• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2019/20

Woodster

International Captain
Have you come across Lehan Botha ? Very good young batsman. Think he may get a Western Province contract. He was player of the recently concluded Francise Academy Week. Should have been in the SA u19 squad I feel.
I have come across him only in terms of doing my research, but I think I’m right in saying he’s played representative cricket with WP at under-17 level and above hasn’t he ? That being the case, he would be considered a ‘pro’ over here in the UK and in order to qualify for a pro’s visa he’d need to have played five first-class matches (or 5 under-19 World Cup matches for SA) in the last two years. If he gets into the WP side and gets a run then he will hopefully be eligible. This is all providing he doesn’t already have a UK/EU passport.

I’m sure I saw that he registered with a website called Cricketer Exchange, a website that essentially just puts you in touch with clubs in the UK, but doesn’t do any of the research into the club and player as a genuine match to ensure both parties get what they’re after and the player is playing at a level they require.

Understand he’s a very highly rated young batsman isn’t he ?

Woodster

International Captain
Pleased to see Isma-eel Gafieldien get a contract, had a fantastic season with Boland this year.

SeamUp

International Coach
I have come across him only in terms of doing my research, but I think I’m right in saying he’s played representative cricket with WP at under-17 level and above hasn’t he ? That being the case, he would be considered a ‘pro’ over here in the UK and in order to qualify for a pro’s visa he’d need to have played five first-class matches (or 5 under-19 World Cup matches for SA) in the last two years. If he gets into the WP side and gets a run then he will hopefully be eligible. This is all providing he doesn’t already have a UK/EU passport.

I’m sure I saw that he registered with a website called Cricketer Exchange, a website that essentially just puts you in touch with clubs in the UK, but doesn’t do any of the research into the club and player as a genuine match to ensure both parties get what they’re after and the player is playing at a level they require.

Understand he’s a very highly rated young batsman isn’t he ?
I quite like him. Think he looks an all round good player. Picks up length nicely and has a lovely pull shot and can play FC and 50-over cricket equally well for me.

Went to my old school and the master in charge of cricket and one of the selectors for WP u19s is a Mr Dalrymple. Been in charge for quite a few years now. Spoke to him and he is quite bullish about him. Think he will go far. He scored the highest score on Cricket A beating names such as Gary Kirsten, John Commins, HD Ackerman, Jonathan Trott, Andrew Puttick, Ryan Bailey, Zubayr Hamza, Dayyaan Galiem, Murray Commins etc which is no mean feat.

Cobras lose so much talent. I'm not sure how they going to balance Bird, Terblance, Botha, D.Smith and Levitt over the next few years and with them all being white it will be tough to do. Obviously 4 are WP produced and Terblanche is Boland produced (his fellow SA u19 fast bowler in Achille Cloete has left for Tuks so he will be in the Northerns/Titans pipeline now). Western Cape are doing really well again in producing talent & Boland are arguably the best at producing talent from the smaller regions. I would say right now along with Eastern Province (WP/Boland) they got the most exciting talent coming through.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Ashwell Prince is still pushing for 12 Provinces. There are obstacles but at least there should be genuine discussion with SACA involved and nobody will be frcing anybody to do anything.

Also not sure if it was mentioned but SA U19s will be competing in the Provincial One-day competition next season.

SeamUp

International Coach
In : Mathew Kleinveldt (Cobras), Jonathan Vandiar (Titans), Jacques Snyman (Northern Cape), Ferisco Adams (Cobras), Duan Jansen (Free State), Migael Pretorius (Lions), Alfred Mothoa (Titans)
Out : Keegan Petersen (Dolphins), Tshepo Ntuli (Warriors), Ottneil Baartman (Dolphins), Marco Jansen (Warriors), Corne Dry, Obus Pienaar, Luvuyo Adam, Shadley van Schalkwyk, Thando Mnyaka
Official Knights 2020/21 squad confirmation.

Donald excited by new signings

The goal of the VKB Knights when it came to contracting players for the 2020/21 domestic cricket season was flair, youth and experience.

