• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official * Pakistan vs New Zealand 2023

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Makes me realise I've never actually seen a game of IPL ever in my life.

Saw news clips of McCullum 100 in first with a gold helmet. I think that's all I've ever seen.

I'm not interested in any foreign franchise T20 cricket. Watch about 10% of the super smash plus some internationals.

Earlier in thread when Steve was comparing Chapman's ton to the top 5 nz T20 innings I realised I'd seen none of them.

Dont hate T20. Just not on my radar or in my timezone.

Last edited:

G. S. Kohli

Saw news clips of McCullum 100 in first with a gold helmet. I think that's all I've ever seen.

I'm not interested in any foreign franchise T20 cricket. Watch about 10% of the super smash plus some internationals.

Earlier in thread when Steve was comparing Chapman's ton to the top 5 nz T20 innings I realised I'd seen none if them.

This is not IPL thread you should talk bout nz bowling or so

The Hutt Rec

Earlier in thread when Steve was comparing Chapman's ton to the top 5 nz T20 innings I realised I'd seen none if them.

Nah I’ve never watched an IPL game, or a Big Bash game for that matter. Just zero interest.

Will watch almost every Super Smash game though, just because it’s the only decent coverage we get of domestic NZ cricket. Have to say even the Super Smash was pretty boring this year though. Dragged on way too long and was missing a lot of the interesting players who were off in Pakistan.

Flem274*

123/5
I watched the **** out of several WBBL seasons. Missed the boat with this one a bit because had other things going on. Womens T20 is like a mini-ODI and is really good tbh, though Womens ODIs are the best. Sad I'll never get to see our women play a test match.

Howsie

International Captain
marketing

english and aussies are also just considered inherently better.

these sides aren't owned and run by the best and brightest, and winning isn't the only priority.

a motivated cwpl drafter could draft a championship winning side within 3 seasons. i'd take them on that bet too.
Marketing obviously makes sense when it comes to big international stars etc. But if you're trying to tell me guys named Matt Short and Phil Salt (lol) are more marketable then a guy who has dominated every form of cricket since coming into the international scene ?

I always put it down to there being more Australian coaches in the IPL, and they stick with who they know.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Chapman is batting too low in the order. Ridiculous. Latham was out there batting like it was a test match, soaking up crucial balls and overs. ffs.
latham will come good in the mid order in odis....he's clutch to me at that position especially in subc, has had many good knocks at 5

Howsie

International Captain
I’ve never been a fan of Latham in one day cricket. He definitely has his fans on here and I’ll admit he has it in him to play a worthwhile knock every once in a while. But his career record seriously screams that of someone who played 20 years ago. He isn’t close to consistent enough.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
I think highly of Tom Latham in general but he has felt off this whole summer. Seems to be playing very within himself and timid. I wouldn't pick him for the WC with current form, though he does play well in India.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Marketing obviously makes sense when it comes to big international stars etc. But if you're trying to tell me guys named Matt Short and Phil Salt (lol) are more marketable then a guy who has dominated every form of cricket since coming into the international scene ?

I always put it down to there being more Australian coaches in the IPL, and they stick with who they know.
The fact that NZ players are written off so much by IPL franchises is genuinly really frustrating, NGL. CSK and MI are the most savy sides, and suprise suprise, are the only sides that have seen the value you can get in buying a player from nz like mccleneghan, conway, santner, pre MI boult etc for dirt cheap. Phillips is one of the best t20 bats in the world, can keep, and can bowl you a few overs here and there and yet has played 2 games in 3 seasons across a number of franchises, allen has been warming the bench for RCB for the past 3 seasons, bracewell is a fantastic t20 cricketer and got one game for RCB before getting thrown out the door, Mitchell has contributed in 2 t20 wc knockout games for NZ and dominated with the bat across formats + can bowl a few overs and only managed 2 games with RR before he got shown the door. If any of these guys where Aussie they'de have played a ton more.

FFS even fringe NZ players like doug bracewell probably should have played more. Bracewell got one game a few years ago, got 3 wickets for **** all and smashed a few runs unbeaten + has a fantastic super smash record and no franchise wants to give him a shot, same with clarkson. He's been the best middle order bat in the comp for a few years and can't even get a contract. I really rate matt short, but you can't tell me that he's done more then doug or clarkson and yet got given a contract and 3 games. I watched the BBL seasons that short has dominated and it was barely above super smash quality. Barely any decent internationals, grade cricketers everywhere, and so many weird gimmicks that it barely resembles the normal t20 cricket that gets played in the IPL.

EDIT: I'de like to say that this applies to most places not named Aus/ENG in the IPL unless where talking about MI/CSK and maybe the new gujarat franchise. Shanaka is a better t20 cricketer than Sam Curran or cam green right now and has smashed india all over the park every time he's played them and yet couldn't get a gig until teams needed backups of backups way after the auction happened.

The Hutt Rec

I don't mind Latham being in the ODI team since this World Cup is in India, but it should be his farewell appearance in the side.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's hard to read too much into a match with so many first choice players missing. I reckon Latham, Young, Mitchell, Sodhi and Henry would be certain starters for a full strength side. Sodhi and Henry were reasonable economical. Sodhi looked a little dangerous at the start of his spell too. I didn't watch NZ's batting but the rest bar Latham played pretty well. Shaheen has been expensive midway through the PSL. He's usually gun at the start but recently has bowled some expensive overs in his first spell. The side depends so much on his new ball bursts so that's a concern. Imagine if he gets Irfan Pathan'd. Naseem is gun and a mainstay in the side now, has been exceptional pretty much every time he's played an ODI. Rauf hasn't figured out the format yet entirely but I believe in this pace trio. Shan Masood at 4 is really ehhhhhhhhhhh. That's the key spot Pakistan needs to figure out. Rizwan and Aggro Salmon at 5 and 6 looks pretty good.

Edit: catching up with first innings highlights and that was a truly rancid fielding effort. Probably tacked on an extra 20-30 runs.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
It's hard to read too much into a match with so many first choice players missing. I reckon Latham, Young, Mitchell, Sodhi and Henry would be certain starters for a full strength side. Sodhi and Henry were reasonable economical. Sodhi looked a little dangerous at the start of his spell too. I didn't watch NZ's batting but the rest bar Latham played pretty well. Shaheen has been expensive midway through the PSL. He's usually gun at the start but recently has bowled some expensive overs in his first spell. The side depends so much on his new ball bursts so that's a concern. Imagine if he gets Irfan Pathan'd. Naseem is gun and a mainstay in the side now, has been exceptional pretty much every time he's played an ODI. Rauf hasn't figured out the format yet entirely but I believe in this pace trio. Shan Masood at 4 is really ehhhhhhhhhhh. That's the key spot Pakistan needs to figure out. Rizwan and Aggro Salmon at 5 and 6 looks pretty good.

Edit: catching up with first innings highlights and that was a truly rancid fielding effort. Probably tacked on an extra 20-30 runs.
Yeah the fielding got bizarre at the end. Maybe Nicholls used his powers.

I thought the quicks bowled quite well. Rauf probably could have constructed his overs better rather than going for glory balls often but he's coming off T20 where that's kinda what he's picked for.

The spinners need to lift their game next time.

Didn't see us bowl but it looks like a well constructed chase. Used their overs but minimum fuss with 5 wickets in the bank.

Socerer 01

International Captain
The fact that NZ players are written off so much by IPL franchises is genuinly really frustrating, NGL. CSK and MI are the most savy sides, and suprise suprise, are the only sides that have seen the value you can get in buying a player from nz like mccleneghan, conway, santner, pre MI boult etc for dirt cheap. Phillips is one of the best t20 bats in the world, can keep, and can bowl you a few overs here and there and yet has played 2 games in 3 seasons across a number of franchises, allen has been warming the bench for RCB for the past 3 seasons, bracewell is a fantastic t20 cricketer and got one game for RCB before getting thrown out the door, Mitchell has contributed in 2 t20 wc knockout games for NZ and dominated with the bat across formats + can bowl a few overs and only managed 2 games with RR before he got shown the door. If any of these guys where Aussie they'de have played a ton more.

FFS even fringe NZ players like doug bracewell probably should have played more. Bracewell got one game a few years ago, got 3 wickets for **** all and smashed a few runs unbeaten + has a fantastic super smash record and no franchise wants to give him a shot, same with clarkson. He's been the best middle order bat in the comp for a few years and can't even get a contract. I really rate matt short, but you can't tell me that he's done more then doug or clarkson and yet got given a contract and 3 games. I watched the BBL seasons that short has dominated and it was barely above super smash quality. Barely any decent internationals, grade cricketers everywhere, and so many weird gimmicks that it barely resembles the normal t20 cricket that gets played in the IPL.

EDIT: I'de like to say that this applies to most places not named Aus/ENG in the IPL unless where talking about MI/CSK and maybe the new gujarat franchise. Shanaka is a better t20 cricketer than Sam Curran or cam green right now and has smashed india all over the park every time he's played them and yet couldn't get a gig until teams needed backups of backups way after the auction happened.
great post, csk likes it's New Zealand cricketers because of their coach and because they know those players will be undervalued by other teams and hence cheaper on average. Hesson at RCB is the only reason why they may have even signed the likes of Bracewell, Allen and Jamieson in the past

will say that Shanaka wasn't originally selected because he wouldn't have been available for a lot of the season due to the New Zealand tour and later on Ireland odis. the odis being converted to a test is why Gujarat probably signed him as replacement despite having an overload of middle order sloggers already

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah the fielding got bizarre at the end. Maybe Nicholls used his powers.

I thought the quicks bowled quite well. Rauf probably could have constructed his overs better rather than going for glory balls often but he's coming off T20 where that's kinda what he's picked for.

The spinners need to lift their game next time.

Didn't see us bowl but it looks like a well constructed chase. Used their overs but minimum fuss with 5 wickets in the bank.
Yeah that sounds like Rauf. He just needs more practice imo. Naseem had the right idea yesterday. From what I saw, he zoned in on a length relentlessly and only got hit for 2 boundaries. Nawaz is just a limited bowler and is easy to get on top of for good players and I'd rather see Imad Wasim in his place. You blokes were mad about Chapman not being in the ODI squad, how does Imad's exclusion sound?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah that sounds like Rauf. He just needs more practice imo. Naseem had the right idea yesterday. From what I saw, he zoned in on a length relentlessly and only got hit for 2 boundaries. Nawaz is just a limited bowler and is easy to get on top of for good players and I'd rather see Imad Wasim in his place. You blokes were mad about Chapman not being in the ODI squad, how does Imad's exclusion sound?
Imad not playing the T20 World Cup was even weirder. He's an ATG T20 player IMO. You could make a non-ridiculous argument for him actually being the best T20 cricketer of all time, but he was left out for Nawaz who had a genuinely memeworthy tournament.