• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in New Zealand 2017/18

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Does sound like he's really bowling well, wish I could watch. Think he's been a better new-ball ODI bowler than Southee for quite a while, but Southee has more variations for bowling through the middle and the death.

They're inevitably going to be compared but it's really a matter of what suits the balance of the side better - a better new ball bowler or a better middle-overs/death bowler. Or play both and drop Ferguson, which could happen e.g. next World Cup. The Ferguson experiment is fun at the moment though, and we can also always consider a second spinner there instead.
With McCleneghan and Anderson on the outer bowling in the middle to end overs has been even more of a concern, which his probably why Southee continues to be first choice despite questionable stats in the last 2 years. Wish they'd rotate the two of them more though.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
With McCleneghan and Anderson on the outer bowling in the middle to end overs has been even more of a concern, which his probably why Southee continues to be first choice despite questionable stats in the last 2 years. Wish they'd rotate the two of them more though.
Yeah good point that Anderson was not bad bowling at the death, considering that he was an all-rounder. Pity about the batting. CDG isn't going to bowl at the death unfortunately.

Meanwhile this match is meandering to another win.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see Umar Amin still exists. I remember liking him when he was picked for a couple of Tests some 7-8 years ago.

Flem274*

123/5
this has been far closer game than it should have been which is weird to say after just winning 5-0.

the bowling after the 20th over really lacks venom.

on the overall bowling improvement - kyle mills interview said he's been focusing on getting them to bowl line and length consistently ftr. not exactly reinventing the wheel stuff haha. must be all in the practice and communication.

Last edited:

Moss

this has been far closer game than it should have been which is weird to say after just winning 5-0.

the bowling after the 20th over really lacks venom.

on the overall bowling improvement - kyle mills interview said he's been focusing on getting them to bowl line and length consistently ftr. not exactly reinventing the wheel stuff haha. must be all in the practice and communication.
An assistant coach for the death bowling lessons maybe? I'm sure Millsy wouldn't mind some help there.

New ball bowling was terrific nonetheless. Good to see Henry reminding us of what he's capable of.

Last edited:

Moss

Imagine if he was an ATG cricketer. Would cricinfo remove the (3)?
Ha ha. Remember as a kid being bewildered by Ijaz Ahmed's full name appearing as Ijaz Ahmed Sr quite often in the 90's. Made me wonder how the hell he had a son who was playing cricket.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
A bit of an anticlimactic series this, as Pakistan had moments throughout but rarely put on a consistent fight. Rain certainly let them down in the first two matches but after that, there was some muddled thinking, although in the final match, they were on the right track. They MUST play two spinners, as their strength for so long has been to strangle batting line ups in the middle overs. If Imad is not fit, this Nawaz lad can fit in, he seems handy with the bat and very good with the ball. Obviously Shadab will remain, he looks more and more world class the more I see him. At just 19 but bats and bowls with the maturity of a far older and experienced cricketer. Amir, Raeen, Hasan and 2 spinners should be the line up.

As for NZ, they look to be a settled side, very good at home, who just need to prove it in a tournament now. I'be even impressed with Boult and co and the batting is just as world class as it has been for quite a while now. Can they repeat all of this in the t20s?

Also, someone needs to have a word with Sarfraz about his captaincy.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
why is there no game this weekend but we had a day game yesterday? bit silly
I honestly can't work it out. A game on Friday, a public holiday nowhere, nothing on the weekend at all then a T20 at 3pm on a public holiday only in the town they're playing in.

Doesn't mean it's woeful scheduling (although NZC, so let's assume) but I honestly can't see why it wouldn't be Saturday Monday or Friday Sunday for TV 'eyeballs'

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Today’s NZ Herald article marketing NZC and Saber Metrics .

"As long as people are trying to perform their role, doing the best they can, they'll get more opportunities. ..........."Sometimes people force old-style statistics down others' throats, but the only fact that matters is 'what have you done to help win a game for your team?'.

Come selection time - forget old fashioned player statistics - Trust Saber Metrics.

Last edited: