• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

pup11

International Coach
I know that not many CWers like or rate Hughes but he has certainly risen to the occasion time and again and shown some steel, for a guy who is 24, he already has 5 international centuries and numerous scores of 80's to his name, if you have close look at it he has played a significant part in Australian success in recent times and when he hasn't scored runs the Australian side too has sunk without a trace. He surely needs to be improve his consistency and one thinks that would only happen if he is allowed to settle into one positon and also he needs to start getting more support from other batters around him.

91Jmay

International Coach
I know that not many CWers like or rate Hughes but he has certainly risen to the occasion time and again and shown some steel, for a guy who is 24, he already has 5 international centuries and numerous scores of 80's to his name, if you have close look at it he has played a significant part in Australian success in recent times and when he hasn't scored runs the Australian side too has sunk without a trace. He surely needs to be improve his consistency and one thinks that would only happen if he is allowed to settle into one positon and also he needs to start getting more support from other batters around him.
I think he has to stay in the side for a while because you have no other option, but his career record is very unimpressive so far - especially after his great start.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
No he certainly hasn't. The rudiger has hit one Test ton in his last 45 innings. I know he's young and I do think its been unfair that he's batted everywhere in the top 6, but he has failed at Test Cricket so far but is too good for Shield.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Compared to the rest of the world Hughes gets defended quite a bit here.

The treatment of Hughes has been pretty poor IMO. His mentality at test cricket just seems shot, and I think it probably comes down to what happened in the 2009 Ashes. He's a tricky conundrum - he dominates Shield cricket, yet can't hack it at test cricket. And it's not like we have many good Shield bats anymore. In an ideal world he still would be in domestic cricket, but Australia's batting is such that he's been made to bat at weird positions, been in and out of the side, and is naturally very inconsistent.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hughes is the one guy in the team today I actually think will be a test success for sure, for all his massive flaws. Eventually he'll get it right. He's a pretty poor test batsman right now though.

Ruckus

International Captain
Players like Hughes especially imo, need to stay in the test team. A lot of the problems with the younger guys are probably mental. And unfortunately, shield cricket doesn't look like it's doing good enough of a job to iron out those issues. They need sustained, tough test match conditions, and just hopefully, it might harden them up a little.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
See the way Khawaja has played so far today - this is the reason why I rate him higher than so many others on here. He just looks really fluent whenever the ball is short or pitched on his legs and solid everywhere else.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean, guys the issue is pretty simple. A batsman's career is said to peak in the 20's/early 30's. We have two batsmen aged between 27 and 33 in this team. And Watson's about to get the arse. England have Cook, Trott, KP, Bell and Prior. Guys like Marsh, White, Ferguson, Cosgrove and Quiney have got around the national team and for one reason or another it hasn't worked out. So we wait.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
At this point we might as well let Hughes open. It's his best position and its not like Watson takes advantage of the boundaries he gets with the new ball and the extra gaps.

91Jmay

International Coach
'Look how late he plays that' Bat is well infront of his pad and he is on the front foot. Good shout Warney.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Players like Hughes especially imo, need to stay in the test team. A lot of the problems with the younger guys are probably mental. And unfortunately, shield cricket doesn't look like it's doing good enough of a job to iron out those issues. They need sustained, tough test match conditions, and just hopefully, it might harden them up a little.
Also worth remembering that almost all the great batsmen of the dominant period had early failures and were dropped. Right now we don't have anyone worthwhile to bring in for Hughes so he does his learning in the test team.