With the new faces in the squad, there were of course quite a few departures and the Knights will no doubt feel the absence of the star batsman, Keegan Petersen (Dolphins) and the left-arm fast bowler, Marco Jansen (Warriors).

The other players who greeted the Knights at the conclusion of the season were Shadley van Schalkwyk, Corné Dry, Ottniel Baartman, Tshepo Ntuli and Obus Pienaar.

The confirmed signings for the new season are Jonathan Vandiar (batsman), Matthew Kleinveldt (all-rounder), Ferisco Adams (all-rounder), Duan Jansen (seamer), Jacques Snyman (batting all-rounder), Migael Pretorius (seamer) and Alfred Mothoa (seamer).

The most notable signing is that of Vandiar, who has been somewhat of a journeyman throughout his career but never really lived up to the expectations. Having said that, he has played India Premier League (IPL) cricket for the Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) in the past and you have to be a pretty special player to play in the biggest cricket league in the world.

Incoming Knights coach, Allan Donald, certainly believes that Vandiar is exactly what they were looking for in a player, and being a left-handed top-order batsman is a bonus.

“Vandiar played for RCB back in the day. He is a left-hand batter, very destructive and he has got all the shots in the book,” Donald told Bloemfontein Courant.

“He has been in and out the Titans setup for quite some time and hasn’t really produced.

“IN TERMS WHAT HE CAN BRING TO OUR GROUP IS THAT A LEFT-HAND OPTION AT THE TOP OF THE ORDER WILL GIVE US THE FLAIR WE ARE LOOKING AT.

“Mix that with the squad we have selected for the upcoming summer. There are Jacques Snyman, Andries Gous and Raynard van Tonder, and they are just a couple of youngsters who can challenge for that spot at the top of the order. We want to challenge the environment and we want to challenge all of these players to be the best they can be.”

In terms of the bowlers, Jansen has been given the rookie contract for the season, and he effectively replaces his twin brother who is being moved to the Eastern Cape. While Duan is not as polished as Marco yet, it is a massive opportunity for the youngster.

Pretorius is an unknown name in South African cricket at the moment and has been flying under the radar at the Lions, however, his statistics paint an exciting picture, and Donald is certainly happy to have him at the Knights.

“I HAVE BEEN WATCHING HIM FOR TWO YEARS NOW. HE HASN’T PLAYED MUCH FOR THE LIONS BUT THE TIMES THAT HE HAD, HE IMPRESSED ME. HE IS BIG, HE CAN BOWL QUICK, AND HE CAN ALSO SMACK A BALL A LONG WAY.

“For those people who don’t know him, he was the player of the tournament in the Abu Dhabi T10’s last year.

“He took lots of wickets for the Deccan Gladiators in the competition. He is a very exciting player and I cannot wait to work with him.”

While the Knights are still a young squad, they are fairly settled, however, the new additions will certainly give Donald and his coaching staff selection headaches when the new season starts. – MORGAN PIEK

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Also not sure if it was mentioned but SA U19s will be competing in the Provincial One-day competition next season.
I think it was mentioned almost indirectly without much fan fair. Quite a big move though.

Ashwell Prince is still pushing for 12 Provinces. There are obstacles but at least there should be genuine discussion with SACA involved and nobody will be frcing anybody to do anything.
Still think that a provincial system would be best. Even if 12 provinces sounds like a lot?

Woodster

International Captain
I quite like him. Think he looks an all round good player. Picks up length nicely and has a lovely pull shot and can play FC and 50-over cricket equally well for me.

Went to my old school and the master in charge of cricket and one of the selectors for WP u19s is a Mr Dalrymple. Been in charge for quite a few years now. Spoke to him and he is quite bullish about him. Think he will go far. He scored the highest score on Cricket A beating names such as Gary Kirsten, John Commins, HD Ackerman, Jonathan Trott, Andrew Puttick, Ryan Bailey, Zubayr Hamza, Dayyaan Galiem, Murray Commins etc which is no mean feat.

