• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Season 11 Discussion and Results

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
That's really not the point, is it? Your job is to support Smith and his interests as a player, not to come out in full, public support of the board and in opposition to the player before the issue has even been resolved.

And really, I think there's a pretty clear division among the players as to the fairness of Smith's suspension anyway. The issue is not "outright abuse in the dev league", the issue is whether or not Smith should have been suspended, and it's pretty unprofessional to comment on it as you did.

Hoggy31

International Captain
Loony BoB said:
I always debate in the interests of the players - if the interests of the players is to see less profanity and abuse, then what do I do when one player accepts his punishment immediately? I also accept his punishment immediately and hope that the rest of the players in this league can now benefit from a better environment as a result of action being taken when people go against the wishes of the players who, in more cases than not from what has been brought up with me, want to get rid of outright abuse in the Dev League.

I have respect for Smith for what he did in accepting his punishment, I must say.
First and last time I think we'll be hearing that, tbh.

Loony BoB

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
The issue is not "outright abuse in the dev league"
How is it not? When a thread has been made in the PA regarding the code of conduct and the majority of members seemed to me to be going for punishment for abuse, should I then look the other way - as many do - while players are abused? How is an abusive post not an issue of abuse? That's rather perplexing!

EDIT: Of course, if Smith had sent an email or left me a message stating that he thought the ban to be unfair for what he did, then I would surely talk to the CWBCC. However he openly stated that he accepted the punishment. That's his choice, and as the PA Rep, I have no responsibility or obligation towards fighting for lighter punishments for players that have no desire to fight for a lighter punishment. With that said, I stand by the fact that I am happy that punishments are being given towards players who abuse other players, as this is something that has long been known to be an offence and I would think it absurd should the players find the fact that punishments are being given out to players who break the code of conduct to be unfair or unreasonable. Maybe the length of punishments, but not that punishments are being made. And as I said, Smith publically accepted the punishment so I had no reason to argue the length.

In short, [turkey noises].

In other news, not a single member has contacted me regarding Camps' conduct as of yet, although a few people have emailed me praising the fact that punishments are being made at all.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Why would anyone bother contacting you, when you've already made your views on the subject abundantly clear? Frankly, if I did have a problem with the way the board had behaved, I'd certainly not take it up via a PA Rep who will obviously side with the board. It just defeats the purpose of having a PA Rep at all.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Adamc said:
Indeed, I agree with you in that regard, but this specific issued concerns a player v the board, and in such a case you should always as PA Rep be siding with the interests of the player.
But does he as PA rep represent individuals or the body of players as a whole?

If the latter then the interests of the indivdual are not necessarily what he should represent.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
But does he as PA rep represent individuals or the body of players as a whole?

If the latter then the interests of the indivdual are not necessarily what he should represent.
If its a situation where its one player v the board then he should represent the players' interest IMO.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Even if by doing so he is failing to represent the players as a whole (or anywhere near a whole)

Loony BoB

International Captain
chaminda_00 said:
If its a situation where its one player v the board then he should represent the players' interest IMO.
The player in question accepted his punishment before I said anything, so the matter was moot by that point. marc is correct, by the way, in that I have to represent the players association before the player. However, if the player in question has not done anything wrong and wishes to push forward their case, I will be happy to represent them as I'm sure it is in the best interests of all players to defend every individual who feels they are being unfairly punished.

Also, after a chat with Fuller, I've decided to clarify on my earlier comments.

I am, openly, in support of punishments to any individual who offends any of the players. I don't care who that person is - be they on the CWBCC, be they another player, be they a bystander - if they offend a player, then they should be punished so such abuse is discouraged and does not happen in the future.

If any players think this is not in the interests of the players, then they can let me know via email (loony_bob@yahoo.com, again).

As for the nature of the punishment, I have made no comment towards how long it is, and I saw no need to comment on the length considering the player involved in this dispute accepted his punishment. Notably, another player has also been punished recently and nobody caused an uproar about that player, possibly because it did not also involve a CWBCC member. Please note that I have contacted said CWBCC member regarding the complaints of players that feel he was in the wrong.

Anyone who thinks I approve of the length of punishment is putting words in my mouth, likewise anyone who thinks that I think the conduct of any CWBCC members over the past few pages of this thread has been entirely acceptable is also putting words in my mouth.

I will continue to raise any instances of profane abuse that I see occurring around the Dev League to the appropriate authorities - generally the captains and CWBCC, at present - and let them deal with it as they see fit. If anyone feels the punishments are harsh or that punishments are being given when there was no offence, or if they feel a punishment has NOT been given when one should have been, they should contact me at the pre-mentioned email address immediately and I will discuss it with them and if they think it should be raised up then I will raise it up.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
But the best interest of the "players" is an issue here because not everyone is happy with the decision. It does concern the players as to where the line is drawn here and if the players stand up in support for Smith and the board support the board then it's right for you to respresent Smith.

Loony BoB

International Captain
ash chaulk said:
is 2 weeks the go for abuse? sorry i dont read anythink that long towns
Two matches, I think. I don't know if there's anything official as of yet, though - in other words, I believe it's up to the CWBCC, although they do consult the captains as well as myself regarding such things.

If Smith is okay with the decision then as far as I'm concerned it's case closed and none of our business. Again, I've received no official complaints regarding punishments as of yet.

EDIT: Wait, got one now!

David

International 12th Man
So if I were to kill someone, Towns'd have to stand up for me? Excellent. Way to make sense.

The players are divided, so Towns is effectively hand-cuffed here, he can't go either way tbh.

Loony BoB

International Captain
David said:
So if I were to kill someone, Towns'd have to stand up for me? Excellent. Way to make sense.

The players are divided, so Towns is effectively hand-cuffed here, he can't go either way tbh.
That's a very similar analogy to the one I used when talking to Fuller, actually. :D

Hoggy31

International Captain
I think Smith has pretty much come to terms with the decision, so all this bickering can be stopped now hopefully.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be honest, it sounded like he came to terms with it from the beginning (and full credit to him for saying so straight away), but that seemed to be lost on people from both sides of the argument