• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
Some other pre-season stuff coming up.

Dolphins Premier League starting in KZN this weekend. Lions have had a Lenasia PL and Titans had their Bash.

The teams : Just the SA A guys not involved - https://dolphinscricket.co.za/dolphins-premier-league/#1531830209058-2d8ffa69-31a2

Knights are playing Free State on Saturday in Eastern Free State. Good to see Gerald Coetzee in the Free State squad.

Kasi Challenge : Dolphins v Cobras in a T20 on 31 August at Chatsworth Oval

Knights v Dolphins at Port Shepstone beginning of September : https://southcoastherald.co.za/knights-vs-dolphins/

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
Marnus Labuschagne - there's a good old Australian name. :laugh: Although to be fair, Cricinfo lists him as having played for Queensland Under-17s, so it looks as though he moved to Australia as a child/teenager.

SeamUp

International Coach
Father was a miner in North West and moved when younger. Think he scored a 100 on FC debut and was their 50-overs player of the season last season.

If SA A have any chance they will need a good base up top. Erwee is a player who starts his innings like he has been batting for an hour already. Rossouw was like that.

SeamUp

International Coach
Suppose it is an ok start. Minimum needed was keep up with the rate. Maybe one down would have been better.

Cloete can look good when he is in the mood with his stroke-play mixed with power. He just fails too much. I always thought 4-day was his his game but in terms of dominance 50-over last season was his real breakthrough.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Another well selected side. Australia go in with two front-line spinners and Head, South Africa drop Shamsi, have four quicks and end up having to rely on Zondo for 8 overs.

SeamUp

International Coach
Just read that Shamsi had back spasms.

I've never been excited about Dwaine Pretorius. He can hit a ball on ocassion but his whole movement technically to play good balls is not good enough. At least they didn't open the bowling with him today as using his type of bowler who isn't a strike bowler just isn't acceptable. Frylinck is another with a good mix of slower balls etc but is he going to play for SA ? No. He might have to play of his houdini batting knocks here. I probably have more faith in him to do it than Pretorius.

Big season for a lot of young cricketers in SA next season. Last domestic season was a massive write-off and worst in my memory. This is what feeds and prepares our future Proteas.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Zondo playing a blinder. He is capable of it but we don't see it enough. 50-over cricket his best format. Will need a Frylinck-houdini act that he has done before to chip in.

109 off 70 is a bit too much to do considering Magala hasn't stepped up with the bat at franchise level like he showed in provincial cricket.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
That's a good knock from Zondo. These are the types of knocks that get people to take notice. More of these consistently is what gets players picked.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
I thought Zondo did all right in the ODIs against India. Not brilliantly, but nobody covered themselves in glory in that series. But based on that and this innings, I do think he's worth another look ahead of the World Cup.

SeamUp

International Coach
Dendarii
Re Zondo Still all very uncertain and still to be convinced but the same can be said for a lot of players. SA have got ODIs v Zimbabwe and Australia before our home season but hopefully the 50-over comp is played early enough to possibly see some fresh blood forcing their hands a bit more.

Opening day of the Dolphins Premier League and it's good to see Savage, Mungroo and Dupavillon all win man-of-the-match awards. Seasoned pro's Morne van Wyk and Vaughn van Jaarsveld with runs.

Savage is off a great season in England leading his club to Lancashire League Final + his batting is really coming on and it included 2 150+ scores.
Mungroo obviously part of the SA Emerging squad so next season will be his first full professional season.
For Dupavillon it has been a nightmare 2 years of injury but speaking to people at his game today he was bowling with serious pace and only went for 4 runs in the 18th and 20th over to win his side the game.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I know you really rate Dupavillion, do you think he's a chance for a Proteas call up if he can stay on the park? Personally I have only seen a little bit of him but have been fairly impressed when I have.

SeamUp

International Coach
I know you really rate Dupavillion, do you think he's a chance for a Proteas call up if he can stay on the park? Personally I have only seen a little bit of him but have been fairly impressed when I have.
I think there will be opportunities if he puts in performances. How quick ? Probably an SA A call-up first because we still have a good set of fast-bowlers. He has missed a lot of cricket so you just hope he can achieve his potential. I still think he can.

For guys like Paterson (29), Parnell (29), Magala (27), Frylinck (34), B.Hendricks (28), Siboto (31), D.Pretorius (29), Dala (29) - I think their time to push for higher honours is closing out. They've lacked any sort of sustained excellence.

I think the future for seam bowling for SA A recognition will hopefully come from.