Cobras lose so much talent. I'm not sure how they going to balance Bird, Terblance, Botha, D.Smith and Levitt over the next few years and with them all being white it will be tough to do. Obviously 4 are WP produced and Terblanche is Boland produced (his fellow SA u19 fast bowler in Achille Cloete has left for Tuks so he will be in the Northerns/Titans pipeline now). Western Cape are doing really well again in producing talent & Boland are arguably the best at producing talent from the smaller regions. I would say right now along with Eastern Province (WP/Boland) they got the most exciting talent coming through.
Thanks for that, will certainly keep my eye on Lehan Botha and see if he would be interested in a developmental season in UK club cricket , as and when he becomes eligible. By the sounds of it it shouldn’t be too long before he’s got five first-class games under his belt.

Yes that’s going to be a tough balancing act to keep hold of the likes of Bird, Terblanche, Botha, Smith and Levitt. Of those I’ve seen the most of Terblanche, seems more ideally suited to longer form cricket at this stage but looks a real prospect. Is now eligible to come and play over here as a ‘pro’ so really hoping to get the chance to help find him the right club at some point.

SeamUp

International Coach
Thanks for that, will certainly keep my eye on Lehan Botha and see if he would be interested in a developmental season in UK club cricket , as and when he becomes eligible. By the sounds of it it shouldn’t be too long before he’s got five first-class games under his belt.

Yes that’s going to be a tough balancing act to keep hold of the likes of Bird, Terblanche, Botha, Smith and Levitt. Of those I’ve seen the most of Terblanche, seems more ideally suited to longer form cricket at this stage but looks a real prospect. Is now eligible to come and play over here as a ‘pro’ so really hoping to get the chance to help find him the right club at some point.
I would agree that. Very much an old school opener for the longer format. Which to me is always a good base. I reckon if you can master the red-ball game you have the platform to kick on the white form game even if selections like England are trying to prove different in recent times. So think that was the reason Terblanche missed out on SA U19 world cup selection despite runs behind his name. I probably would have also tried to find a spot for him though if no limitations.

Nice interview with Ruan from February : https://cricketfanaticsmag.com/ruan-terblanche-hits-323/
Scored a triple century this year in a 3-day trial game Limpopo

So you looking after him then to try arrange something in England ?

SeamUp

International Coach
I think it was mentioned almost indirectly without much fan fair. Quite a big move though.
Think it is a positive move. Excited to see the new coaching staff and what the group looks like.

Attended Cubs Week 19/20 that qualify.

WP : Daniel Smith (18), Kai Curran (18), Darian Naidoo (18)
EP : Jade Smith (17), James Mullins (18), Nicholas Keevy (18), George van Heerden (17), Sonwabiso Tshona (18), Ethan Frosler (18), Joshua Stephenson (17), Siyathemba Mdlankomo (18)
KZN Inland : Slade van Staden (17), Nicholas Hatton (17), Colby Dyer (18), Andile Simelane (17)
Free State : Reeza Alexander (17), Juan-dee Olivier (18), Mvula Chabalala (17), Brian Thaele (18)
Gauteng : Heinrigh Pieterse (18), Breiydn Schaper (18), Taheer Isaacs (18), Michael Copeland (18), Liam McCarthy (18), Zakhele Sibanda (18)
Northerns : Simeon de Bruyn (18), Hendrik Coetzer (18), Valentine Kitime (17), Zeeshan Ismail (18)

Boland : Andrew Whaits (18), Nathan Jacobs (17)
SWD :
Border : Matthew Fourie (18), Lilitha Reed (18)
KZN Coastal : Chad Laycock (17) , Bonga Shezi (17)
Northern Cape :
North West : Christopher de Freitas (18)
Easterns : Khayalathu Nyamathe (18)
Mpumalanga : Akhulile Makatu (18)

Younger players who will come into the picture that wasn't in Cubs Week 2019/20

WP : Michael Levitt (17), Anda Dilima (18)
Gauteng : Ronan Herman (17), Zack Momberg (17)
Northerns : Christiaan du Toit (17), Dewald Brevis (17)

Best players from CSA U15 Week 2019 (16 this year) and were in their school first teams from the start of the year & were performing.

