• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official * Pakistan vs New Zealand 2023

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
You guys don't think it was his bowling average of 152 in this year's Super Smash that got him the gig?

I'm only being facetious...but yeah, I don't think there's a lot of utility in a 31-year-old bits and pieces-ish all-rounder like McConchie. But hey, he fits the Stead mould of being over 30 and ideally from Christchurch.
And he's a right hander when we have a lot of lefties in the squad/IPL (Latham, Chapman, Neesham, Ravindra, Conway, Bracewell, Santner).

I expect we still would've been thrashed, but
If Foxcroft had been eligible for NZ, Seifert wasn't becoming a father (big congrats to him btw), and Clarkson had been picked that would be a far more exciting batting lineup to follow.

I hope at least Chapman kicks on from this.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I've always held a theory that as a SLA spinner, you have to be pretty hopeless not to be reasonably effective. So really, given a bit of an opportunity, Chapman might be able to do a decent job as a spinner while not wasting a spot on Rachin. Their T20 (not T20I) bowling records are fairly similar.
I remember we loaded up with spin in a T20i vs Australia when they came here a couple of years ago and Chapman did a good job with the ball.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I must admit I've been surprised why Latham is opening.

Mitchell was great in the 2021 T20 WC, Ravindra does it (not particularly successfully) in the SuperSmash and it would be easier to open in Pakistan than try to hit Haris Rauf for 12-15 per over in the last 5, and Young is an adequate option to open as well.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The pitches were so good for T20 cricket as well. I wasn't joking about what I said in the previous posts. It made them like short one-innings Tests.
I really didn't enjoy the pitches bangladesh produced for those NZ/Australia b-team series but i'll admit it made for some awesome moments. Seeing dan christian randomly hit shakib's arrogant ass for 5 sixes in an over was made so much better by the fact it was on a deck where neither team made 120 in a series where runs where so hard to come by.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Zaman Khan is pretty good I reckon. Will need to see how responds to getting thrashed when he plays competent batsmen though. He's very accurate at a decent pace.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Zaman Khan is pretty good I reckon. Will need to see how responds to getting thrashed when he plays competent batsmen though. He's very accurate at a decent pace.
Is he the guy who clutched a ton of 20th overs including the finals win in the recent PSL or was that Abbas Afridi? It always amazes me how Pakistan can just pull high quality fast bowlers like him and inshallah out of their ass every year.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
It was amusing that in the game Finn Allen managed to last 24 balls it created a score that was totally unchaseable.
Yeah his knocks at the top of the order in that series where phenomenal. Massive part of why that NZ side did better than the AUS side that toured a few months earlier.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is he the guy who clutched a ton of 20th overs including the finals win in the recent PSL or was that Abbas Afridi? It always amazes me how Pakistan can just pull high quality fast bowlers like him and inshallah out of their ass every year.
Yeah that's him. He's got a mean Yorker. I'm hoping Ihsanullah can develop into a good long format bowler over time.

Socerer 01

International Captain
The pitches were so good for T20 cricket as well. I wasn't joking about what I said in the previous posts. It made them like short one-innings Tests.
Preparing pitches so silly that it's a struggle to actually survive the twenty overs is the only way T20 should be played tbh.
this is how 10 overs cricket should be played with test style wides and no free hits when that format inevitably becomes more mainstream

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Yeah does a pretty reasonable Malinga impression. Adds another dimension to an already fine pace attack. Another reminder of how time flies, a new wave of players who grew up idolising familiar names from the 00s.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, to be fair a lot of the issue (for me, anyway) is the squad/team picked. It's very hard to get in behind watching Rachin Ravindra bat 7 when his T20 record is awful and he is completely unsuited to the format/that role. Then there's guys like Latham who also isn't a T20 opener (a 4-5 at a push in sub-continent conditions) Will Young shouldn't be playing this format, Neesham is yesterday's man, then there's a few guys (Bowes, Lister, McConchie) that you'd not back to be of much value to NZ going forward.

The only real interest to me is the Big Beautiful Ship and the continued growth of Matt Henry as an international bowler. Don't mind seeing Chapman score runs, too.
Summed up nicely, Steve.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I hate the whole JAM meme but this is the jammiest jam that ever jammed. Scheduled so that it would be our B team against their A team. tbh it’s disrespectful to Pakistan and makes me feel dirty.
Imran Khan refused to play in the 1990 series when Hadlee, Sweden & Bracewell had retired and Wright and Jones didn't go. David White opened the batting in the tests.

Last edited: