• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in England

a massive zebra

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Well, everyone keeps saying how early Tests start now. Sorry.
No worries, apologies if my post came across as rude its just you always seem to disagree with everything I say.

Samuel_Vimes said:
But since you mentioned that Test in 1902: Wilf Rhodes (SLA) 8-26 for the match...
Yes Rhodes was at his peak around that time (it was his last truely great season with the ball before his gradually improving batting started to interfere with the penetration of his bowling) and at his very best must have been one of the best bowlers ever. Still, he did not take 10 in the match and there cannot be many spinners that ever have in a Test in May.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
JASON said:
Well played England on a well deserved win. The difference between this one and last one was that England held onto the catches that mattered in SL second innings this time around as compared to the many they dropped at Lords, for had they held onto those it would be 2-0 by now for sure.

The difference between the Teams is huge , but when England drop catches SL seem to be able to compete on Par with England.

Murali is the other factor that keeps this Team competing at the same level as some of the better Test playing Teams even occasionally and briefly ATM.
More importantly twice in this game the England batting failed, If Pietersen hadnt scored that 142 england would probably have lost. and seriously how many more dropped catch and stupid dismissals before Geraint Jones gets dropped?

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
What do people think of Flintoff as captain? As good or better then Vaughan?

The other thing I will ask, when Vaughan comes back, who will take over, give it back to Vaughan and to ease a bit of the work load of Flintoff, especially with the Ashes coming up?
I cant see how anyone in their right mind can think of Flintoff as a better captain than Vaughan. And if anything his bowling has gotten restricted since hes taken over the captaincy. I'd rather give it to Tresco until Vaughan comes back, and id rather Vaughan came back only after showing domestic form.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
a massive zebra said:
No worries, apologies if my post came across as rude its just you always seem to disagree with everything I say.

Yes Rhodes was at his peak around that time (it was his last truely great season with the ball before his gradually improving batting started to interfere with the penetration of his bowling) and at his very best must have been one of the best bowlers ever. Still he did not take 10 in the match and there cannot be many spinners that ever have in a Test in May.
Tend not to post if I agree with people. :)

Just found one. Charlie Blythe nabbed 11 for 102 v Australia in 1909. Also, Sonny Ramadhin got nine for 228 v England in 1957.

Having said that - the list of Tests played in May is short.

1902 Edgbaston Eng v Aus
1905 Trent Bridge Eng v Aus
1909 Edgbaston Eng v Aus
1912 OT Aus v SA
1921 Trent Bridge Eng v Aus
1957 Edgbaston Eng v WI
1962 Edgbaston Eng v Pak (started on May 31 - and saw David Allen and Tony Lock share 10)
1965 Edgbaston Eng v NZ - Fred Titmus England's best bowler with 6 wickets
2000 Lord's Eng v Zim - spinning legends Brian Murphy and Chris Schofield
2001 Lord's Eng v Pak - Azhar Mahmood
2002 Lord's Eng v SL - Ruchira Perera and Michael Vaughan (who bowled 14 overs)
2003 Lord's Eng v Zim - Ray Price and Ashley Giles
2004 Lord's Eng v NZ - Ashley Giles and Dan Vettori
2005 Lord's Eng v Ban - Ashley Giles and Mohammad Rafique
2006 Lord's Eng v SL - Monty Panesar and Murali
2006 Edgbaston Eng v SL - Monty Panesar and Murali

tooextracool

International Coach
dinu23 said:
I don't know mate, it all depends on the pitch and conditions. If the conditions are overcast and the pitch is green there is little use in playing Bandara, I'd go for Zoysa.

my team,
1.Sanath
2.vandort
3.Tharanga
4.Sanga
5.mahela
6.thilan
7.dilshan
8.kapugedera
9.Vaas
10.Zoysa
11.Murali
i think id have bandara in my side along with malinga. i dont rate any of them for their bowling ability but i think they are far better bowling options than kulasekara and maharoof who define rubbish. England are always going to have more problems against a leg spinner(even if he doesnt turn the ball significantly) than against a medium pace 80mph bowler.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Just found one. Charlie Blythe nabbed 11 for 102 v Australia in 1909. Also, Sonny Ramadhin got nine for 228 v England in 1957.

Having said that - the list of Tests played in May is short.

1902 Edgbaston Eng v Aus
1905 Trent Bridge Eng v Aus
1909 Edgbaston Eng v Aus
1912 OT Aus v SA
1921 Trent Bridge Eng v Aus
1957 Edgbaston Eng v WI
1962 Edgbaston Eng v Pak (started on May 31 - and saw David Allen and Tony Lock share 10)
1965 Edgbaston Eng v NZ - Fred Titmus England's best bowler with 6 wickets
2000 Lord's Eng v Zim - spinning legends Brian Murphy and Chris Schofield
2001 Lord's Eng v Pak - Azhar Mahmood
2002 Lord's Eng v SL - Ruchira Perera and Michael Vaughan (who bowled 14 overs)
2003 Lord's Eng v Zim - Ray Price and Ashley Giles
2004 Lord's Eng v NZ - Ashley Giles and Dan Vettori
2005 Lord's Eng v Ban - Ashley Giles and Mohammad Rafique
2006 Lord's Eng v SL - Monty Panesar and Murali
2006 Edgbaston Eng v SL - Monty Panesar and Murali
So in 14 Tests in May prior to this series, there has only been one occasion in which a spinner has taken 10 wickets in a match, and if the scores in that match are anything to go by, it may well have been a wet wicket.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
a massive zebra said:
So in 14 Tests in May prior to this series, there has only been one occasion in which a spinner has taken 10 wickets in a match, and if the scores in that match are anything to go by, it may well have been a wet wicket.
Given Aus's overnight score on day two of 67 for 2, extremely likely.

I'll also note that Murali, Blythe and Ramadhin are the only ones to have taken more than eight wickets in a Test in May. The most by a seamer in a May Test: 8 (Harmison v NZ, Caddick v Pak). So that it's especially difficult for a spinner to do it is harsh, IMO.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Quotes from the report on England vs Australia, 1st Test at Birmingham, May 27, 28 & 29 1909, taken from the 1910 Wisden.

"A lot of rain had fallen at Birmingham on the previous day (May 26) and during the night, and a drenching shower shortly before eleven forced a long delay in starting the game. There was another heavy downpour about half-past twelve, and not until five o'clock was cricket considered practicable...the wicket at the start being so soft and wet that a good deal of sawdust had to be used...For the most part the wicket was slow and difficult...Rain fell heavily for some time after the drawing of stumps (on May 28)."

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
a massive zebra said:
Err, Hirst got 9 in this very 1909 Test, and that is the only match I have looked at, there may be others.
Don't think so - I've checked the other 13. Suppose I thought England opened with two spinners. :D

a massive zebra

International Captain
Bosanquet & Laver 8 in 1905
Gregory & McDonald 8 in 1921
Gough 8 in 2001

Might have thought an individual of such supposedly high intellect would have done a far more efficient job of unveiling all relevant information. :dry:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
The most by a seamer in a May Test: 8
and then..

a massive zebra said:
Gough 8 in 2001

Might have thought an individual of such supposedly high intellect would have done a far more efficient job of unveiling all relevant information. :dry:
Well as far as I see your 8 is no more than his 8. So the statement is still true so what is the point?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
a massive zebra said:
Gough 8 in 2001

And Bosanquet was a leg break googly, to boot. Invented the damn thing.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Im trying to recap the recent posts in this thread to try and make sense of them and understand.

a massive zebra said:
How many spinners have taken 10 wickets in WET DAMP CONDITION IN MAY during a Test match in England?
Fair point implying that it is in difficult conditions for spinners and favouring seamers.

and the answer is 2 in only 14 tests including

Samuel_Vimes said:
Just found one. Charlie Blythe]11 for 102 v Australia in 1909
but despite the supposed seamer friendly conditions NO seamer has ever taken 10 wickets in a test, in England in May.

So the significance of Murali being a spinner and taking 10 is minute as it is historically less likely for a seamer to do it.

yet despite the original statement being devalued comments like

a massive zebra said:
still occur.

I may have really missed something but Im confused as to how this discussion has progressed.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Goughy said:
and then..

Well as far as I see your 8 is no more than his 8. So the statement is still true so what is the point?
He named a couple of those particular instances (Harmison v NZ, Caddick v Pak) and yet missed others, as I mentioned. Anyway, the most by a seamer is not 8, but 9 by George Hirst in 1909 as I have already stated.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
And Bosanquet was a leg break googly, to boot. Invented the damn thing.
In reality, he alternated between pace and spin as required and actually started as a pace bowler.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
but 9 by George Hirst in 1909 as I have already stated.
Fair point about Hirst. I missed that 1st time around.
But at the end of the day 9 is still not 10, which was the original point.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
In reality, he alternated between pace and spin as required and actually started as a pace bowler.
Lets not be silly now. In 1905 he was bowling legbreak/googly. That is who he was. To include him on a list of seamers is wrong and then to defend the point is desperate.