• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South African tour of England and Ireland 2022

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
3 ODIs vs England, 3 T20s vs England, 2 T20s vs Ireland, 3 Tests vs England

12 July Lions vs SA, Taunton
14 July Lions vs SA, Worcester

1st ODI 19 July, Chester-le-Street
2nd ODI 22 July, Manchester
3rd ODI 24 July, Leeds

1st T20I 27 July, Bristol
2nd T20I 28 July, Cardiff
3rd T20I 31 July, Southampton

1st T20 v Ireland 03 Aug, Bristol (??)
2nd T20 v Ireland 05 Aug, Bristol (??)

1st Test 17-21 Aug, Lords
2nd Test 25-29 Aug, Manchester
3rd Test 08-12 Sept, The Oval

Proteas ODI squad:

Keshav Maharaj (captain, Dolphins), Quinton de Kock (Titans), Reeza Hendricks (Lions), Marco Jansen (Warriors), Heinrich Klaasen (Titans), Janneman Malan (Rocks), Aiden Markram (Titans), David Miller (Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Titans), Andile Phehlukwayo (Dolphins), Dwaine Pretorius (North West Dragons), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Tabraiz Shamsi (Titans), Rassie van der Dussen (Lions), Lizaad Williams (Titans), Khaya Zondo (Dolphins), Kyle Verreynne (Western Province).

Proteas T20 squad:

David Miller (captain, Dolphins), Gerald Coetzee (Knights), Quinton de Kock (Titans), Reeza Hendricks (Lions), Heinrich Klaasen (Titans), Keshav Maharaj (Dolphins), Aiden Markram (Titans), Lungi Ngidi (Titans), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Wayne Parnell (Western Province), Andile Phehlukwayo (Dolphins), Dwaine Pretorius (North West Dragons), Kagiso Rabada (Lions), Rilee Rossouw (Knights), Tabraiz Shamsi (Titans), Tristan Stubbs (Warriors), Rassie van der Dussen (Lions).

Proteas Test squad:

Dean Elgar (captain, Titans), Sarel Erwee (Dolphins), Marco Jansen (Warrios), Simon Harmer (Titans), Keshav Maharaj (Dolphins), Aiden Markram (Titans), Lungi Ngidi (Titans), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Duanne Olivier (Lions), Keegan Petersen (Dolphins), Kagiso Rabada (Lions), Ryan Rickelton (Lions), Lutho Sipamla (Lions), Rassie van der Dussen (Lions), Kyle Verreynne (Western Province), Khaya Zondo (Dolphins), Glenton Stuurman (Warriors)

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah those Ireland T20s are happening in England I'm pretty sure.

Looking forward to this series. Both Test sides have seen a lot of change recently and (at this moment at least) both feel like they are starting something of an upswing.

SA Test line up will be almost nothing like the last one which toured here. Elgar, Maharaj and Rabada might be the only returnees? (Possibly we saw Olivier v 1.0 then but not expecting to see him play this time barring injuries, right?)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
And no Mulder for any of the squads is pretty bad... but particularly for the Test squad.

But Coetzee's inclusion in the T20 is promising... if the wrong place for him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I probably wouldn't pick Mulder in the white ball squads either unless I was going to bat him in the top four. He's totally unsuited to batting further down.

Should definitely be in the Test squad though.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I probably wouldn't pick Mulder in the white ball squads either unless I was going to bat him in the top four. He's totally unsuited to batting further down.

Should definitely be in the Test squad though.
Don't disagree. I would be fine for just the Test squad as well... but not picking him at all is just a bad sign from a selection point of view.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Yeah, I'm not happy about Mulder's exclusion either (and I also initially assumed he was there until his absence was pointed out). My worry is that it's a sign that they're thinking of batting Jansen at 7, which would be a mistake. He's shown some promise with the bat, but at this point in his career he's a bowler who can bat a bit and is some way off being an all-rounder.

He is playing county cricket at the moment, so he could be called up to the squad quite easily, but I think that's unlikely given that he's not there from the outset.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'm not happy about Mulder's exclusion either (and I also initially assumed he was there until his absence was pointed out). My worry is that it's a sign that they're thinking of batting Jansen at 7, which would be a mistake. He's shown some promise with the bat, but at this point in his career he's a bowler who can bat a bit and is some way off being an all-rounder.

He is playing county cricket at the moment, so he could be called up to the squad quite easily, but I think that's unlikely given that he's not there from the outset.
They definitely looking at batting Jansen higher. I also wonder if they are thinking Maharaj and Harmer?

Dendarii

International Debutant
They definitely looking at batting Jansen higher. I also wonder if they are thinking Maharaj and Harmer?
Maharaj vs Harmer is an interesting situation if they only go for one of them. Maharaj may be South Africa's first choice spinner, but Harmer's been so good in England for so long now that there's possibly a case for playing him ahead of Maharaj.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
And no Mulder for any of the squads is pretty bad... but particularly for the Test squad.

But Coetzee's inclusion in the T20 is promising... if the wrong place for him.
Besides mulder,Jansen, kyle v they seem to prefer testing youngsters first in t20s it seems.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
I saw it after I created the thread, assuming he was there... and then @WpGuy mentioned it in SA selection thread...
Jansen not a test allrounder only allrounder in squad lolls. one can only assume 7 batsmen including keeper and than 4 or 3 pace plus 1 spinner and 5th bowler makram. Sarel,elgar,petersen,makram, rvdd, Rickleton, Kyle v, Maharaj/Jansen, Rabada, Nortjie, Ngidi

Stefan9

International Debutant
Jansen not a test allrounder only allrounder in squad lolls. one can only assume 7 batsmen including keeper and than 4 or 3 pace plus 1 spinner and 5th bowler makram. Sarel,elgar,petersen,makram, rvdd, Rickleton, Kyle v, Maharaj/Jansen, Rabada, Nortjie, Ngidi
Wishful thinking. Its going to be 6 batsmen including the keeper with the tail starting at 7 with Jansen. We are totally screwed if that 6 also happens to include zondo...

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Wishful thinking. Its going to be 6 batsmen including the keeper with the tail starting at 7 with Jansen. We are totally screwed if that 6 also happens to include zondo...
if harmer maharaj and rabada come in 8 ,9,10 there is hope for a tailwag,looks like makram to sit out if erwee starts then unless they bench rickleton.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I suspect we going to go with a similar team to what we where previously playing.

Elgar, Erwee, Pietersen, VDD, Rickleton/Zondo, Veryenne, Jansen, Harmer, Maharaj, Rabada and Nortje.

In effect they don't want to leave out Harmer, won't/can't pick between him and Maharaj... and currently the selectors have a hard on for Jansen. So we end up with to many bowlers, not enough batsmen. In a team that will struggle to get past 350 most days and have enough decent bowlers...