• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in New Zealand

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I don't hate Sumo as much as some of the people in here, in fact I've been really enjoying some of his quips this summer. Ripping out the older bloke in Napier for telling the Bangladesh fan to chill out with the flag was gold probably the highlight.

I also wish the commentators would stop the narrative about Finn Allen needing to bat past the powerplay in T20Is. ODIs, yes completely agree. But T20 he literally can win us games in the powerplay if he comes off (see Australia T20 WC) and in the same breath Macca was saying KW needs to feed the strike to him so Finn Allen can make the most of the powerplay. Can't have it both ways imo. But was good to see him dismantle Shaheen.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I don't hate Sumo as much as some of the people in here, in fact I've been really enjoying some of his quips this summer. Ripping out the older bloke in Napier for telling the Bangladesh fan to chill out with the flag was gold probably the highlight.

I also wish the commentators would stop the narrative about Finn Allen needing to bat past the powerplay in T20Is. ODIs, yes completely agree. But T20 he literally can win us games in the powerplay if he comes off (see Australia T20 WC) and in the same breath Macca was saying KW needs to feed the strike to him so Finn Allen can make the most of the powerplay. Can't have it both ways imo. But was good to see him dismantle Shaheen.
What's missing is a good straight forward ball by ball caller. Or a few of them for rotation. Sumo could probably be a decent commentator if he was a secondary but it's his ball by ball stuff that winds me up.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I felt it was an interesting analysis in terms of balls faced, how the Gups, Munro's etc were 21/22, Conway and Kane 25 but Finn was at 14. You're right - different type of player and we can't have a buck each way as commentators often do. They want the firepower without the risk.

My issue with Finn is he gets out to balls he should be finding a way to keep out. The no ball he was bowled on Friday with, that's yuck. It's a waste. Keep that out and find better ways to score. He needs a decent backing of a defence to the straight ones, then figure his game out in which areas he's going to score - against top class bowlers, less than consistent ones, spinners etc. This is why he's not a top level gun for hire yet - he doesn't have enough impact on games because he doesn't have a defense to rely on when bowlers target the stumps.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cricinfo says that Allen six went "into the top tier". What does that mean at Seddon? I'm not able to watch at the moment, and struggling to picture where that might have gone.

King Kane

International Debutant
Another great start from Finn Allen, hopefully he can kick on with it this time.

Conway starting to find some form too.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Cricket is pretty amazing and daft at the same time when you think about it. Kane hasn't got a century in this format, but on this ground be averages over 100.

King Kane

International Debutant
I might have spoke too soon about Conway finding some form, still a better knock than his last couple of games though.