• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
It's amazing how acclimatizing helps.... wish the teams would start learning this....
So true. Was listening to Botham/Hussain after test ended yesterday and they were stressing the importance of not getting to high and too low. This team needs to go to Sri Lanka and you need 3 'proper' warm-up games and not 12-15 a-side firendly crap.

Nice article with Zubayr Hamza

The Rondebosch Boys' High School, in suburban Cape Town, might be the only school in the world to produce cricketers who have played for four different countries. Gary Kirsten (among others) played for South Africa, Jonathan Trott represented England, Ralph Coetzee turned out for Ireland, while Michael Rippon plays for Netherlands.

They're all similar players, full of grit and skill who more often than not punch above their weight, and this seems to be a trademark of the Rondebosch ethos. Take the 23-year-old Zubayr Hamza for example, one of the youngest members of the South Africa A squad currently touring India, their leading run-scorer on the tour, and a recent alumnus of school.

Three fifties and two hundreds in his last five first-class games for Cape Cobras helped Hamza earn a maiden A-team call-up, and he hasn't disappointed. The right-handed top-order batsman smacked 104 in the warm-up game against India's Board President's XI, followed it up with a second-innings 63 in the first unofficial Test and then capped the series with a 93 in the second. These returns would satisfy most players on their maiden away tour, but not Hamza. Instead, he's always thinking about his own game and yearning for ways to refine his skills.

"Scoring a hundred in the warm-up game, and then getting a third-ball duck on the first innings of the first Test - it just showed me cricket's two opposite spectrums," Hamza said after the penultimate day of the second unofficial Test. "One day may be yours, the other day it may not. In the second innings of the first Test as well, I could've converted into a hundred, so it's the small things mentally, where decisions are made in the moment, that I think I could do better."

One of Hamza's qualities on this tour has been to play positive cricket: with intent, confidence and a clear mind. His shots, to both spin and pace alike, have displayed a certain clear-headedness, and the extra hours at training have helped him achieve that level of zen.

"I worked quite a lot with the batting coaches regarding footwork, playing the ball as late as possible, and kind of respecting the power which a spinner can have in various conditions, Hamza said. "I worked on the simple things - the basics and the strength of my batting. As an individual, you try and learn as much as you can. It's something all batsmen thrive to do, regardless of conditions - to know how to go about executing their game plan.

"For me, it's more about the mindset. One of the toughest challenges in any match - at any level - is to see if I can try and compete at that level. So It's a question I keep asking myself, 'can I compete here?' Russell [Domingo, the coach] and I worked on some subtle changes in my technique, but a lot goes to the mindset of playing at a higher level than usual."

Despite a successful tour on a personal front, Hamza's team is destined for a series loss. After losing the first unofficial Test with just seven balls remaining in Bengaluru, a rain-hit second Test in Alur is unlikely to produce a result. But, South Africa A have dominated multiple spells of play over the last four days, and Hamza puts that down to the team's attitude following the early defeat.

"I think we took the loss quite harsh," Hamza said. "Before coming to India, we were upbeat and positive but getting dominated in the first Test is quite a tough pill to swallow. So, I think for us to have come back, and change our mindset, we had to be positive to come back and try and compete in this game. I think we've done well. It was a collective team decision to forget the previous game, besides the learnings we took from it. We had a good momentum shift on the second day, and we're back in this game, but unfortunately the rains played quite a big part In this fixture."

Next for Hamza, perhaps, is a call-up to the national side - with the senior Test team struggling against spin in subcontinental conditions as seen in their 2-0 loss in Sri Lanka - but the resident of the "Mother City" says he tries to live in the present and prefers working on his own game. As a non-Asian, Hamza understands the importance of batting well in Asia, and knows that acing it abroad holds the key to bigger things in his cricketing career.

"I haven't thought about it at all," Hamza responded on his hopes for a Test call-up. "As I said before, it's about proving to myself whether I can play in this level, which is obviously a step above my usual. I'll take it one step at a time, and I haven't thought about it yet. The pitches obviously don't spin as much at home, but if you want to go forward and think progressively in cricket, then you need to be able to play in subcontinental conditions."

