• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in England 2012

Psycho Macaque

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
England's advantage is batting because, of the South African bowling, plus they need it more. South Africa have the edge because, they can face the England bowling and need to get into the groove.
Have you got NickKnightis? Or drunk? That'd be good. I mean, it'd be good if you're drunk, like. For you, I mean. Good for you that you're drunk.

Psycho Macaque

Hmmm, the two best bowling attacks in the world against two sides that're prone to the odd collapse - and it'll be a batting game? You, sir, have compounded my drunk claim :D

screamingfields

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hmmm, the two best bowling attacks in the world against two sides that're prone to the odd collapse - and it'll be a batting game? You, sir, have compounded my drunk claim :D
So it'll be a low scoring affair? (Both sides have good bowling, that is why it'll be a batting game, whichever has the highest score wins).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Let's just say it'll be a batting game?
:wallbash:

You're deriving that from very confused ideas; you already basically said that England have the advantage in batting because their bowling is better than South Africa's. That's not a batting advantage; that's a bowling advantage that may result in you scoring more runs that opposition (or if you actually look at properly - it may result in you bowling the opposition out for less than you score yourself). Your definition of "batting advantage" seems to be the same as everyone's else definition of "better team", as it factors in the strength of the bowling attacks, so the conclusion you were stumbling around in your earlier posts was that these two teams would in fact be playing cricket. Cheers for the insight.

What we have in the two best bowling attacks in the world, and two good but not brilliant batting lineups that have been prone to collapse in recent times. Why you think that means it'll "batting vs batting" is beyond me.

Psycho Macaque

So it'll be a low scoring affair? (Both sides have good bowling, that is why it'll be a batting game, whichever has the highest score wins).
:D Hmmm, fuzzy logic there but I see where you're coming from. The general phrase for a series dominated by bowling would be 'a bowling game' ;)

But anyway, yeah, I reckon tons could be at a premium (unless that yellow disc in the sky makes its bi-yearly appearance)

screamingfields

School Boy/Girl Captain
:wallbash:

You're deriving that from very confused ideas; you already basically said that England have the advantage in batting because their bowling is better than South Africa's. That's not a batting advantage; that's a bowling advantage that may result in you scoring more runs that opposition (or if you actually look at properly - it may result in you bowling the opposition out for less than you score yourself). Your definition of "batting advantage" seems to be the same as everyone's else definition of "better team", as it factors in the strength of the bowling attacks, so the conclusion you were stumbling around in your earlier posts was that these two teams would in fact be playing cricket. Cheers for the insight.

What we have in the two best bowling attacks in the world, and two good but not brilliant batting lineups that have been prone to collapse in recent times. Why you think that means it'll "batting vs batting" is beyond me.
Fair point. Best bowling attacks. But batting vs batting because, whichever team bats better will win.

But moving on. Saffers to win.

Jacknife

International Captain
Sa have handled Swann pretty well, all-in-all, although Swann is prone to a devastating, match-turning spell every now and then. I just hope he can give it his all, that elbow has been hindering him for a while.
Swann was MOTS last time we played them in SA taking 21 wickets, caused them problems especially in the first two tests. With the weather being what it is here, I doubt he'll be running through them, more keeping it tight and trying to nick one or two out while the seamers rotate at the other end. A lot will depend on how much decent weather we get and whether the pitches can dry and crack. Like you say lets hope the elbow doesn't give him any jip.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
:mellow:

Either this guy is talking so much sense that I am unable to comprehend his insight or I've had a mental breakdown whilst trying to decipher any point from what he's saying.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah I don't believe it.

Also it would be really annoying. This series needs three Tests of Steyn.

Psycho Macaque

Swann was MOTS last time we played them in SA taking 21 wickets....
With his 9/160-odd saving him from some poor figures - hence my match-turning, devastating spells point.

I am worried about his elbow - he doesn't seem to be exacting the turn as much as usual and last time there were 26 bone fragments removed.

screamingfields

School Boy/Girl Captain
:mellow:

Either this guy is talking so much sense that I am unable to comprehend his insight or I've had a mental breakdown whilst trying to decipher any point from what he's saying.
England have a batting advantage because of the way South Africa bowl. But South Africa do indeed have a better batting line up. But two of the best bowling teams so making it a interesting contest.