• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
Klaasen signed by Bangalore.

Steyn unsold. Yassss

Nortje & Hardus Viljoen the final Saffers signed. Going to KKR & KXI respectively.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Obviously Titans squad more complex. Test players de Kock and Steyn not needing a FC match to warm-up. Ngidi injured.
No Agathangelou, de Zorzi, von Berg, Hawken. Moonsamy in SA Inv Side.
But good to see Corbin Bosch playing even though likely to carry the drinks and from no where a fast-bowler named Itumeleng Moseki

Titans squad to face Knights (from): Heinrich Klaasen (Capt), Farhaan Behardien, Corbin Bosch, Junior Dala, Francois du Plessis, Dean Elgar, Aiden Markram, Tshepo Moreki, Itumeleng Moseki, Chris Morris, Alfred Mothoa, Tabraiz Shamsi, Jonathan Vandiar.
Titans back in red-ball mode
TITANS CRICKET TEAM·TUESDAY, 18 DECEMBER 2018

There has been very little time for the Multiply Titans to switch mindsets from the historic Mzansi Super League (MSL) and back into red-ball mode, but that is what they have to do.

A trip to Bloemfontein sees the defending four-day champions back in action from Wednesday, against a strong Knights outfit.

Senior batsman Dean Elgar also took part in the MSL, and says it was a great experience - even if results didn't go the way of the Tshwane Spartans.

"Taking part in the tournament was quite enjoyable, even though a lot of results didn't go our way. It was nice to be part of a new competition, with players from around the country and from overseas," Elgar reflected.

Several of the Titans players had the weekend off, though a few contested the MSL final on Sunday. For players like Farhaan Behardien, who captained the Cape Town Blitz, there has been little time to catch a breather.

"We have obviously strengthened quite a lot from the first part of the four-day campaign, and we have a few players who have been successful in the MSL," Elgar said with encouragement.

The Titans made a very slow start to their four-day defence, and they now have a lot to do. Their first game of the second round is no walk over, either, as the Knights are always a tough nut to crack.

"It is always quite competitive against the Knights. They are a dangerous side, and quite a few of their players will be raring to go because they rested during the MSL," Elgar warned.

However, the Titans are focussing more on what they need to do.

"We didn't have a very good start to campaign, but saying that, the teams still very close to each other. There is still a lot to play for, but we need to start well," he said of their early struggles in matches.

"It is important to gain momentum going forward. We've identified areas we haven't done well in during the first half," he added.

With another short turnaround from the latest round of the Four-Day Franchise Series into the Test season, Elgar wants to utilise the next few days as well as possible.

“I need time in the middle with bat in hand, but also some time out in the field. But not too much!," he joked.

"Obviously I would like to score big, and try to contribute for the Titans, but this is also about getting back to basics. T20 cricket doesn't give you a lot of time, but now you can play the ball as late as possible."

For Elgar, as well as several Test teammates, it will be a welcome change to be seeing red this week.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
U19 COKE WEEK DAY 4 - 50 OVERS

Two unbeaten sides left are WP & Boland but they face each other in the SF today with Gauteng & Northerns in the other SF.

Fixtures - Day 4 (Limited Overs) 09:30 Start
Western Province vs Boland Rondebosch
Gauteng vs Northerns Bishops A
Free State vs SWD Wynberg Boys
Eastern Province vs Easterns Bishops N
KZN Inland vs Mpumalanga Vineyard
Namibia vs KwaZulu-Natal UWC
Northern Cape vs North West Victoria
Limpopo vs Border Brackenfell

SeamUp

International Coach
Nicky Boje has left the Knights unfortunately. Assistant Alan Kruger has taken over for the time being.

SeamUp

International Coach
Good to see this innings from Lucky. He has the potential but needs to do it repetitively at this level to grow his game.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
Good to see this innings from Lucky. He has the potential but needs to do it repetively at this level to grow his game.
This is the sort of innings I've been hoping for him, although he does need to go on now that he's made 50. He was fast tracked into the national side, which I think has hampered his development a bit, especially as a batsman.

And that Cobras scorecard makes for sorry reading. Paterson and Bokako did a bit at the end, but they never should have been bundled out for that score after a century opening partnership.

SeamUp

International Coach
This is the sort of innings I've been hoping for him, although he does need to go on now that he's made 50. He was fast tracked into the national side, which I think has hampered his development a bit, especially as a batsman.

And that Cobras scorecard makes for sorry reading. Paterson and Bokako did a bit at the end, but they never should have been bundled out for that score after a century opening partnership.
Out for 59 but its a good start back. He should play the rest of the 4 day series so want to see at least 1 100.

Extremely disappointed with the Cobras collapse. In Moore/Cloete/Ackermann Warriors have some batsmen in serious form too.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Came to find out what an Itumeleng Moseki was... Guess Siboto and Dala not fit? Olivier showing some form dismissing both Proteas openers...