All-rounders

Savage (25) - Dolphins
C.Bosch (24) - Titans
Phehlukwayo (22) - Dolphins
Galiem (21) - Cobras
Mulder (20) - Lions
E.Bosch (20) - Dolphins
De Swardt (20) - Northerns/Titans

1) Mulder is definitely a front line batsmen but his bowling will keep getting better. You can see his ability to drive a length will be good the older he gets and the quicker he gets.
2) Savage unfortunately can't bowl 140 anymore due to all the injuries so if he can find himself and what role he wants to do as a bowler and the continued growth as a batsmen who when you watch him bat looks like a batsmen is an exciting prospect.
3) Boucher seems very excited about Corbin Bosch. Definitely different to the player I saw in u19 CWC and he has had a spell in Brisbane in between. He looked like medium-pacer at u19 level but now is getting it over 140 and he still has the ability with the bat that Titans mentioned in their contract release.
4) Galiem is another who I think will be similar to Savage in batting will become more important for them. They both have the ability to score 100s. For Galiem he has struggled to transfer his youth bowling to senior level. Pace wise he needs to improve if he wants to continue to bowl a full length & he has stated he is working on getting quicker. He has the skill.
5) The younger Bosch brother looks talented. Things seem to come more easier bowling and batting wise compared to his older brother. Aesthetically better in both. Right now he probably sees himself more of a bowler which is fine but I think he needs to push himself more in both disciplines because has the raw ability to become a serious cricketer.
6) For Phehlukwayo I still think he should be playing more domestic cricket to get stronger to bowl quicker. He looks quite a strong so as I mind-set he also possibly needs to change because I think he can get quicker and bowl a heavy ball and also think time in the middle will bring him on with the bat. He is more capable than we realise with the bat.
7) De Swardt chose cricket over rugby and Titans made sure of it by getting AB to speak to him. Kruger van Wyk spoke of his initial struggles for Tuks out of school but got better and better. Haven't seen him play but I get the idea he isn't quick through the air but is quite skillful while he is capable as a middle order batsmen to score big runs if given the responsibility. I think the Titans see him as the successor to Albie Morkel.

Seamers

Olivier (26) - Knights
Nortje (25) - Warriors
Williams (25) - Cobras
Dupavillon (24) - Dolphins
Mungroo (24) - Dolphins
Rabada (23) - Lions
M.Pretorius (23) - Lions
Burger (23) - Gauteng
Ngidi (22) - Titans
Zuma (22) - Dolphins
Cele (21) - Dolphins
Cohen (20) - Western Province/Cobras
Sipamla (20) - Warriors
Swanepoel (20) - Free State/Knights
Trumpelmann (20) - Northerns/Titans
Coetzee (18) - Free State/Knights
Ntini (18) - Western Province/Cobras
Jones (18) - KZN Inland/Dolphins

Obviously not going to go into lots of detail but its good to see young bowlers coming through not necessarily through the under-age system like Mungroo, M.Pretorius, Burger recently and club cricket can still filter in those that missed the early net. Also seems to be some left-armers coming through like Burger, Cohen & Trumpelmann. We just seem to struggle producing that type.

Skiddy : Williams, Dupavillon, Zuma, Cele, Cohen, Sipamla, Swanepoel.

Olivier has a lot going for him. Quick enough. Can swing the ball. Can hit the pitch when he wants so is quite versatile. Just want the 4-balls to be less and obviously he is front-runner after Steyn/Philander to join KG/Ngidi at this moment.

Apologise for going into so much detail but I suppose you do watch some bowlers and you think they've got it. I thought that when I watched Dupavillon at the beginning. I suppose things have changed so he has it all to do still and it's good that there is competition. Just need opportunity now.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Miller seems to be hitting himself into form in CPL.

Confidence wise his recent cricket has looked confused and disappointing considering he was playing some of his best cricket before that.

Maybe this is what he needed but I still think everything is still up in the air so some of our batsmen will all be on their toes ahead of this world cup.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I think there will be opportunities if he puts in performances. How quick ? Probably an SA A call-up first because we still have a good set of fast-bowlers. He has missed a lot of cricket so you just hope he can achieve his potential. I still think he can.

For guys like Paterson (29), Parnell (29), Magala (27), Frylinck (34), B.Hendricks (28), Siboto (31), D.Pretorius (29), Dala (29) - I think their time to push for higher honours is closing out. They've lacked any sort of sustained excellence.

I think the future for seam bowling for SA A recognition will hopefully come from.

