• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2023/24

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is anyone else a bit worried despite the result this series? I just don't feel very confident in this side right now despite the whitewash.

Marnus has been scratchy for a prolonged period, Smith looks the worst he's looked in ages, head has had a dreadful series, and starc is the second best bowler in the side despite bowling both sides of the wicket regularly this series. As bad as Warner's been for a while, he's a major reason where up in this series and hes done after this game, and the replacements are so bad where talking about making green, marnus or Smith to open. We've also got to replace usman in the near future.
It's not a whitewash yet.

We'll still beat almost every team who tours here. But India will be tough, and if England discover some good batsmen they could mount a challenge too - and I don't see us winning an away Ashes having blown two good chances*. The batting is going to be a huge problem, especially the openers - which is why I'm not averse to moving Head up and having him play Warner's role. It's a better idea than Green opening.

We have some batting talent (including Green) but it's nowhere near as much as I'd like and it will take a while to gell. I'm not worried about the bowling, except that replacements might not be made until after they're due. The spin bowling stocks in particular are looking better than they have for many years.

*with Joel Wilson's help both times

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is anyone else a bit worried despite the result this series? I just don't feel very confident in this side right now despite the whitewash.

Marnus has been scratchy for a prolonged period, Smith looks the worst he's looked in ages, head has had a dreadful series, and starc is the second best bowler in the side despite bowling both sides of the wicket regularly this series. As bad as Warner's been for a while, he's a major reason where up in this series and hes done after this game, and the replacements are so bad where talking about making green, marnus or Smith to open. We've also got to replace usman in the near future.
I see what you meant. I think the bowling is OK - sure the bowlers that aren't Cummins are aging but I'm fairly confident in the calibre of their replacements even if they aren't as good.

Batting though is a huge worry and the way Shield cricket works means that there's bugger all coming through. So much relies on Marnus getting back to this best.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I see what you meant. I think the bowling is OK - sure the bowlers that aren't Cummins are aging but I'm fairly confident in the calibre of their replacements even if they aren't as good.

Batting though is a huge worry and the way Shield cricket works means that there's bugger all coming through. So much relies on Marnus getting back to this best.
I'm not sure Marnus is actually much worse than he was at his best, he's just getting dropped a lot less often.

Kraken

International 12th Man

Ah cmon man. This wicket is not as flat as it’s made out to be -I thought Marnus in particular batted quite well today, only undone by a good nut. I agree there’s a little bit of lack of depth with the batters - however Green will come good, and we will find players. Imagine thinking Marnus would be a test player 5 years ago?

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant

Not really. I said it in an earlier post but they just look complacent; as if winning the WTC and WC entitled them to walk over this Pakistan side. To be fair that was the result most expected so its been a credit to Pak for making this series competitive and worth watching.

Warner has had his criticism over the last 18 months and there's a few options for his spot who will be hungry to make an impression. I think Usman has been impacted by some of the stuff happening off the field, he's also allowed a quiet spell after the 2023 he had. The same goes for Head, who's probably still hungover from what he achieved to end last year. Marsh has been good.

Smith and Labu are probably my biggest concerns, it's very unlike them to cash in during a home series.

Bowling unit has been fine, aside from Lyon who is quieter than usual and only really made the headlines due to the milestones rather than performances. If he doesn't do something of note this innings then there's probably a conversation to be had there, although there isn't much point in discussing alternatives.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm not sure Marnus is actually much worse than he was at his best, he's just getting dropped a lot less often.
These pitches also don't really suit him. He's like Hussey in that he's a very specific type of HTB who thrives off being able to leave on length.

Starfighter

It's not just the Shield, it's the pre-Shield stage as well. Batsmen should be coming into the Shield at 20-22 and be ready for tests by 24-25. Instead they're not ready until 27-28.

NSW in particular is being a dead weight when it comes to producing batsmen. Probably due to too much focus on white ball at the age group representative level.

Starfighter

These pitches also don't really suit him. He's like Hussey in that he's a very specific type of HTB who thrives off being able to leave on length.
Maybe another reason we need our traditional fast, bouncy, but fairly flat pitches back.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's not just the Shield, it's the pre-Shield stage as well. Batsmen should be coming into the Shield at 20-22 and be ready for tests by 24-25. Instead they're not ready until 26-28.

NSW in particular is being a dead weight when it comes to producing batsmen. Probably due to too much focus on white ball at the age group representative level.
Really feels like Sam Konstas is already being seen as the saviour in that regard. Tbf he's probably got a free run at the rest of the Shield to bed himself in.

Starfighter

Really feels like Sam Konstas is already being seen as the saviour in that regard. Tbf he's probably got a free run at the rest of the Shield to bed himself in.
I hope he does really well, but I'm not holding my breath. Wyllie is struggling to find his feet for WA. At least they've both got plenty of time get the hang of things, and have proven themselves more at lower levels than the likes of J Sangha and Edwards.

Spark

Global Moderator
Have no issues if Lyon gets cover driven a lot here. Much better that than milked to square leg

Spark

Global Moderator
I hope he does really well, but I'm not holding my breath. Wyllie is struggling to find his feet for WA. At least they've both got plenty of time get the hang of things, and have proven themselves more at lower levels than the likes of J Sangha and Edwards.
Wyllie is a different player tbf, he specifically seems to get tied down really easily which was always the question mark on him coming in because he's a naturally cautious player. Whereas Konstas and Dixon seem to be natural stroke makers which I personally think is much more promising at that U19 level

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
He's averaging 34 over 16 tests since the start of the SA series last summer. The drops definitely made him look better than he was but I don't know if this current patch reflects his true ability either.

Starfighter

Bowling unit has been fine, aside from Lyon who is quieter than usual and only really made the headlines due to the milestones rather than performances. If he doesn't do something of note this innings then there's probably a conversation to be had there, although there isn't much point in discussing alternatives.
Murphy's an intriguing alternative, though I feel he's gone backwards since his test debut. Bowling far too quick and guilelessly and averaging 59 this season. Needs to flight it a bit more so he gets more grip.

Kuhnemann's a decent left armer but I don't think he's better than Holland yet, and he's playing second fiddle behind Swepson currently. Rochiccioli is the closest we have to a Lyon type spinner but probably needs a bit more time. And of course there's T Sangha waiting in the wings.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i knew that the scg hasnt actually spun recently but i didn’t realise lyon’s record here was so dogwater, 45 at only 41 for someone who’s done so well all across the country!!