SeamUp

International Coach
Came to find out what an Itumeleng Moseki was... Guess Siboto and Dala not fit? Olivier showing some form dismissing both Proteas openers...
Dala's form and actual results with the red ball have not been good enough. I think they have finally realised he is a white ball bowler.

Siboto was dropped by Lions in 4 day cricket already.

Haven't seen Moseki but he performed in his first Northerns game a few weeks ago and I noticed him as a new name. Quite old at 27 but played Northerns u19 but most recent playing for Uni of Joburg.

SeamUp

International Coach
With all the talk about the batting depth. I think the below represent what we should ideally be looking from and we have seen Hamza/Mulder in our test squads along with de Bruyn/QdK/Markram being regulars. From the older group available you probably have to say vd Dussen is the most in form option in the category born before 1992. Zondo got a hundred today & P.Malan has been scoring runs all season but he is an opener. Probably Rudi Second would be another option after being the best batsman on the SA A tour to India.

Born & where did they grow up learning their batsmanship

Gihahn Cloete (Inland)
Theunis de Bruyn (Highveld)
Quinton de Kock (Highveld)

Edward Moore (Coastal)

Aiden Markram (Highveld)
Senuran Muthusamy (Coastal)
David Bedingham (Coastal)
Jason Smith (Coastal)

Zubayr Hamza (Coastal)

Janneman Malan (Highveld)
Ryan Rickelton (Highveld)
Grant Roelofsen (Highveld)
Marques Ackerman (Highveld)

Tony de Zorzi (Highveld)
Kyle Verreynne (Coastal)

Josh Richards (Highveld)
Matthew Breetzke (Coastal)
Raynard van Tonder (Inland)
Wiaan Mulder (Highveld)

Sinethemba Qeshile (Coastal)

Last edited:

GRAB

First Class Debutant
List seems pretty comprehensive.

De Zorzi, in longer formats especially, has had a lot of opportunities but realised very little. One score above 50 in 21 innings means the Titans will be losing patience soon... It hasn't helped that he is been yo-yoing up and down the order of course... Feels a lot like how Makhanya's career has been going. Occasional flashes of something, but mostly just looks out of his depth (at least in the l/o games I've seen, not sure about the 4-day, but 4 50's in 40 innings batting mostly in the top 6 is not promising.

Another batsman who really hasn't made good on his schoolboy exploits is Clyde Fortuin. From what I gather, he made mountains and mountains of runs (the like last seen by a young Kallis) at that level, but he has barely survived in the Warriors set-up thanks to his keeping. He's still only 23, so maybe things will "click" at some point, but it's looking unlikely.

Andries Gous (1993) is maybe on the edge of the list as another late bloomer.

SeamUp

International Coach
List seems pretty comprehensive.

De Zorzi, in longer formats especially, has had a lot of opportunities but realised very little. One score above 50 in 21 innings means the Titans will be losing patience soon... It hasn't helped that he is been yo-yoing up and down the order of course... Feels a lot like how Makhanya's career has been going. Occasional flashes of something, but mostly just looks out of his depth (at least in the l/o games I've seen, not sure about the 4-day, but 4 50's in 40 innings batting mostly in the top 6 is not promising.

Another batsman who really hasn't made good on his schoolboy exploits is Clyde Fortuin. From what I gather, he made mountains and mountains of runs (the like last seen by a young Kallis) at that level, but he has barely survived in the Warriors set-up thanks to his keeping. He's still only 23, so maybe things will "click" at some point, but it's looking unlikely.

Andries Gous (1993) is maybe on the edge of the list as another late bloomer.
That's one of the arbitrary things about the game. You watch de Zorzi bat and you wonder why he hasn't been more consistent or just had more meaningful innings. I still think there is time for him though and because from watching him you can still feel the potential. Compared to say Makhanya who you can see isn't of the required level & won't be. His aim is to try hold a franchise spot at best.

Breetzke is another they clearly fancy and he use to eat , sleep, drink 100s as a boy/teenager but you wonder for someone like him & van Tonder coming from weaker unions didn't get the opportunity to play men at 16,17,18 as the club systems aren't so strong there. So time to adapt may take a bit longer than expected/hoped.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Lions were in control against the Dolphins and now they staring down the barrell.

Dolphins certainly looking for Lions to help their depth. VVJ, Roelofsen, Dudgeon all Joburgers and so are Vilas & M.Ackerman.

Dendarii

International Debutant
41 for Qeshile. It's obviously very early in his career, but he doesn't seem to be out of place at franchise level, and the next step for him is to turn one of those fifties he's shown he can score into a century.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I do think being a batsmen in SA has turned into a difficult prospect. Don't often see big scores, we have some good bowlers running around and the variations and difficulties of the pitches are pretty obvious. It will be nice to see this play out in the future as tough hard minded quality batsmen for the international setup.