• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa Tour of Sri Lanka 2018

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Can't help feeling that Gibson was right and Faf is wrong: should have played Ngidi instead of Philander.
I suppose Faf didn't like the look of that tail if Ngidi played.
Can you please show me the quote where Gibson wanted to play Ngidi over Philander.....I must have missed that.

(Evidence please!)

Mr Miyagi

Banned
5 batsmen, 2 spinners and 3 quicks?

SA has this wrong imo. SA may well win, and congrats if they do, but this balance is not good with Philander at 7 and Maharaj at 8.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
SA will be keen to nip out Dimuth before lunch.

He proved in the UAE late last year that he can bat serious time, if SL push their first innings even beyond 3 sessions it make it tough for the saffers - a batsman short and facing 3 spinners on a dustbowl

Mr Miyagi

Banned
SA will be keen to nip out Dimuth before lunch.

He proved in the UAE late last year that he can bat serious time, if SL push their first innings even beyond 3 sessions it make it tough for the saffers - a batsman short and facing 3 spinners on a dustbowl

Yeah. Odd selection.

Philander will probably score twin 50's now.

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
Can you please show me the quote where Gibson wanted to play Ngidi over Philander.....I must have missed that.

(Evidence please!)
He didn't go right out and say Ngidi over Philander; he talked about needing extra pace in Sri Lanka and bowling three quicks in short spells.
Can't locate that clip right now; will post a link if I find it. (No evidence, so you may assume that I was fibbing.)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
He didn't go right out and say Ngidi over Philander; he talked about needing extra pace in Sri Lanka and bowling three quicks in short spells.
Can't locate that clip right now; will post a link if I find it. (No evidence, so you may assume that I was fibbing.)
No, I don't assume you are fibbing, there was never a question of Ngidi playing over Philander is really my point; you may have read into his comments but I can promise that dropping Philander was never a consideration; I think that Steyn and Rabada can probably manage the extra pace part of the attack.

Stefan9

International Debutant
And where do you get with 3 quicks he wasn't referring to philander, steyn and kg..

Borges

International Regular
And where do you get with 3 quicks he wasn't referring to philander, steyn and kg..
He specifically mentioned Steyn (back to fitness, reverse swing), Rabada (adapt to any pitch) ang Ngidi (quick), and he didn't talk much about Philander.

Borges

International Regular
Why is Maharaj taken off after the last ball of his last over? EDIT: Ok, change of ends.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
This saffer side needs Big Vern as much for his batting as anything else. Rabada, Steyn, Shamsi and Ngidi would be an absurdly long tail

Mr Miyagi

Banned
This saffer side needs Big Vern as much for his batting as anything else. Rabada, Steyn, Shamsi and Ngidi would be an absurdly long tail
Yeah, agreed, but it is still a long tail.

Where's Clive Rice, Mike Procter or Eddie Barlow when you need them? Even S Pollock.

Seriously SAfrica, sort it out already.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
He specifically mentioned Steyn (back to fitness, reverse swing), Rabada (adapt to any pitch) ang Ngidi (quick), and he didn't talk much about Philander.
He was talking about the fast bowling depth not that Philander was not gonna play.

Borges

International Regular
Superbly bowled.
This is already looking like a huge toss to have won; bigger that a typical Galle toss.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Superbly bowled.
This is already looking like a huge toss to have won; bigger that a typical Galle toss.
Yeah thinking this test might be the inverse of the 2014 test that SA won batting first last tour, except Phatty will take 10fer instead of Lakmal lol

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steyn was apparently holding his shoulder when he walked off. It's the most repetitive and predictable nightmare ever.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Steyn was apparently holding his shoulder when he walked off. It's the most repetitive and predictable nightmare ever.
Considering the number of overs his bowled in County and the tour game it would be unfortunate that the injury happened during the test match... hopefully not, he wasn't bowling at the time or anything.