All-rounders

Savage (25) - Dolphins
C.Bosch (24) - Titans
Phehlukwayo (22) - Dolphins
Galiem (21) - Cobras
Mulder (20) - Lions
E.Bosch (20) - Dolphins
De Swardt (20) - Northerns/Titans

1) Mulder is definitely a front line batsmen but his bowling will keep getting better. You can see his ability to drive a length will be good the older he gets and the quicker he gets.
2) Savage unfortunately can't bowl 140 anymore due to all the injuries so if he can find himself and what role he wants to do as a bowler and the continued growth as a batsmen who when you watch him bat looks like a batsmen is an exciting prospect.
3) Boucher seems very excited about Corbin Bosch. Definitely different to the player I saw in u19 CWC and he has had a spell in Brisbane in between. He looked like medium-pacer at u19 level but now is getting it over 140 and he still has the ability with the bat that Titans mentioned in their contract release.
4) Galiem is another who I think will be similar to Savage in batting will become more important for them. They both have the ability to score 100s. For Galiem he has struggled to transfer his youth bowling to senior level. Pace wise he needs to improve if he wants to continue to bowl a full length & he has stated he is working on getting quicker. He has the skill.
5) The younger Bosch brother looks talented. Things seem to come more easier bowling and batting wise compared to his older brother. Aesthetically better in both. Right now he probably sees himself more of a bowler which is fine but I think he needs to push himself more in both disciplines because has the raw ability to become a serious cricketer.
6) For Phehlukwayo I still think he should be playing more domestic cricket to get stronger to bowl quicker. He looks quite a strong so as I mind-set he also possibly needs to change because I think he can get quicker and bowl a heavy ball and also think time in the middle will bring him on with the bat. He is more capable than we realise with the bat.
7) De Swardt chose cricket over rugby and Titans made sure of it by getting AB to speak to him. Kruger van Wyk spoke of his initial struggles for Tuks out of school but got better and better. Haven't seen him play but I get the idea he isn't quick through the air but is quite skillful while he is capable as a middle order batsmen to score big runs if given the responsibility. I think the Titans see him as the successor to Albie Morkel.

Seamers

Olivier (26) - Knights
Nortje (25) - Warriors
Williams (25) - Cobras
Dupavillon (24) - Dolphins
Mungroo (24) - Dolphins
Rabada (23) - Lions
M.Pretorius (23) - Lions
Burger (23) - Gauteng
Ngidi (22) - Titans
Zuma (22) - Dolphins
Cele (21) - Dolphins
Cohen (20) - Western Province/Cobras
Sipamla (20) - Warriors
Swanepoel (20) - Free State/Knights
Trumpelmann (20) - Northerns/Titans
Coetzee (18) - Free State/Knights
Ntini (18) - Western Province/Cobras
Jones (18) - KZN Inland/Dolphins

Obviously not going to go into lots of detail but its good to see young bowlers coming through not necessarily through the under-age system like Mungroo, M.Pretorius, Burger recently and club cricket can still filter in those that missed the early net. Also seems to be some left-armers coming through like Burger, Cohen & Trumpelmann. We just seem to struggle producing that type.

Skiddy : Williams, Dupavillon, Zuma, Cele, Cohen, Sipamla, Swanepoel.

Olivier has a lot going for him. Quick enough. Can swing the ball. Can hit the pitch when he wants so is quite versatile. Just want the 4-balls to be less and obviously he is front-runner after Steyn/Philander to join KG/Ngidi at this moment.

Apologise for going into so much detail but I suppose you do watch some bowlers and you think they've got it. I thought that when I watched Dupavillon at the beginning. I suppose things have changed so he has it all to do still and it's good that there is competition. Just need opportunity now.
Nah it's good, I appreciate the summary on South African fast bowling stocks, try to keep an eye on the domestic scene over there. South Africa have produced some brilliant fast bowlers over the years, good to see the tradition still going strong. I should probably write something like this about Australian pace bowlers sometime before the season starts.

SeamUp

International Coach
Nah it's good, I appreciate the summary on South African fast bowling stocks, try to keep an eye on the domestic scene over there. South Africa have produced some brilliant fast bowlers over the years, good to see the tradition still going strong. I should probably write something like this about Australian pace bowlers sometime before the season starts.
That would be great.

Was actually going to ask on the Aus donestic thread what the latest is on Henry Thornton so maybe when you do I can see there. A few young names around WA, QLD & Vics in particular that I'm interested to hear about.

SeamUp

International Coach
Domestic schedule finally announced.

Momentum one-day cup in Feb/Mar hoping to have Proteas available for SFs. The domestic franchise T20 is afterwards in Apr/May.

4-day sunfoil series split into 2 Sep-Oct and then Dec-Jan.

Obviously there is hole in November for the T20 series.

Titans, Dolphins open domestic campaign