• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South African tour of England and Ireland 2022

Dendarii

International Debutant
How concerning is it that Markram has been the best of the South African bowlers? I know that Rabada, Ngidi, and Nortje aren't playing, but Maharaj and Jansen haven't been particularly effective.

Heboric

International Debutant
How concerning is it that Markram has been the best of the South African bowlers? I know that Rabada, Ngidi, and Nortje aren't playing, but Maharaj and Jansen haven't been particularly effective.
Yeah Markram a fiver and the others pounded :wacko: :wacko:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looks like the entire England FC setup have decided to play Bazball. Conceding 169 in 22 overs is really, impressively bad.

Nicky

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
England will be quite happy with the Lions performance.
Lawrence, Brook, Duckett, Billings, Overton & Robinson have been great. I didn't see the game ; I'm just talking through the scorecard.
I think Lawrence & Brook deserve a decent go. Robinson has already shown he's really good.
England should keep Pope, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Foakes, Broad, Anderson & Leach from their previous Tests.

So, my England XI :
Lawrence, Brook, Pope, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Foakes, Robinson, Broad, Leach, Anderson
Though Potts was very good, I still think Robinson deserves to come back. I know Lawrence & Brook are not openers, but that's the only way to fit them in the XI. I think Lees & Crawley have had a long enough run.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA heading towards a nice innings defeat... be interesting to see if Markram has done enough to get into the SA team for the Test match.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Pope is clearly the ahem, fallible, batter in the lineup. He follows up a good score with a few mediocre ones, so you're never quite sure he's turned the corner. I like Lawrence, but again, doesn't give much optimism he will be consistent to average more than the 28 or so every new batter in the side seems to peak at. Brook probably is the next cab, and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't come in for Pope during this series.

I would replace Crawley with Duckett, who I think is capable of opening. He has done, in for subcontinent tests, of course - and couldn't handle spin, but that's not a reason to not select him at home. And it was 2016 anyway, so it's not as though he hasn't developed.

Heboric

International Debutant
SA heading towards a nice innings defeat... be interesting to see if Markram has done enough to get into the SA team for the Test match.
Should have done enough, Zondo batted well in first innings but the way he got out in the second was terrible an almighty hack to the first ball after lunch to Dan "I will never laugh at Hashim Amlas bowling action ever" Lawrence

Nicky

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yes... they need to try something else. Those 2 had too many chances in my opinion... It's not as if they had a good First Class average. Lees isn't a Test batter, and Crawley might be too young or something... All their other opening pair haven't been good since the Cook-Strauss one.
So something else... Like Duckett-Sam Curran ? :)
Duckett-Buttler ?
Buttler-Curran ?
Eskinazi-Duckett ?
... Any other ideas ?
I think they need something a bit funky....

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
If they are prepared to do something funky then maybe they'd try Brook as an opener. He's the guy they really want to fit in the team somehow.

I think most likely they'll go with Lees and Crawley again though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If they are prepared to do something funky then maybe they'd try Brook as an opener. He's the guy they really want to fit in the team somehow.
I think it'd be really harsh and potentially career-damaging to do that. They'll just wait until a middle order spot opens up for him IMO - or alternatively make him debut as an opener at the end of some disastrous overseas tour after they drop someone and have no-one else to come in. :laugh:

I'm thinking Duckett and Lees. Lees will never be Test standard IMO but he wasn't completely terrible against NZ+Ind so I can't see them dropping him just yet, especially since he made a half century in his last knock. Crawley probably has to go though, and even though Duckett's ton against SA was in the middle order he's been mostly batting 3 lately domestically and has done plenty of opening (mainly in white ball cricket, but still).

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it'd be really harsh and potentially career-damaging to do that. They'll just wait until a middle order spot opens up for him IMO - or alternatively make him debut as an opener at the end of some disastrous overseas tour after they drop someone and have no-one else to come in. :laugh:

I'm thinking Duckett and Lees. Lees will never be Test standard IMO but he wasn't completely terrible against NZ+Ind so I can't see them dropping him just yet, especially since he made a half century in his last knock. Crawley probably has to go though, and even though Duckett's ton against SA was in the middle order he's been mostly batting 3 lately domestically and has done plenty of opening (mainly in white ball cricket, but still).
Yeah not something I'd do, but seems to be something NZ do so wonder if might be in McCullum's playbook.

Agree that Lees shouldn't be in the firing line.