• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Athlai

Not Terrible
Good PPV. Darby vs Sammy, OC vs Pac and the tag match were all stupidly good.

That Cody tattoo being on his neck is such a massive wtf.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Haven't watched Revolution but will watch the VOD hopefully on Tuesday. Looking forward to it, particularly after the utter sham that was WWE SSD.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone here ever wondered what might have happened to Bret Hart had he stayed in the WWF heading into 1998 & beyond?

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pushed down the card with the new breed coming through. His race was run in the organisation by that time.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Whilst he most certainly had a limited shelf-life by that point, I could see him as a legitimate opponent for Austin in 1998. There's probably a ready-made feud with HHH/DX waiting to happen there too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Would have loved the Hart Foundation being the heels for Austin though. And DX Vs Taker. If Bret stayed and Shawn hadn't got injured, I feel we would have had an even better time in the Attitude Era. But I am the cup half full guy here anyways. :)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Guys

The spot from AEW Revolution where Dustin forced himself on Hager's wife for a kiss

What are your thoughts on this?

My view is that this is a spot that needs to die. It's not cool.

But I got into an argument over it with some blokes on one of the dudes from OSW reviews twitter feed

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I see professional wrestling as story telling and like with any story, you can only decide if a particular scene is good or bad once the entire story has unfolded. IF this leads to some kind of come uppance for him and few people getting to say WHY that was wrong and stuff, hopefully its good.

But I understand why such things will make uneasy viewing. You never know what people take out of any storylines and its always better not to let things like this be seen as cool, even temporarily.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
A character supposed to he position as a face performing a non consensual ***ual act on someone who is (kayfabe) a bystander, and this being portrayed as being somehow heroic, is very problematic on multiple levels imo

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sorry, I should have clarified, I have not watched any AEW except the first few shows so have no idea of the background of htis. If he is a face and doing something like this, it is definitely an issue. I can understand a heel doing stuff that are clearly bad but no idea why they let a face do this, esp. since Cody himself is in some kind of responsible position within the company, if I am not wrong.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Is it being portrayed as heroic? I definitely see it more as Dustin being the cheeky bizarrely ***ual Goldust sort of thing there.

It’s a cheap pop and it needs to die but it’s pretty mild honestly. In a show with people stabbing other people’s eyes out (both heel and baby face) I don’t think they’re trying to set anyone up as a role model.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Is it being portrayed as heroic? I definitely see it more as Dustin being the cheeky bizarrely ***ual Goldust sort of thing there.

It’s a cheap pop and it needs to die but it’s pretty mild honestly. In a show with people stabbing other people’s eyes out (both heel and baby face) I don’t think they’re trying to set anyone up as a role model.
I think it is. I mean, it was clearly designed to get a cheer/pop, at the very least. The subtext of the spot is generally "she deserves it because she is an evil woman hanging out with the bad guy". A further implication is that this is an appropriate thing to do to someone simply because you do not like them.

It's not really about wrestling being used as a moral compass or anything. ***ual assault plays a part in a lot of fiction, but it is almost universally portrayed as a bad thing (because it is, obviously). The problem with this spot is that it essentially spins it into a positive light.

As above, the issue here is that the spot can basically be reduced to "yeah let's cheer this guy because he committed a ***ual offence against someone". It is entirely ill-spirited.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guys

The spot from AEW Revolution where Dustin forced himself on Hager's wife for a kiss

What are your thoughts on this?

My view is that this is a spot that needs to die. It's not cool.

But I got into an argument over it with some blokes on one of the dudes from OSW reviews twitter feed
of course it's a terrible spot. and it leaves a cloud hanging over the promotion, in that they might do something along the same lines again.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ok, since lockdown (heh) mode has basically started, I'm going to aim to watch an attitude era PPV every few days/nights of the week.

Started with No Way Out 2000 last night. Actually sat and watched the entire card.

Decided to start with this after listening to JR review it on his podcast the other week. I didn't find it as good as I hoped I might, based on his comments, but a pretty solid show overall, with a great main event.

The Cactus/HHH HIAC seems to be a bit of a forgotten gem in a lot of ways. Never seems to get mentioned in the context of discussions of best Cell matches, but it is definitely in the top 3 of those that I have seen personally (the others being the first ever Cell match between HBK and Taker, and the WM match between HHH and Taker). And as a match it's streets ahead of the King of the Ring 98 one.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wanna try watching the New Gen era PPVs and basically the beginning of the Monday Night Wars. There was this loong series in a site called Lords of Pain that I frequent for wrestling discussion and I loved how the guy did the whole looking back thing. He would also give out the results of the other shows/PPVs to add context and also bring the rating for each week's episode and analyze possible reasons why a particular company won the night etc. I dunno if I will ever be able to write at that detail but I would love to give it a watch. Is it only on the WWE network or are there other ways to access for a bloke in India?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The main event if WM 2000 is a lot better than I remember it to bs. I mean the ending is still crap, but the match itself is pretty good.