Boland : Dewald Grove , Samuel Chemaly, Keano Coetzee
Eastern Province : Daniel Ristow
Border : Tyler Stagg
KZN Inland : Luc Benkenstein
Free State : Liam Doherty
Gauteng : Reuben du Toit
Northerns : Hernus Marais
Limpopo : Shelton Ngobeni

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Still think that a provincial system would be best. Even if 12 provinces sounds like a lot?
Agree. Prince doesn't want anyone to slip through the net but there is also weighing up dropping of the standards too.

I guess the problem will be which smaller unions would then fall out if they didn't go to 12 and that will create issues.

If we honest - most of them aren't self producing enough to not have recruit from the outside too.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/p...expansion-smaller-teams-will-compete-20200407

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Provinces have been releasing their 11 contracted players for next season.

Also long serving Cobras/WP CEO Nabiel Dien has stepped down and here we are : https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/o...lly-backs-domestic-cricket-expansion-20200429

Back to provincial cricket is close to completion for 2021/22 and all the points Nabiel brings up to me is what made SA cricket thrive. Competition for places etc So I am glad we getting back to provincial cricket and compact squads. Backed up by Academies again. In the provincial statement releases for the squads it is great to see academy there again like in the GCB release. Players out of school & not in the provincial squad but there is also the in-take which are the players in school and will be from whom the SA u19 squad will be selected from.

Ken Borland/Ashwell Prince on the provincial system and the so-called smaller provinces : Cape Cobras cricket | Ken Borland

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Provincial squads

WESTERN PROVINCE : WP announce contracted squad for 2020/2021 season
BOLAND :
SWD : https://www.swdcricket.co.za/news/article/2170
EP : https://www.cricketworld.com/easter...ir-contracted-squad-for-the-2020-21/63049.htm
BORDER : https://www.pressreader.com/south-africa/daily-dispatch/20200414/281831465859516
KZN COASTAL & INLAND : https://dolphinscricket.co.za/kzncu...zncu-announce-semi-pro-squads-for-next-season

NORTHERN CAPE :
FREE STATE :
GAUTENG : https://www.cricketworld.com/centra...nced-their-senior-provincial-squads/63103.htm
NORTH WEST :
NORTHERNS : https://www.titans.co.za/northerns-show-their-hand-for-the-2020-2021-campaign/
EASTERNS : https://www.cricketworld.com/easterns-cricket-announces-senior-provincial-contract-list/63007.htm

Still waiting on the blanks. Boland lost quite a few players so quite a bit of change. Their star will be Ruan Terblanche although will see if David Rushmere will get a contract. Craig Alexander likely the franchise experience in the squad.

Northern Cape players worth watching will be Garnett Tarr and Beyers Swanepoel. Players with franchise experience in their squad last season who could be there still were Obus Pienaar, Clyde Fortuin and Aubrey Swanepoel.

Lots of change at Free State. They losing players not only franchise but provincial. Sean Whitehead , the former SA U19 spinner is probably the stand-out.

North West had to start building a new young team after losing so many players to franchise teams. Lesego Senokwane and Johan Diseko played for the Lions last season. But they got new talent like Eben Botha, Shane Dadswell, Ruan Haasbroek, Nicholas Smit, Khanya Cotani, Jordan Morris, Katleho Leokaoke, Jon Hinrichsen and Chad Claasen.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
thesouthafrican.com/sport/cricket/solidarity-cup-3tc-preview-*********-info-tv-times-teams/

Three teams of eight will compete for the inaugural Solidarity Cup with the action taking place across 36 overs split into two halves.

Kagiso Rabada and Sisanda Magala withdrew from the event due the tragic deaths of family members. Rabada was replaced by young Cobras fast bowler Thando Ntini, the son of Proteas great Makhaya. In less of a like for like swap, spin-bowling allrounder Bjorn Fortuin replaces seamer Magala.

The teams all have a blend of youth and experience. The Kites, captained by Quinton de Kock will benefit from having the Proteas skipper partner with Temba Bavuma. Their team is blessed with pace options from Anrich Nortje, Beuran Hendricks, Lutho Sipamla and allrounder Dwaine Pretorius. Proteas middle-order men Jon-Jon Smuts and David Miller round out the eight.

