• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voltman said:
He's too slow for inside centre.
That's a fair point. IMHO he really wasn't the best signing the RFU could've made because there isn't really a direct equivalent of his League position.

Change of subject, but what's the general opinion of Riki Flutey in NZ? Looking the business for Irish this year.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Flutey was known as "Flakey Flutey". Had matchwinning abilities, but really didn't have the brain for a top-level 10. A big left boot, but I didn't rate his organisational skills.

He also got into some trouble in Argentina on a Colts tour - luckily escaped an assault conviction.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voltman said:
Flutey was known as "Flakey Flutey". Had matchwinning abilities, but really didn't have the brain for a top-level 10. A big left boot, but I didn't rate his organisational skills.

He also got into some trouble in Argentina on a Colts tour - luckily escaped an assault conviction.
Did he ever play for the ABs or the "A" team? If not I reckon he could be doing a Van Gisbergen.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Definitely didn't play for the ABs and I'm about 99 percent sure he didn't play for the As. The closest he would have got was Colts probably.

If he managed to make the England side and he ever faced an AB team, NZers would be laughing all the way to 50 points. He is NOT international-class - not even close. And 10 (assuming that's where he still plays) isn't really a position of weakness for you lot when Hodgson, Barkley and Jonny (if he's ever right again) are fit. And no, I didn't forget Goode - I just didn't include him. :laugh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He has looked about the best 10 in the Prem thus far (give or take the odd Charlie Hodgson), to be fair (or what I've seen of it), but that may say more about the Premiership's quality than Flutey's tho...

open365

International Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
Definitely didn't play for the ABs and I'm about 99 percent sure he didn't play for the As. The closest he would have got was Colts probably.

If he managed to make the England side and he ever faced an AB team, NZers would be laughing all the way to 50 points. He is NOT international-class - not even close. And 10 (assuming that's where he still plays) isn't really a position of weakness for you lot when Hodgson, Goode and Jonny (if he's ever right again) are fit. And no, I didn't forget Barkley - I just didn't include him. :laugh:
Edited.:)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Change of subject, but what's the general opinion of Riki Flutey in NZ? Looking the business for Irish this year.
Kiss of death? Just watched 10 minutes against Bristol and he's missed two kicks at goal...

Edit. Maybe I spoke a touch too soon.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
steds said:
Kiss of death? Just watched 10 minutes against Bristol and he's missed two kicks at goal...

Edit. Maybe I spoke a touch too soon.
Watching the senior code, steds? Wow, never thought I'd see the day... :p

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Watching the senior code, steds? Wow, never thought I'd see the day... :p
Was bored. Then I remembered Everton - Wigan will be on the radio. Soccer sounds more exciting when you can't see it.

Tbf, Union isn't too bad sometimes. :shy:

Last edited: