• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South African tour of England and Ireland 2022

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
He is gonna have to show me a hell'va a lot more composure... his talent has never been in doubt, hence all his previous opportunities. But if he is just gonna mindlessly hack at the ball, we might as well choose some younger talented players that have shown better temperament and growth.
Bit harsh to say "previous oppurtunities" like he did nothing. 39 @95 in odi's and 28 @137 in t20's up to this date aren't exactly numbers to scoff at, better than alot of players SA have trialled in that period.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Nobody said that picking POCs is what's stopping us from winning the T20 WC.
No but the consistent implication and discussion is that POC selection policies are the biggest issue... when really its just bad selection policies altogether, regardless of POC.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Bit harsh to say "previous oppurtunities" like he did nothing. 39 @95 in odi's and 28 @137 in t20's up to this date aren't exactly numbers to scoff at, better than alot of players SA have trialled in that period.
He did not set the world alight initially, but was stuck with for a long while and was just becoming consistent when he decide to go kolpak... but he always had temperament issues. Which is observed even by his up/down selection around the world for the various cricketing tournaments... post everything.

And you say this as if I was happy with the selections in-between as well.

Marius

International Debutant
No but the consistent implication and discussion is that POC selection policies are the biggest issue... when really its just bad selection policies altogether, regardless of POC.
The fact that political considerations come before cricketing considerations in selecting our teams, is one of the major issues with our selection problems. You can't separate the two issues.

If there were no political considerations it's unlikely that Andile would be in the squad, and Temba and Reeza would probably not be regulars in the playing XI.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The fact that political considerations come before cricketing considerations in selecting our teams, is one of the major issues with our selection problems. You can't separate the two issues.

If there were no political considerations it's unlikely that Andile would be in the squad, and Temba and Reeza would probably not be regulars in the playing XI.
Yes and that is an issue...but that does not explain the consistent selection of other undeserving players, that are not POC, that are selected either. If the POC was keeping deserving players out of the team and non-POC deserving players where not being selected then that scrutiny holds, but plenty of poor non-POC are being selected for the SA team... If you really think players like Pretorius, Klaasen and Rillee should also be in the squad then we just going to have to disagree on total squad selection.

Personally my problem is that players are being selected based on criteria like 'they have done their dues' etc (and this would include somebody like Zondo) and thus are getting selected first... and that is a far bigger problem in selection issues right now, than selection due to quota issues, where outside one or two players the majority of the POC are largely deserving to be there.

The biggest problem with quotas is what they did to the FC competition, which has a different effect on the SA team and selection.

Marius

International Debutant
Yes and that is an issue...but that does not explain the consistent selection of other undeserving players, that are not POC, that are selected either. If the POC was keeping deserving players out of the team and non-POC deserving players where not being selected then that scrutiny holds, but plenty of poor non-POC are being selected for the SA team... If you really think players like Pretorius, Klaasen and Rillee should also be in the squad then we just going to have to disagree on total squad selection.

Personally my problem is that players are being selected based on criteria like 'they have done their dues' etc (and this would include somebody like Zondo) and thus are getting selected first... and that is a far bigger problem in selection issues right now, than selection due to quota issues, where outside one or two players the majority of the POC are largely deserving to be there.

The biggest problem with quotas is what they did to the FC competition, which has a different effect on the SA team and selection.
I agree with you, generally, here.

I understand the need for some sort of quota system to a certain level, because of SA history etc., but you are right, it damages FC cricket, which in turn, damages the feeder into the Proteas.

And it results in ridiculous (indeed perverse) outcomes - like Ashwell Prince getting into trouble for not playing enough BAs even though he played more POCs than he needed to in his XI when he was coaching the Cobras.

I think an argument could be made that Zondo did deserve a look in, given his FC form last year, but that's another debate.

chris.hinton

International Captain
South Africa need to pick more then 5 bowlers. I dont think they have the vast depth to trouble England for the last 2 T20s

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa need to pick more then 5 bowlers. I dont think they have the vast depth to trouble England for the last 2 T20s
Yeah... they consistently selecting a long bowling line-up when we have batting issues, but a pretty good bowling setup. Wait until the Tests hit and we are playing Jansen at 7....