• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in India 2017

cnerd123

likes this
Yup. Apparently it's to "protect him from a loss of confidence". Awful move. They have a team of ultra young scrubs anyway and he's easily their most promising batting prospect. They're basically saying they don't trust him to make runs in this series. What kind of message is that sending to him and the rest of the team?
This is what South Africa did with Kuhn and De Kock isn't it?

Burner

International Regular
Does anything make you lose your confidence quite like knowing that the selectors don't think you are good enough?

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Didn't he score a ton in the recent series against India?

I wonder if the decision will be reversed if Hathurusinga takes over?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, Jadavpur University must have some amazing sports facilities if their 2nd Ground is used by international teams for warmup matches.
Yes, played there as a student - sometimes Bengal Ranji team used to come there for practice

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yup. Apparently it's to "protect him from a loss of confidence". Awful move. They have a team of ultra young scrubs anyway and he's easily their most promising batting prospect. They're basically saying they don't trust him to make runs in this series. What kind of message is that sending to him and the rest of the team?
Yeah I don't think Sri Lanka's problems are as simply as changing the staff but the selectors really are absolutely terrible at the moment. Teams with better depth could absolutely drop Mendis right now but Sri Lanka aren't really in that position, and above all else their reasoning is ridiculous.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very decent start this

Karunaratne's basically been SL's best bat this year hasn't he?

Last edited:

Daemon

So they've retired Karunaratne before he got to play the spinners. Flaying noob Indian medium pacers isn't exactly the most ideal preparation in a series where Ashwin could very well be opening the bowling.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
In the current era how many batsmen (not from Bangladesh or Zimbabwe) have played as many tests with as low a batting average as Thirimmane?

Daemon

Guptill is the closest I can think of, but even he's closer to 30 than 20.

I suppose Mitch Marsh with his average of 21 qualifies, seeing as how many Australians were saying things like he could one day bat in the top 4 for Australia.

Last edited:

vcs

FFS don't tell me Thirimanne is somehow going to get himself picked in a Test team again.