• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Australia 2018

SeamUp

International Coach
Comprehensive bowling performance on a great competitive pitch. More pitches like that please! Batting looks fragile and could be exposed with a decent total to chase. Mulder could strengthen that department but then we'd have to leave out one of Ngidi, Rabada, Steyn and well...

Bailey must be wondering about an Indian summer. Would give Australian lineup more stability. Too many hitters in the top six not enough batsmen.
Trying to think who are the batsmen who can accumulate when needed.

I think Shaun Marsh was going to bat 3 before the pain in the ass. Outside of Bancroft, Warner, Smith they hope that Mitch Marsh can do it, maybe some Handscomb, Bailey like you say, pity Ferguson just hasn't carried on his county form for SA and then obviously injured Uzzie.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Trying to think who are the batsmen who can accumulate when needed.

I think Shaun Marsh was going to bat 3 before the pain in the ass. Outside of Bancroft, Warner, Smith they hope that Mitch Marsh can do it, maybe some Handscomb, Bailey like you say, pity Ferguson just hasn't carried on his county form for SA and then obviously injured Uzzie.
I think if this was a more important game they would've picked an accumulator when SMarsh pulled out. They don't expect Smith, SMarsh and Khawaja to all be out come the World Cup, and some of the other spots are more up for grabs. If those guys were all ruled out of the World Cup I'm positive you'd see Handscomb or Bailey (or White or Ferguson, as slightly longer shots) selected rather than this sort of lineup, but the chances of that are obviously slim so they gave lots of the blokes competing the same more explosive batting spots all a run.

I was actually thinking watching Handscomb play in the JLT Cup with how much his limited overs batting had improved that he could be an interesting option at #5 as a keeper if Carey didn't work out, but the World Cup being in England counts both against his batting technique and the idea of using a not-quite-full-time wicket keeper really.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What is New Zealand's top 7 looking like if the WC is tomorrow & everyone was fit ?

Munro
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
Latham (wk)
Nicholls
de Grandhomme/Anderson/Santner
Yep. That #7 spot is probably CdG's spot to lose at the moment with Santner more likely to slot in at eight, but I wouldn't really put it beyond him to lose the spot. He's one of my favourite players but I don't really have a heap of faith in him in the middle format as compared with the other two.

Bahseph

State Captain
Don't worry lads, Phehlukwayo surprises even us SA fans sometimes. Looks innocuous but has a knack of contributing. I wish his batting was better so I wouldn't feel uncomfortable with him at 7.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, wouldn't fully back CdG to get through 10 in an ODI. Not huge amounts of competition for that spot though (unless Santner + longer tail)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
What is New Zealand's top 7 looking like if the WC is tomorrow & everyone was fit ?

Munro
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
Latham (wk)
Nicholls
de Grandhomme/Anderson/Santner
Yeah possibly.

If Will Young continues his form from NZ A he might be there for Nicholls

SeamUp

International Coach
I think if this was a more important game they would've picked an accumulator when SMarsh pulled out. They don't expect Smith, SMarsh and Khawaja to all be out come the World Cup, and some of the other spots are more up for grabs. If those guys were all ruled out of the World Cup I'm positive you'd see Handscomb or Bailey (or White or Ferguson, as slightly longer shots) selected rather than this sort of lineup, but the chances of that are obviously slim so they gave lots of the blokes competing the same more explosive batting spots all a run.

I was actually thinking watching Handscomb play in the JLT Cup with how much his limited overs batting had improved that he could be an interesting option at #5 as a keeper if Carey didn't work out, but the World Cup being in England counts both against his batting technique and the idea of using a not-quite-full-time wicket keeper really.
That's a fair point. I did see your confusion to the batting line-up earlier too. I must admit I think Carey looks a top 3 sort of player but with the guys you mentioned above it probably means they looking at him grow in that middle order position.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty poor show today. I felt like a couple of Aussie batsmen got a bit unlucky but Head's wicket was truly atrocious. That's now 2/21 wins for Australia in ODI cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, wouldn't fully back CdG to get through 10 in an ODI. Not huge amounts of competition for that spot though (unless Santner + longer tail)
Munro retiring from First Class cricket has actually kind of helped CdG in a way, as he's completed changed his bowling style now to the point of being a good backup if CdG goes the distance.

I'd wear this if I had more faith in CdG's batting in this format. His boundary reliant style works in the other formats but he doesn't have many gears to cycle through between just smashing bad deliveries and smashing all of them.

They'll roll with it anyway if he doesn't completely shunt it up in the lead-up IMO, but I'm not convinced he won't do that. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's a fair point. I did see your confusion to the batting line-up earlier too. I must admit I think Carey looks a top 3 sort of player but with the guys you mentioned above it probably means they looking at him grow in that middle order position.
Yeah Carey should either be opening (which he shouldn't be with so many other openers in the lineup or on the fringes) or batting seven. He doesn't average 30 in any form of cricket other than T20 (where he opens) so it's really putting way too much faith in him to bat him five. Mark Waugh was talking about how he's a funky single-manoeuvrer but I don't really see him that way at all.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty poor show today. I felt like a couple of Aussie batsmen got a bit unlucky but Head's wicket was truly atrocious. That's now 2/21 wins for Australia in ODI cricket.
When is CA going to (tacitly) admit they've ****ed up by making the ODI competition a joke shoved in the start of the season. That said the technical problems of the batsmen go back further than that. Head's dismissal was one of a batsman who has never played on a bouncing pitch with the moving ball. His front foot remained rooted while his back foot did all sorts of weird things.

At least Langer is keeping his batting-collapses-while-coach record up.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I know all the focus on Oz is on their batting but the key for me is Starc who had a day to forget today. Was an absolutely lethal ODI bowler for several years but seems to have fallen away a bit on the past couple of years and unless he can regain his top form, can’t see Oz winning the WC.

And fwiw, while he bowled well today don’t really think Cummins sb an automatic WC pick like he’s assumed atm. His ODI record is pretty ordinary and can’t see someone with his style of bowling doing well in English ODI conditions.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It is still an interesting one. Corey Anderson looked very good yesterday, Doug Bracewell is now batting 6 in domestics, and Neesham is performing well with bat and ball this season. I alsoexpect Munro and Williamson to bowl a bit - Gary Stead was quoted saying he wanted KW bowling more in white ball cricket

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Re: the 24k crowd, I think that was pretty decent. ODIs in November are a tough sell at the best of times and this crowd would’ve more than packed out the WACA, which hasn’t gotten close to selling out ODIs in recent years.