• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in CWLand

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is that squad above the only players able to play in this tournament?
That's the squad for one tour match against Pakistan. None of those players have played internationals, and I'd guess that only 2 of them will ever do so. Won't say who.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I have no life, that's why I was picked as Captain (so said the phonecall). Could you send me some details of these players' records and I'll sort something out forthwith.
Was meant to be "like" obviously, but clearly my typo gave it even greater meaning. I'm so dee
Surprised to see Rhys Williams in here after his performances in the 20:20 competition. Shocked that he can't get a spot in his Dev League team XI.
Sudeep picked over him. Quotas IMO. That's all I'm saying. :ph34r:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bowling Line-up

T Bochat (1)
HT Davis (2)
MA Hutchinson (3)
RA Williams (4)
DA Chapman (5)
CR Burge (6)
C Raftery (7 - 1st Reserve Bowler for use in Emergency Situations)
DH Cole (8 - 2nd Reserve Bowler for use in Emergency Situations)

Batting Order:

CR Burge
JA Robertson
DG Speirs
DH Cole
C Raftery
KS Konig (+)
MA Hutchinson
RA Williams
DA Chapman
T Bochat
HT Davis (*)

HeathDavisSpeed

Dinnen called up for CW Green, so Chris Raftery called into the side.
Can you just confirm that Raftery can bowl. I have a feeling he can, but if he can't, drop him '1st Reserve' bowling orders, and shift up Dylan Cole to 1st (and only) emergency reserve.

Disappointed to lose Dinnen. Stats look pretty useful.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Can you just confirm that Raftery can bowl. I have a feeling he can, but if he can't, drop him '1st Reserve' bowling orders, and shift up Dylan Cole to 1st (and only) emergency reserve.

Disappointed to lose Dinnen. Stats look pretty useful.
A spin-bowling allrounder. Left-arm chinaman, IIRC. Though I probably don't.

HeathDavisSpeed

A spin-bowling allrounder. Left-arm chinaman, IIRC. Though I probably don't.
Okay. Go ahead with the orders set.

Davis Regime Gets off to injury filled training session

After Davis' surprise appointment as Captain of the Chairman's XI, he was apparently looking to make an impact in the first, and only combined training session for the one-off team. Looking to avoid injuries that have plagued superstars Glenn McGrath and James Anderson in warm-up sessions in recent years, Davis overlooked soccer and rugby as warm up games and instead fired up a game of Kabbadi.

The Colts' hierarchy are understood to be far from impressed with the black-eye that Dylan Cole sustained and Davis himself suffered a dead leg in the training session.

If eyebrows were quizzically raised following Davis' appointment, its certain that questions are now being asked at CWBCC headquarters.

Lordeman

Cricket Spectator
Awesome. Surprised at the call-up, was of the opinion that I'd been playing fairly poorly in Grade cricket, tbph.

tadeusz

State 12th Man
Pleasantly surprised to get a gig. Nowhere near the Colts' first XI, and havent exactly been setting Grade on fire either.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Congratulations to all the players selected. Chairmen's XI matches have a history of unearthing big performers. Hopefully that tradition will continue. :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Pakistanis grind out win in Pickford
Pakistanis v CWBCC Chairmen's XI - 4D - Pickford Reserve

Scorecard
Ball by Ball

Fast bowlers ruled at Pickford reserve and the Pakistanis were tested by a young CWBCC Chairmen's XI in their tour opener. All 40 wickets fell in less than 8 sessions and the four-day game was over before the close of the third day. Pakistanis chose to bat first despite a bit of cloud cover on a spotless pitch. And the Webbers wasted no time stirring up action. With the first ball of the match, Thad Bochat got Nasir Jamshed to edge to a third slip.

From that exciting start, however, the Pakistanis settled into rhythm and the second wicket pairing added an even hundred. Younis Khan looked in supreme nick on his way to a half-century, and he pulled a short ball from Williams to the rope to reach it. The very next ball, Williams had his revenge. A well-landed legbreak eluded the forward prod of Younis and Raftery snapped up a good catch at short leg. In came Mohammad Yousuf, and no sooner had he taken guard than he was sent on his way. Yousuf pushed forward to be beaten by a beautiful googly and König completed a swift stumping. Williams had two in two and the Pakistanis were suddenly on the back foot.