The Kingfishers sport two of South Africa?s most exciting fast bowling prospects in Ntini and Gerald Coetzee and are coached by Proteas Women stalwart Mignon du Preez. Proteas Janneman Malan and Faf du Plessis make up the batting spine while Heinrich Klaasen and Reeza Hendricks make up the opening pair. It might be unfair to label Glenton Stuurman a journeyman pace bowler, but the 27-year-old will be delighted with the opportunity to showcase his skills on the national stage. Tabraiz Shamsi is a proven game-breaker who might just hold the key to this team?s success. They are the only team to feature players who have not been capped in international cricket.

There is a Titans feel about the Eagles who will be led by AB de Villiers who is set to open with Aiden Markram. Also appearing at their domestic homeground are Junior Dala and Lungi Ngidi. Joining them are the Lions Fortuin and Rassie van der Dussen, the Cobras Kyle Verreynne and the Dolphins Andile Phehlukwayo.

MR D FOOD KITES
Quinton De Kock (captain), Temba Bavuma, Jon-Jon Smuts, David Miller, Dwaine Pretorius, Lutho Sipamla, Beuran Hendricks, Anrich Nortje.

Coach: Wandile Gwavu

OUTSURANCE KINGFISHERS
Heinrich Klaasen (captain), Reeza Hendricks, Janneman Malan, Faf du Plessis, Thando Ntini, Gerald Coetzee, Glenton Stuurman, Tabraiz Shamsi.

Coach: Mignon du Preez

TAKEALOT EAGLES
AB de Villiers (captain), Aiden Markram, Rassie van der Dussen, Kyle Verreynne, Andile Phehlukwayo, Bjorn Fortuin, Junior Dala, Lungi Ngidi.

Coach: Geoffrey Toyana

SOLIDARITY CUP: 3TC ? BROADCAST TIMES AND ********* INFO
The match will go out live on SuperSport 2 (DStv channel 202) with the broadcast beginning at 10:50 (SAST) on Saturday 18 July. Viewers from India and parts of South Asia can enjoy the match on Star Sports network.

The match will also stream live through the DStv now app (Subscription required).

SOLIDARITY CUP: 3TC ? RULES
The 3TC game is played between three teams of eight players each. It will be a 36-over game divided into two halves of 18 overs.
Each side will get a total of 12 overs in the innings, divided between two six-over periods in each half.
A draw will be conducted to ascertain which team will bat, bowl or sit in the dug-out in the first half. In the second half, the team that finished with the most number of runs in the first half will bat first. In the case of a tie, the order of the first half will be reversed.
Each bowling team will bowl with a new ball for their 12 overs against both opponents. A bowler can bowl a maximum of three overs in the game.
After the fall of the 7th wicket, the last man will be allowed to bat till the overs are completed or till the time he is dismissed. However, the last-standing batsman can score only in boundaries or in an even number of runs.
If a team loses all eight wickets in the first half, the remaining overs will be forfeited in the second half, and the last batsman will be asked to resume the innings in the second half.
The team with the most number of runs across the two halves will be the winner. The winner will be awarded by a gold medal while the teams finishing second and third will be conferred with silver and bronze medals respectively.
In case of a tie for the gold, Super-Overs will be used to decide the fate. In case of a tie for the silver, both teams will share the award.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Coach: Mignon du Preez
I hadn't previously taken note of who the coaches were, but Du Preez as one of them is an interesting, but positive choice. I don't know how much coaching really matters for something like this, but if it's a sign that she's looking to move into coaching once her playing days are over then that's only a good thing for the development of the women's game.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The fielding restrictions - 6 fielders in their own 'zones' - have led to an awful lot of ones and twos since they're basically free. Relatively few boundaries despite the short format

Howe_zat

Audio File
A great run out there. Standard's been quite good.

56-2 after six overs feel like a bit of a win for the fielding side since the outfield is practically empty. I'm not expecting any of the 8-man sides to get bowled out.