• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in India

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Gambhir should be given a fair run so that we know how he would fair as an opener. So it is a good move from this perspective as well.
:p ;)

adharcric

International Coach
Let's start thinking about the Indian squad for the ODI series against South Africa.

The guarantees (in my opinion):
Virender Sehwag - vice-captain, getting starts but not going on, safe for now
Sachin Tendulkar
Mohammad Kaif
Rahul Dravid
Gautam Gambhir - secured spot as reserve opener/batsman after his blistering ton
Suresh Raina - as good as kaif and yuvi in the field, averaging 50 in the SL series
Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Irfan Pathan
Ajit Agarkar - average of 21 with the ball in the SL series
Rudra Pratap Singh - brilliant in the 6th odi, good fielder
Harbhajan Singh - average of 25 in SL series, very economical (~ 3.4 rpo)

4 more players can be picked.

1. Middle-Order Batsman
-Venugopal Rao - averaged 30 in SL series, but batted well, should be high in the stakes
for a test berth
-Yuvraj Singh - out of form right now but brilliant in the field, if he can make a big one at
rajkot or baroda, he will most probably be retained
-VVS Laxman - if this 'youth movement' wasnt in progress, he might deserve a place
-Sourav Ganguly - NO ... enough said

2. Spinner
-Murali Kartik - decent performance in SL series with average of 32, should be retained
-Piyush Chawla - highly regarded by selectors, even practicing with the national team
-Ramesh Powar - he's been taking wickets for a while, might not get a chance yet

3. Seamer
-Zaheer Khan - 17 wickets in 2 duleep trophy matches, should be selected if fit in the field
-Sree Santh - averaging near 50 so far, talented but bowling too many boundary balls right now, maybe someone else should be evaluated now
-VRV Singh - ideally, should be selected ... but he might still be unfit

4. Batsman/All-Rounder/Bowler
-JP Yadav - was decent against SL, but should be given an extended run
-any of the above, especially a 5th seamer or an extra basman (rao & yuvi)

am i missing something?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
Yeah I strongly believe that you choose a player only if you think he is good enough. Else you dont choose a player. And if you choose him, you give him a fair run.

Which is why I have expressed my discontent over the 'trying out as many players as possible' policy and the two exclusions made before this one dayer.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gambhir playing aggressively and extremely confidently. Smacking boundary after boundary. He's got 6 boundaries now in his 28 off 21.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sri Lankans must be kicking themselves really. They were 30 odd and Ranjit Fernando said that Lanka should aim at making 350!

It is a very small ground and the pitch is flat. Historically very high totals have been made. A bit of patience and just staying on the wicket could have got the Lankans at least 280-290. The Indians apart from R.P.Singh and Karthik werent accurate enough. There were runs which could have been milked if there was more patience shown.

Really the shot Sangakarra played (agreed it was a well disguised slower ball by Pathan) was not required.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
...and where did I say that ??
Good leave shot as far as answering the question is concerned. :D

Dont mind it. I am just having some harmless fun.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Good leave shot as far as answering the question is concerned. :D
Why would anyone ask such a stupid question (unless they have an axe to grind) ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
ramkumar_gr said:
Kaif as usual trying to put pressure on the batsman at the other end.
Thats a new one I have heard. But Sehwag - Mr. Carefree wouldnt be effected you would think. Not when he can play a captain's inning!

I dont want Sehwag to captain India regularly but I was impressed by his field placements : 'out of the box' as Ravi Shastri described it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
ramkumar_gr said:
Kaif as usual trying to put pressure on the batsman at the other end.
By not throwing his wicket away? Why would you try and smash the ball all around the park when chasing around 200 :blink:

Not every player has to be a Dhoni or Sehwag.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Chaminda Vaas really has had a horrid series. Normally so economical, he's gone for so many runs for very few wickets. Almost consistently over 6 an over.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
14 off 19 isn't really bad.
how about 20 of 37 then. There are batsmen like M Waugh, Azhar, D Martyn who make
the batting look easy and there can be others too. Kaif is the only one who can
look any surface or any mediocre bowling attack look great