Salman Butt, still fighting at the crease, cracked the spinner behind point for four and raised his bat to celebrate 50. But carnage ensued at the other end. The return of Davis sparked the fall of Malik (3) and Akmal (8) and the Pakistanis slumped to 184-8 at tea. In the final session Butt was run out 7 short of a deserved hundred and Davis collected a third wicket, finishing the innings on 198.

Some 24 overs remained in the day and the Chairmen's XI batsmen were subject to a fiery introduction to the bowling of Shoaib Akhtar. The inexperienced top order crumbled as Akhtar fired the ball up at their ribs with venom and consistency. And by the time Daniel Speirs gloved through to Akmal, the score was 30-5. König looked good in her brief stay, but was bowled by Yasir Arafat with 13. A rebuilding effort then fell to Myles Hutchinson and Williams, and they pushed to stumps without further loss.

The partnership increased to 56 on the second morning before Akhtar returned to take his 5th wicket of the innings. Hutchinson (48) skied a pull shot and Umar Gul took a good catch at deep square leg. Williams continued to impress with a straight bat until he was the penultimate wicket of the innings, caught bat-pad for 33. The Chairmen's XI were all out for 157, trailing by 41 runs.

The slim lead left the Pakistanis with a lot to do in their last warmup innings, but they were off to a bad start again. Jamshed survived a King's Pair, but with a run to his name he was out in identical fashion to the first innings. Younis announced himself with some glorious shots, once more, but after he had raced to 31 he pushed at a Hutchinson delivery to be caught behind. Yousuf entered and Davis brought Williams on to try to rattle the great man again, and to his delight, the plan worked. For the second time in the match Yousuf was deceived by a googly and presented König with another sharp stumping chance, which she claimed with ease.

Malik followed for 0, caught-and-bowled by Chapman, and Pakistanis led by just 120 with 4 wickets down. For the second time Butt was the lone outstanding batsman and he notched a second half-century as reward for his application. Davis replaced Williams with a promise of action and delivered with immediate impact. Butt pushed defensive at his first ball and got a thin edge to the wicketkeeper. Fast bowler Hutchinson joined Davis on the comeback trail and the two tore through the tail excitingly in tandem. Only Akmal looked competent against the two men, but Davis ultimately accounted for him on 54. The Pakistanis scored 201 all out, thanks in part to 15 from Akhtar down the stretch.

That left the Webbers needing an attainable 243 to win with conditions at their best for batting. It was little comfort for the young batsmen, who were met with another excellent spell from Akhtar. However, there was much better resistance the second time around and the hosts reached stumps on 24-2. That score improved to 71 when Dylan Cole was given out for 28. He indicated that he did not hit the ball, but was made to walk. Speirs soldiered on, then he too was out for a start, lbw for 26. There was brief relief when Akmal dropped König and the Chairmen's XI looked to push toward the target.

Raftery showed some good form with excellent timing off the front foot, but he was next out, caught at leg gully for a promising 37. The gates were open for Akhtar to run through the tail and he did so with no mercy, completing a 10-wicket haul with little resistance. König (39) was among his wickets, finishing a brave knock in much the same fashion of Raftery before. Again Williams showed some composure with the bat to be unbeaten on 9 at the end.

Pakistanis 1st Innings 198 all out
Butt 93, Khan 51, Davis 3-39, Hutchinson 2-25
CWBCC Chairmen's XI 1st Innings 157 all out
Hutchinson 48, Williams 33, Akhtar 5-37, Kaneria 2-16
Pakistanis 2nd Innings 201 all out
Akmal 54, Butt 52, Davis 4-40, Bochat 2-45
CWBCC Chairmen's XI 2nd Innings 171 all out
König 39, Raftery 37, Akhtar 5-43, Gul 2-30
Pakistanis won by 71 runs.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Bit of a bowlers' match it would seem, good effort by a bunch of mostly fringe players to get that close. Some good signs for the CWXI though.

HeathDavisSpeed

I think we alerted the Pakistanis that their batting might have to step up a notch on these CWLand pitches. Pretty happy with the performances of Hutchinson, Williams and myself. Bochat taking a few wickets, but suffering a bit with the economy rate. Konig sounding good behind the sticks is good news for the Blacks and hopefully the workout that the top order have got in that game will have taught them a thing or two when the inevitably head back to grade cricket.