SeamUp

International Coach
Just thinking a lot of our young players are getting good early exposure in the sub-continent through SA u19 and emerging tours and batting camps which is a positive.

De Zorzi - Bangladesh x 2 , Sri Lanka , India
Rickelton - Bangladesh, Sri Lanka
Hamza - Sri Lanka, India
Mulder - Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, India
Breetzke - Sri Lanka
Van Tonder - Sri Lanka X2
Makwetu - Bangladesh, Sri Lanka

Considering they have been playing Sri Lanka A with test players in it for the Emerging tour they have done well.

Breetzke 250 @ 41.66
De Zorzi 235 @ 39.16
Rickelton 217 @ 36.16
Van Tonder 107 @ 35.66

SeamUp

International Coach
This is something new. Sure we will see these guys in Africa T20 Cup.

SA U-19 stars awarded senior provincial and franchise contracts ahead of 2018/19 season

CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA (CSA) today announced a new initiative to retain its identified talent from its youth structures for a period until they are taken up within the Senior Provincial or Franchise structures.

“A number of our under-19 players have already been awarded franchise or senior provincial contracts,” commented Corrie van Zyl, CSA General Manager: Cricket. “Two players in point are Wandile Makwetu and Sinethemba Qeshile who have already been contracted to the Multiply Titans and the Warriors respectively.

“But it is important that we have regulations in place to keep the talent, in which we have invested a great deal of our resources within the system, available for the next level of our talent pipeline such as the SA Emerging Squad, South Africa A and eventually the Standard Bank Proteas in the long-term.

“All players, who are chosen to represent South Africa at under-19 level, are required to sign retention contracts which remain in place until they are superseded by senior provincial or franchise contracts. The seven players listed below are those who have now moved on from CSA under-19 contracts to franchise or senior provincial contracts,” concluded Van Zyl.

“It is a great achievement for these boys,” said CSA Chief Executive Thabang Moroe. “They have shown their immense talent during the tour to England last month and with our strategy of retaining talent in mind we wanted to recognize their importance and safeguard their development at this crucial period of their careers. This will motivate the players to stay focused on their game while ensuring that South African cricket keeps hold of the best young players within our structures.”

CSA South Africa Under-19 contracted players who have now been awarded senior provincial or franchise contracts: Jade de Klerk (Eastern Province), Jean du Plessis (South Western District), Wandile Makwetu (Multiply Titans), Kgaudise Molefe (Gauteng), Jason Niemand (Border), Thando Ntini (Western Province), Sinethemba Qeshile (Warriors)

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Heard some good things so first proper sight of Jono Bird. I know Andrew Puttick already putting back into the game and was doing work with him before the tour.

Batting wise
1998s are very good : Breetzke, van Tonder, Mulder
1999s decent : Pillay, Makwetu, Qeshile

But 2000s look like a quiet year for young batsmen in SA so next up 2001 Jono Bird.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Would have been nice to see some SA A 50-over performances but both first & second round of fixtures abandoned without a ball bowled.

SeamUp

International Coach
Amla & Miller already played their first Carribean T20 games. Imran Tahir there already. van der Dussen after a good Canada T20 was signed and joins after SA A duty.

Parnell & Steyn are currently in action in their county stints. After SA and SA A involvements Elgar & Olivier haven't returned to Surrey & Derbyshire yet. CSA also pulled de Kock from his Notts deal.

Obviously all the Kolpaks are carrying on but an interesting one who moved to Northants due to Portuguese roots Ricardo Vasconcelos seems to be making an impression.

SeamUp

International Coach
Interesting to see how Neil Brand gets on. Schooled in England but Kruger van Wyk got him to come back to SA and won Club Champs Player of Tournament and seems to be liked a lot. Kruger van Wyk basically said Franchises should be looking at him for the last batch of contracts.

Looks nice and compact. Love a good forward defence and drive.

https://twitter.com/TCACoaching/status/1031799286651084800

I'm sure we will see him in Africa T20 Cup for Northerns.

Tuks contingent not franchise contracted like de Zorzi and Makwetu are.

Neil Brand
Jiveshan Pillay ( Former SA u19 & Emerging)
Mitchell van Buuren (Former SA u19)
Thomas Kaber (actually think he graduated a few months ago and having a great club season in England)
Rubin Hermann (wk)
Ruan de Swardt (Former SA u19)
Curtis Campher (In SA u19 squad that toured England)
Gideon Peters (In SA u19 squad that toured England)
Ruben Trumpelmann

Some of the older Tuks grads professionally contracted or who have been and retired : Markram (Titans), Du Plessis (Titans), De Villiers, De Bruyn (Titans), Klaasen (Titans), M.Morkel, A.Morkel (Titans), Ngidi (Titans), Harris, D.Pretorius (Lions), de Lange (Knights), Wagner, K.van Wyk, C.Bosch (Titans), M.Pretorius (Lions), Agathangelou (Titans)

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Just on the Tuks, Northerns , Titans pathway above.

Actually thought I would look up who is contracted by Northerns

Northerns Cricket Union | Little Titans

https://www.pressreader.com/south-africa/daily-dispatch/20180726/281479277210409

It seems like it has changed from 6 semi-pro contracted to 11 this season and they have 10.

Gionne Koopman (27) - signed from Border/Warriors
Bafana Mahlangu (28)
Leus Du Plooy (23) - returns home from Free State/Knights
Mitchell van Buuren (20)
Diego Rosier (24) - signed from Free State/Knights
Rubin Hermann (21)
Ruan de Swart (20)
Gregory Mahlokwane (24)
Ruben Trumpelmann (20)
Luvuyo Nkese (21)

Obviously lost Migael Pretorius left to join the Lions so the 11th player they will look to sign is probably a quick bowler. Obviously Titans contracted players also fall down.

But the massive surprise is Neil Brand (22) & Jiveshan Pillay (19) not on semi-pro contracts. Also last years captain Thomas Kaber (26) who is pictured in Northerns gear in the contract squad link above. I wonder what that means for them.

Thomas Kaber was signed for the Global T20 and was captain of Northerns but is his batting & chinamens good enough for the higher level (they may be taking a calculated risk).
Brand was SA Club Player of the Year. Scored runs in all the finals.
Pillay was SA u19 and quickly into the SA Emerging squad.

* I mentioned Brand above because he has come from nowhere. Just a quote on his season last year.

Neil moved to TUKS in January and was made Captain, he was the leading run scorer at the T20 Varsity Cup, Player of the Tournament and Man of the Match in the final scoring 59* and taking 2/20. TUKS won the Premier League and attended National Club Champs where Neil was once again the leading run scorer, Man of the Match in the final scoring 120 and named Cricket South Africa Club Cricketer of the Year. TUKS also won the T20 Super Cup Final in which Neil was named Man of the Match. He made his First Class debut for Northerns and achieved all of this in half a season. We’ve been fortunate to work with Neil since he was U14.

You look at the Titans squad. I would maybe say they looking to the future a bit. They have 8 CSA contracted players + AB who says he will be available for the Titans. Then in the squad there is Heino Kuhn (34) , Farhaan Behardien (35), Henry Davids (38), Albie Morkel (37) as the senior core to bring players through with the Internationals away and then there is also Vandiar and Thomson who hang on to Titans contracts as they were probably initially given multi-year deals.

On the other Semi-pro contracts the Border one is above and it mentions other movements. I've seen the WP one but I don't think there is a massive group like there has been in the past to monitor. Mainly younger players now I would say.

WESTERN PROVINCE
Junaid Dawood - 22 year-old leg-spinner
Michael Cohen - 20 year-old left-arm quick bowler

KZN COASTAL
Marques Ackerman - 22 year-old attacking batsmen
Jason Oakes - 23 year-old keeper
KZN INLAND
Grant Roelofsen - 22 year-old top order wk/batsmen
* Reckon these 3 are in line for replacing Morne van Wyk, Vaughn van Jaarsveld & Dane Vilas at Dolphins. Ackerman (North West) & Roelofsen (Gauteng) left for the coast last winter and had their first seasons last season.

