• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think whatever ball you've got your in trouble if they have wickets in hand with 15 overs to go.

Might be reading a little to far into it but I really expected SA to run over this attack.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TBF, it has potential. Umar Gul is a very good ODI bowler, while Rao Iftikhar and Sohail Tanvir can be very effective. Abdur Rehman I rate highly, and Shahid Afridi has been bowling quite well as of late. Looks average on paper, just need to read a little more into it ;)

EDIT: Malik is tidy too.

Athlai

Not Terrible
TBF, it has potential. Umar Gul is a very good ODI bowler, while Rao Iftikhar and Sohail Tanvir can be very effective. Abdur Rehman I rate highly, and Shahid Afridi has been bowling quite well as of late. Looks average on paper, just need to read a little more into it ;)

EDIT: Malik is tidy too.
Tanvir has a weird action but I can see him getting exposed a little in the longer shorter version of the game. ;)

Rehman and Afridi have been playing well lately and are probably quite underrated. Gul is a gun half the time while the other half he gets hit.

Never rated Ifikhar but he's being proving me wrong.

It's still not the best attack in the world by a long way, not even the best Pakistan could be fielding IMO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Can't let Afridi run away here. (He'll end up opening more often. :blink: )

But TBH it's not that bad a move, Afridi up the order in T20 would be great he can take the game away from the bowler, maybe it's best to have him on when the field is in.

The_Bunny

State Regular
SA pulling things back.
Still in Pakistans favor for mine but since the Afridi dismissal things have slowed right back down.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Agh hate Graeme Smith's captaincy. Dead set. South Africa need wickets to win the game, Pakistan need four and a half runs an over. What does Smith do? Spread the field, bring in Botha to bowl around the wicket. The crowd cheered in delight too when they saw what a nonsense move Smith had just made.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
Tanvir has a weird action but I can see him getting exposed a little in the longer shorter version of the game. ;)

Rehman and Afridi have been playing well lately and are probably quite underrated. Gul is a gun half the time while the other half he gets hit.

It's still not the best attack in the world by a long way, not even the best Pakistan could be fielding IMO.
Clearly not the best bowling attack we could field, but all of them besides Tanvir have proven that they can be effective ODI bowlers in their individual roles. Clearly lacking the strike capability of Shoaib though, and Asif's new ball nous is missed as well. But this attack is very capable of restricting, especially on a pitch like this one with something in it for the bowlers.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Good win for Pakistan. Hope they don't go for Afridi as a long term option for opener. :no:

I think he actually makes it harder for our other opener to play their natural game, as could be evidenced by Hameed today. Butt also struggled when opening along side him. Hard to play one's natural game when the guy across from you could throw away his wicket at any time.

Last edited:

haroon510

International 12th Man
Clearly not the best bowling attack we could field, but all of them besides Tanvir have proven that they can be effective ODI bowlers in their individual roles. Clearly lacking the strike capability of Shoaib though, and Asif's new ball nous is missed as well. But this attack is very capable of restricting, especially on a pitch like this one with something in it for the bowlers.
pakistan should play tanveer in twenty 20 and odi matches for asif only. asif should be kept only for test matches.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Don't u guys think it is time to make Afridi vice captain?.considering that butt can't keep his place in the team..

i think if he is given vice captaincy.. he would play with responsibillty and such result comes out of playing with responsibilty.

shortpitched713

International Captain
pakistan should play tanveer in twenty 20 and odi matches for asif only. asif should be kept only for test matches.
I could care less if he played twenty20 matches, but I think that Asif can be an excellent ODI bowler, probably one of our best right now and certainly is a better bowler than Tanvir.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Don't u guys think it is time to make Afridi vice captain?.considering that butt can't keep his place in the team..

i think if he is given vice captaincy.. he would play with responsibillty and such result comes out of playing with responsibilty.
Frankly I think its a travesty that Butt hasn't gotten a game in any of the ODIs so far, and his Test form should have nothing to do with the decision to keep him in the team.

Afridi as vice-captain would be interesting, but I don't think hes done anything yet to demonstrate that he deserves the honor, and has done much to demonstrate that he doesn't.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Awesomeness from Afridi.

Don't like him, but will always appreciate his uniqueness as a cricketer.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I just think of Afridi as a lower order slogger, as that's what he is in reality, regardless of where he bats. He is a better bowler than a batsman though. Good effort.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain

Add Akhtar and Asif to the squad and you will have a very very good bowling lineup, won't still be best (as i believe Aus still has the best one) but it will highly effective.

I think Tanveer will lose his place to Akhtar, Gul is a must in Pak lineup for onedayer, as such Asif can only replace Anjum.I'm not sure if Anjum should be discarded from onedayer, Anjum is a wonderful OD bowler, while Asif has often struggled in Onedayer.I would probably go for Anjum,Ankhtar,Gul,Rehman and Afridi.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Hell no.