Lankans will need to transfer their cricketing interest to other sport as I feel the mauling the current Team should rightly endure in Black Caps land and by Ricky's Champs and the Boks will want them never to have followed cricket ever.

The Cricket Board spends a fortune on corrupt administrators and overseas coaches .They are better off spending it on the Grassroots of SL cricket ie, school cricket, club cricket, so that may be future generations of Sri Lankans can be priviledged to unearth a Sri Lankan Sachin or a Sri Lankan Pathan or a Sri Lankan Dravid or Sehwag.
Until then they must settle for mediocrity and occasionally be thrilled by the performances of Murali who occasionally still manages a 5'er after bowling a couple of hundred overs !! :D :D

The rot had set in for some time in the cricket board when gangsters, Book makers and Mafia in SL took over SL Cricket and they are there to profit for themselves.The current selectors are absolute shockers . If you consider their selection of Avishka and Mubarak (who got several reprieves from Nadeem Ghouri , *now I wonder why!* in making the few small scores he made ) were their selections as replacements for Jayasuriya.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Arjun said:
Irfan's not too bad, but he needs someone who's faster, more powerful (and even taller) at the other end.
All the more reason why I am puzzled by the Indian selectors failure give a Test cap for RP Singh during this series .

Deja moo

International Captain
JASON said:
Well done India on winning the series convincingly !! :D

SL were totally down and out from the start of this series and struggling.

India deserve second ranking , with the quality batsman in your ranks, the exceptionally brilliant spining combination of Anil Kumble and Harbhajan and a quality seamer and a definite Allrounder in Pathan .

IMO India set to topple the Aussies at the top of the table in the not too distant future.

But winning at home is one thing and winning away is another and I hope Chappell can set India on its winning ways overseas as well.

But he is going to be under lot of pressure and its a win win situation for India, if they can continually keep the guy under pressure of reinstatement of Ganguly as Captain etc. because then he knows his charges have to continually produce results, or he will be booted out by the Indian hierarchy or even Parliament !! :D

As for SL the decline started under Dyson and continues under Moody , both of whom are completely out of their Depth at Test level as coaches.

Captaincy needs to move on to Vaas or Mahela. Murali's decline has begun. The guy is over worked, over bowled and as a result getting to the point of becoming ineffective as Indian Batsman amply demonstrated .

As far as the Umpiring in the series, Daryl Harper was poor, Nadeem Ghouri is an absolute shocker and definitely does not belong to the Elite panel or anywhere near it !!

SL under Moody has rapidly declined down in Test and ODI rankings. This may be partly because tough overseas tours like the demolition by India (6-1 in ODIs and 2-0) in Tests did not happen for awhile . Unfortunately I foresee even more tougher times ahead and SL likely to drop to the level of Windies or Zim (to keep them company).
Most Sri Lankans will need to transfer their cricketing interest to other sport as I feel the mauling the current Team should rightly endure in Black Caps land and by Ricky's Champs and the Boks will want them never to have followed cricket ever.

The Cricket Board spends a fortune on corrupt administrators and overseas coaches .They are better off spending it on the Grassroots of SL cricket ie, school cricket, club cricket, so that may be future generations of Sri Lankans can be priviledged to unearth a Sri Lankan Sachin or a Sri Lankan Pathan or a Sri Lankan Dravid or Sehwag.
Until then they must settle for mediocrity and occasionally be thrilled by the performances of Murali who occasionally still manages a 5'er after bowling a couple of hundred overs !! :D :D

The rot had set in for some time in the cricket board when gangsters, Book makers and Mafia in SL took over SL Cricket and they are there to profit for themselves.The current selectors are absolute shockers . If you consider their selection of Avishka and Mubarak (who got several reprieves from Nadeem Ghouri , *now I wonder why!* in making the few small scores he made ) were their selections as replacements for Jayasuriya.
Spot on.Your WC victory was both a boon as well as a curse for SL cricket. Flies and moths cannot resist the bright light.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Good win for INdia. But the real test will be Pak and Eng. SL need to get their acts together soon. BTW, I like the look of Tharanga as a batsman. I think he is someone for the future

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Arjun said:
India win......it took its time. They now move up to #2 in the ICC Test rankings. But......#2 doesn't count. You're either #1 or far behind..
The gap between the top and the teams vying for top spot has been closing in as far as I am concerned.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How so?

To be fair England were pretty much acknowledged as comfortably being number 2 after the Ashes, and they've since really messed up.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How so? Well SA are taking it up to Australia without their best batsman, Pakistan have just whipped England 2-0 and India were always in the top 4 spots, and have only lost a series to Australia in the past 3 years. The gap between those fighting for 2nd is closing.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I meant gap between Australia and the teams vying for top spot.

For the battle for second place - Jono has answered that question as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, but the point is that the teams playing for 2nd are taking it in turns to get there then slip up - the gap hasn't closed one bit.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Yes, but the point is that the teams playing for 2nd are taking it in turns to get there then slip up - the gap hasn't closed one bit.
The gap has closed in the sense - Australia is not as strong as it was some time back without Gillespie as a froce IMO.

The teams battling for the 2nd spot - are more or less at the same level.

Australia has slipped recently from around the time of the Ashes though they are still no. 1.

So the gap definitely has closed. We disagree. No issues.