• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It's an Indian thing

Cricket fan says the pitch is poor and he/she is disappointed that the match will be a let down

Indian fan takes it as a personal insult and feigns indignation

Indian fan is then exasperated when team cant replicate same results overseas and trolls players

Wash/rinse/recycle
I won't say it's a particularly Indian thing.

I think Aussie fans would react in the exact same way if people suggested one of their test series wins was due to pitch doctoring.

In fact, during the first two test matches in Australia, when I suggested that the pitches were too flat and made for 'boring cricket' after everyone and their long lost cousin said the exact same thing about the first UAE test, I was told to go back to Pakpassion by Gob. :laugh:

It's simple, fans want to feel happy about a win, and want to give credit to the quality of their players. Any suggestion that a victory came not because of quality of their players but due to 'pitch doctoring' is going to rile up people..whether Indian or not.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I think Aussie fans would react in the exact same way if people suggested one of their test series wins was due to pitch doctoring.

In fact, during the first two test matches in Australia, when I suggested that the pitches were too flat and made for 'boring cricket' after everyone and their long lost cousin said the exact same thing about the first UAE test, I was told to go back to Pakpassion by Gob. :laugh:

It's simple, fans want to feel happy about a win, and want to give credit to the quality of their players. Any suggestion that a victory came not because of quality of their players but due to 'pitch doctoring' is going to rile up people..whether Indian or not.
Yes. But it's also because most of the criticism has been completely stupid. Ffs, stphndbsn, Daemon and even I myself criticized certain aspects of this pitch but our reasons were atleast understandable. Most of the other comments like "The toss decided the match", "They haven't made runs so the pitch is **** ", etc are stupid and show a complete lack of understanding of what has happened in this match. None of us have reacted angrily to reasonable criticism, which was put forward before other dumb ****s entered this thread. Stupidity though, is worthy of the scorn it has rightfully received in this thread.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Most of the other comments like "The toss decided the match", "They haven't made runs so the pitch is **** " .. is worthy of the scorn.
This simply isn't true. Instead of understanding what the people are saying, you guys were quick to dumb down the arguments given.

Last edited:

Heboric

International Debutant
Every country doctors their pitches to suit there player. Every single one.
Well a lot of pitches I have seen gave a fair shot to both teams whether you win the toss or not (Barring maybe England in May). Thats the difference

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Did watch. I refuse to accept I am wrong and you refuse to accept you are wrong. Only one 'group' is attacking others though. You are just taking your opinion as absolute truth. A lot of former players have also criticised the pitch. Do you question their ability to read the game too? People are bound to have different views. If we were all to have the same view, it would be quite boring.
Excuse me for a minute while I look up alternative definitions of the word "pathetic" that you so graciously attributed to those who don't share your opinion. You must have obviously intended an obscure definition of the word to compliment "us Indians".

Diversity of opinion is a wonderful thing when there is no black or white. Unfortunately people tend to be reluctant to extend the favour to obstinate fools who refuse to acknowledge gray from the get go.

Heboric

International Debutant
I frankly cant understand how people are ignoring the advantage of the toss. It is not rocket science, the team batting when the pitch is obviously at its "easist". Or were people running on the pitch before the match to create footmarks ...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Very different as Oz are somehow ahead despite the GABBA & WACA pitches being roads and making for dreary cricket

In fact, Channel 9 went out of their way today to point out that the average score for teams batting first is more than 500 in the last 6 tests in Australia, how it is unprecedented in test history and why it is bad for the game

Anyone with any knowledge of the game still remembers us being bowled out for 60, aren't being fooled by the run glut and 9 knows this

Stand by for more sporting wickets and genuine cricket fans will support it win, lose or draw

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, i respect his honestly rather than the chick**** way most countries do it.

Remember Warne moaning about our pitches during 2010/11 Ashes, and Atherton reminding him that Adelaide used to be a dustbowl day 4/5 when he played but is now suspiciously flat since their ATG leggie retired.
Adelaide is a drop-in so moot point

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Excuse me for a minute while I look up alternative definitions of the word "pathetic" that you so graciously attributed to those who don't share your opinion. You must have obviously intended an obscure definition of the word to compliment "us Indians".

Diversity of opinion is a wonderful thing when there is no black or white. Unfortunately people tend to be reluctant to extend the favour to obstinate fools who refuse to acknowledge gray from the get go.
Your debating skills are poor here.

A) We disagreed with each other.
B) You start calling people who disagreed with you 'caught with their pants down' etc.
C) I said B is pathetic. I am fine with you having a completely different view as long as you can debate in a civil manner. If you can't, obviously that's pathetic.

I also think there is no black and white here. According to me the pitch was poor. I am not calling you an obstinate fool though.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Your debating skills are poor here.

A) We disagreed with each other.
B) You start calling people who disagreed with you 'caught with their pants down' etc.
C) I said B is pathetic. I am fine with you having a completely different view as long as you can debate in a civil manner. If you can't, obviously that's pathetic.

I also think there is no black and white here. According to me the pitch was poor. I am not calling you an obstinate fool though.
You couldn't call me an obstinate fool if you were so inclined, Pratters, because unlike you I haven't been making dozens of posts (or the same post dozens of times, more like) on the topic of the pitch in the face of repeatedly being shown how hollow those arguments are.

cnerd123

likes this
I frankly cant understand how people are ignoring the advantage of the toss. It is not rocket science, the team batting when the pitch is obviously at its "easist". Or were people running on the pitch before the match to create footmarks ...
Except in this game the pitch behaved exactly the same way from the first ball to the last. So the toss isn't to blame.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You couldn't call me an obstinate fool if you were so inclined, Pratters, because unlike you I haven't been making dozens of posts (or the same post dozens of times, more like) on the topic of the pitch in the face of repeatedly being shown how hollow those arguments are.
You have argued over a fair few posts yesterday actually. You think you are right, I think I am right. Only difference is you are wahhing when I disagree with you.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Very different as Oz are somehow ahead despite the GABBA & WACA pitches being roads and making for dreary cricket

In fact, Channel 9 went out of their way today to point out that the average score for teams batting first is more than 500 in the last 6 tests in Australia, how it is unprecedented in test history and why it is bad for the game

Anyone with any knowledge of the game still remembers us being bowled out for 60, aren't being fooled by the run glut and 9 knows this

Stand by for more sporting wickets and genuine cricket fans will support it win, lose or draw
If I am being cynical, I would probably put Channel 9's criticism of these pitches down to New Zealand matching Australia's score in the second test and scoring 600 plus. Had they folded like they did in the first test and Australia were 2-0, I doubt we would see these conversations because this has been the narrative for most of Australia's home wins over the last few years.
Win the toss, bat first, get 400-500 plus,
Bowl out opposition for <220
Then get a quickfire 250,
Bowl out opposition for another 200-250 runs and win by over 200 run margin.

Clearly winning the toss provides an incredible advantage to teams batting first. The only times when Australia haven't managed to pull it off were when Kohli or Williamson played out of their skins to match the score.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You know I doubt South Africa would have scored much more than 79 had they batted first.