FREE STATE
Beyers Swanepoel - 20 year-old strike bowler who can bat & like Duanne Olivier signed right out school by Free State from Northerns. FS Rookie of the Year.
Sean Whitehead - 21 year-old former SA u19 spinner who was FS Academy player of the year. Working with Nicky Boj will be good.

CENTRAL GAUTENG
Muhammed Mayet - 20 year-old free-flowing former SA u19 batsmen
Nandre Burger - 23 year-old left-arm quick who was Gauteng bowler of the year and off a very good SA Emerging Tour.

Then its the recent SA U19 and current schoolboys.

Jade de Klerk - Eeastern Province
Jason Niemand - Border
Jean Du Plessis - SWD

Thando Ntini - Western Province
Kgaudise Molefe - Gauteng
Gerald Coetzee - Free State
Fraser Jones - KZN Inland
Jono Bird - Western Province

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Quadrangular finally under-way this morning SA A 164/7 v India B

Second (wk), Cloete, de Bruyn, Zondo (c), Behardien, Muthusamy, D.Pretorius, Magala, Siboto, Paterson, Shamsi
Reserve : P.Malan, Bavuma, Frylinck, B.Hendricks

Behardien with 43 & Muthusamy with 55

SeamUp

International Coach
Nothing new. Just there was no official release of Knights contracted squad bar an early newspaper report of 16 players. They signed Qwabe from Boland to make 17. This was announced at their awards ceremony last night. Pite van Biljon is their new captain.

The Knights had their annual awards ceremony on Wednesday night at Tuscan Rose, in Bloemfontein.

Duanne Olivier, in absentia, won the big award as he was announced as the Knights' most valuable player. Rudi Second, also in absentia, celebrated one of the most successful seasons of his career by taking two awards home, the Sunfoil 4-Day Series Player of the year and Knights Player’s player of the year.

Young Patrick Kruger also walked away with two awards as he was announced as the One Day Cup Player of the Year and winner of the Knights Fans Choice Award.

This year the Knights introduced a new category, Knights Fans Choice Award. Fans sent in names of their players of the year and a fan with best motivation was selected to join the awards ceremony. This year’s winner was Shaheed George from Kimberley. Shaheed and a partner of his choice were brought to Bloemfontein and booked accommodation for the night, all expenses paid. Shaheed even had the honour to present the award to the player of his choice, Patrick Kruger.

Other winners of the night were David Miller (T20 Player of the year) and Mbulelo Budaza (Knights Most Improved Player of the Year).

Knights 2018/2019 squad:

Pite van Biljon (captain), Ottneil Baartman, Mbulelo Budaza, Corne Dry, Andries Gous, Eddie Leie, Ryan Mclaren, Patrick Kruger, Luthando Mnyanda, Grant Mokoena, Tshepo Ntuli, Duanne Olivier, Keegan Petersen, Zakhele Qwabe, Rudi Second, Shadley van Schalkwyk and Raynard van Tonder.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Easy win for India B. South Africa A just as poorly selected as the four-day team. Where is Maharaj, Mulder, Phehlukwayo, Klaasen and Markram? Siboto was released by the Titans, doesn’t have a franchise contract (?), gets selected for the A team and bowls 2 overs.
Australia A also got well beat by India A but they selected a good team and a number of them will be in the WC 15. Likes of Magala, Siboto, and Cloete would struggle to feature in a 30-man squad.

SeamUp

International Coach
TT Boy

Because modern day cricketers go to the Seychelles for pre-season now :D

They also model kits now for the new season too lol

Borges

International Regular
Australia A also got well beat by India A but they selected a good team and a number of them will be in the WC 15.
The Australia A opening bowlers, Stanlake and Jhye Richardson were impressive: bowled hostile first spells; with good pace and good bounce.
They lost the game because their batting was a disaster, on a wicket that had more for the quicks than for the spinnners.