• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official * Pakistan vs New Zealand 2023

vandem

International 12th Man
Any info about why Sodhi was not in the playing 11? He started all T20Is last season. Sodhi injured? Strengthening the batting line-up (McConchie at #8)?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh God Kyle Mills went full Danny Morrison and did a haka on TV. Can’t believe Old Man River let me down like this.
Kyle could **** on my front step and I'd still think he was God's gift to the world, and swing bowling in particular...but yeah, that wasn't great. In fact, it was a long way from it.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Gee,those are short boundaries. Just Seddon Park size.

But there's about 2 Eden Park's worth of space between the rope and the fence.

Like Dhaka.

Weaklings. Chickens.

Immenso

Lol. Now I'm seeing a 66m six clear the electronic hoardings, which are about 10m back from the rope but 20m in from the fence.

But, "Its what we want". Allegedly.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This tour reminds me of the 2003 tour to Pakistan. Look at the names in that ODI team - Cumming, R.Jones, Sinclair, Marshall, M.Walker, Walmsley, Mason, Canning, Hitchcock around some of the most established names. We got humped 5-0 in that series...

vandem

International 12th Man
What’s the point of McConchie
I assume McConchie and Ravindra are competing for the non-travelling-ODI-World-Cup-spinner-all-rounder spot. Or perhaps both are in consideration, one to cover Macewell ROB, one to cover Santner SLA. Over the last two seasons selectors seem to have been picking some T20I / test squad players with an eye on the World Cup in India Oct-Nov 2023.

Without McConchie's spin ability (which was handy on the 2021 T20I tour to Bangladesh, 7 wickets @ 16, ER 6.4) it seems strange he was picked ahead of Bruce or Clarkson, who both had good Super Smash and Ford Trophy seasons.

Perhaps a quiet word to Stead from the tour captain?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You guys don't think it was his bowling average of 152 in this year's Super Smash that got him the gig?

I'm only being facetious...but yeah, I don't think there's a lot of utility in a 31-year-old bits and pieces-ish all-rounder like McConchie. But hey, he fits the Stead mould of being over 30 and ideally from Christchurch.

thierry henry

International Coach
Ah well at least Rachin seems to have bowled quite well. I guess this tour is also confirming some things we already sort of knew like: Chapman is ok, Rachin isn’t much use slogging down the order, Neesham is pretty iffy with bat and ball these days, Lister isn’t really up to it and Henry, while not a T20 bowler, is just better than most of his teammates.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I've always held a theory that as a SLA spinner, you have to be pretty hopeless not to be reasonably effective. So really, given a bit of an opportunity, Chapman might be able to do a decent job as a spinner while not wasting a spot on Rachin. Their T20 (not T20I) bowling records are fairly similar.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've always held a theory that as a SLA spinner, you have to be pretty hopeless not to be reasonably effective. So really, given a bit of an opportunity, Chapman might be able to do a decent job as a spinner while not wasting a spot on Rachin. Their T20 (not T20I) bowling records are fairly similar.
Rachin's T20I bowling record is massively skewed by playing on those ridiculously fun bunsens in Bangladesh too.

Immenso

Ah well at least Rachin seems to have bowled quite well. I guess this tour is also confirming some things we already sort of knew like: Chapman is ok, Rachin isn’t much use slogging down the order, Neesham is pretty iffy with bat and ball these days, Lister isn’t really up to it and Henry, while not a T20 bowler, is just better than most of his teammates.
I actually think Lister is worth a shot. Can swing it and can hit a yorker. Useful in both power play and at the death. Looked quite useful with transferable skills - when I've seen him in SS. Questions would be with his pace.

Now, this post could be 6 months out of date and maybe he has already shown he's not up to it in the white-ball tour to pak/ind back a few months ago? I have no recollection of performances then, nor watched any of it.