• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

Justo

U19 Debutant
Sensible question from me (for once) - how much of the current state of Australian cricket is down to the fact that there seemed to be a resistance to introduce many new players into (probably) the greatest team of all time until they had all grown old together? Then one retires, they all retire?
This to me is where the problem really is and not with younger bats not performing since even great bats often struggle when they are young. Clarke's not only our best batsmen but the only reliable batsmen (average 40+) in this age group. Australia really needed Jaques, Watson, Voges, North etc to form the core of our batting lineup and if you go back to 2007 and look forward you would think Australia would be looking quite good batting wise (not as good as the previous generation ofc) because of them but it just hasn't happened. Part of the reason for that could be that these guys weren't given a run when they were young (except Clarke) and then dropped and given a chance after their failures to rebuild themselves. Now we have young batsmen being thrown in under pressure situations and not really being given the time to prove themselves or if dropped not being given the time to adapt their games.

Of course these guys have also seemed to have had more injury problems (as a whole) then you would expect from batsmen (pretty much ended Jaques international career, Watson missed so much game time in his career, Voges always seemed to be injured or coming back from injury when a Test spot was available, Clarke's back issues and Sean Marsh's issues) so perhaps this is what has hurt this generation more than anything.

pup11

International Coach
Jimmy didn't bowl spin at TB.
Atm in Australian domestic cricket the ball either seams like crazy on green tops or the wickets are totally placid, so whenever the ball swings or spins in the international circuit the Aussie bats are all at sea against that sort of bowling. There is little emphasis on skill development, the fast bowlers in Australia are mostly happy hitting the deck whereas the batters negate that ploy with a predominant back-foot style of batting.
Nothing is going to change in this regard until the coaches and state teams wake up from their slumber and start thinking about Aus cricket rather than just mindlessly competing for the Shield against each other at the cost of diluting the standard of domestic cricket in Australia.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
I'm sure someone like Katich would, but really what's the point? He'd have like one more year in him. It's just like staving off the inevitable for the sake of it.
But it does give the youngsters more Shield cricket experience. I dunno. I'm just seeing that older teams generally do better.

Ruckus

International Captain
Given the standard of the shield atm and the lack of better options, I honestly think the best way forward for the team is just to retain the younger "high-potential" players. Were gonna lose plenty of games, but at least they will be able to learn and improve in tough, match conditions. It's not ideal, and not how a good system should work, but I can't see any other way around it at this stage.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
But it does give the youngsters more Shield cricket experience. I dunno. I'm just seeing that older teams generally do better.
The issue is that Hughes is terrific at Shield Cricket and quite woeful at Test Cricket. He goes back to Shield and plunders attacks. Perhaps next time, don't recall him so quickly and he will come back a mature and intelligent bat when he is 28 or so.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Given the standard of the shield atm and the lack of better options, I honestly think the best way forward for the team is just to retain the younger "high-potential" players.
At the same time you can't just hand them spots They'd need to have displayed some talent, some good attitude traits, a willingness to work hard and improve, maybe leadership etc. All of a sudden that throws out a lot of options

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Have been away all weekend, but my God there is some serious Swann tasting going on for some Aussie posters.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
At the same time you can't just hand them spots They'd need to have displayed some talent, some good attitude traits, a willingness to work hard and improve, maybe leadership etc. All of a sudden that throws out a lot of options
Sums up why the People's Champ is the People's Champ though. Ticks all those boxes.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah but who are the better alternatives? Cowen and Marsh (and Quiney if you wanna be a bit harsh) were one's from that higher age group and they failed just as bad. At least the younger guys have potential and age on their side.